The Partick Thistle thread

14 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

McCall short video update:

- few niggling injuries so not everyone has played all of pre season

- reason for Motherwell game is to get a few trialists to play

- 1 signing certain (this was later revised to almost certain) for now who should be with us by middle of next week

- still 5 players short, defender, 1 or 2 wide players , midfielder (almost certain as above), and striker, but 2 or 3 of these should be done reasonably soon

- McCready away to Cowdenbeath on loan, if he continues to progress he'll be offered a new deal in January

- few other young players might go out on loan, but they will train with us. Stevenson and McKenzie won't be going out on loan this year, they'll have another year with under 18s, but McKenzie might be part of first team squad soon

- just under 1500 STs sold, on target for 2000.

Guessing McKinnon is the  "certain / almost certain" I'm not sure why he's not joining us til next week unless we're trying to hold off paying his wages for as long as possible.

Are you signing Fizpatrick surely you have seen enough now to pay us close to what we want and  get the deal done.

You will not get him for free so why wait .

14 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Are you signing Fizpatrick surely you have seen enough now to pay us close to what we want and  get the deal done.

Apologies if it wasn't clear from the post but I'm not in charge of signings at Thistle. 

Also your negotiating style is very off-putting. 

26 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

You will get what you are rightly due due to the format used in these cases. I may stand corrected, but I have seen a formatted figure of £ 9000 due. If that is in fact the case, that's what you will receive if Partick Thistle decide to pay that.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Surely it’s a set figure (as it’s compensation for development & he’s out of contract) rather than Queens dictating what they ‘want’ paid for a player who’s no longer even there’s?

Perhaps, that’s the stumbling block. 

The idea that QotS deserve anything is pretty mad IMO.

They didnt sign him as a youth prospect, they signed him as a first team player ready to go straight into their starting XI.

What would happen if Fitzpatrick wasnt deemed worth the ~£9k by any team? Does he just drop out the game because no one can afford/wants to pay the money to pay QotS the compensation they are "due"?

I know its set up to give clubs a bit of security when the big boys come calling for youth players, but it seems a bit wild in this situation.

Edit: Before anyone calls hypocrite, it is the same situation for us and Rudden. IMO we shouldnt be due anything for his development since we signed him to come straight into the first team.

Edited by Jacky1990

43 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

The idea that QotS deserve anything is pretty mad IMO.

They didnt sign him as a youth prospect, they signed him as a first team player ready to go straight into their starting XI.

What would happen if Fitzpatrick wasnt deemed worth the ~£9k by any team? Does he just drop out the game because no one can afford/wants to pay the money to pay QotS the compensation they are "due"?

I know its set up to give clubs a bit of security when the big boys come calling for youth players, but it seems a bit wild in this situation.

Edit: Before anyone calls hypocrite, it is the same situation for us and Rudden. IMO we shouldnt be due anything for his development since we signed him to come straight into the first team.

I don’t think we have received anything for Rudden anyway.

If I recall correctly Rudden still had 6 months on his contract when he went to Dundee?

Whereas Fitzpatrick doesn’t have anything left on his contract with QOTS when he is hoping to join us

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

I don’t think we have received anything for Rudden anyway.

If I recall correctly Rudden still had 6 months on his contract when he went to Dundee?

Whereas Fitzpatrick doesn’t have anything left on his contract with QOTS when he is hoping to join us

Both were still contracted to their respective clubs until the end of June though were they not? So surely there isn't much of a difference. No idea what we'll get if anything for Rudden but it was apparently going to be determined by a tribunal it's likely we'll never actually know however. 

Presumably Fitzpatrick's 'agreement' with Allan Johnston was never written down anywhere then, bit of an odd mistake for a player's agent to make. 

11 minutes ago, Jollyjag said:

Chris Burke  would he be a good signing

Only if we cant agree the Fitzpatrick deal. No need to have him, Fitzpatrick and Lawless all for a position McCall loves playing a CM in.

New striker should be the priority imo 

43 minutes ago, Jollyjag said:

In what way?

Mccall said he was looking to add pace and bring in younger players.  Burke doesn’t fit either of those

Edited by third lanark

2 hours ago, Jollyjag said:

If we hadn’t signed Lawless I’d have taken him as an experienced winger with a bit of skill but our next wide-signing has to have a bit of pace about them (ie Fitzpatrick). Burke would still do a job in this division though

16 hours ago, Greenacres said:

I genuinely think this money you keep going on about for Fitzpatrick is going to straight to your drug debt, Jesus where’s oor money where’s oor money. Calm down lad!

Edited by Thistle4eva

He did score 18 goals before he got covid & also injured though.

I think we could have held off and seen how this season started for him to see whether we would offer him another year, it's not like having a younger player where you want to have them secured just in case they improve and you're left with them out of contract. He's not going to a higher level at age 35 come the end of the season even if he scores 20 between now and then.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This is a bit of a surprise. I know he was injured but I thought he was starting to tail off in performance towards the end of last season. I'm not sure he has another 2 seasons at this level in him.

Maybe not a surprise when you think that he is involved with the women's team at the club so he will still be around so why not have him as a registered player, but I think we do need another striker as I believe Brian's appearances will tail off as time goes on. Good to have around the club I hear