The Partick Thistle thread

8 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Thistle fans are an odd lot at times, Sneddon makes a mistake he gets hung drawn and quartered. Stone on loan or Wright on loan last season makes a mistake, ach you gotta give them a run in the team blah blah. Wonder why fellow fans seem to prefer loan goalkeepers than giving one of our own a run in the team.

It’s not just that Sneddon makes mistakes, it’s that he’s proven over the course of several seasons that he simply isn’t good enough. Stone’s had one bad game, which is a bit different.

I’d prefer to give the guy who looks better a run in the team. I couldn’t give a f**k about ‘one of our own’ 

11 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Thistle fans are an odd lot at times, Sneddon makes a mistake he gets hung drawn and quartered. Stone on loan or Wright on loan last season makes a mistake, ach you gotta give them a run in the team blah blah. Wonder why fellow fans seem to prefer loan goalkeepers than giving one of our own a run in the team.

Makes a mistake? He’s made numerous ones when he has been in goal.  My concern is that he has been here for 4years and not really progressed much at all

12 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

If Sneddon stop making mistakes, the criticism will stop. If Stone continues to play like he did on saturday, he’ll also get criticised.

Personally, I thought (after hist first match back v. Forfar) that Sneddon looked much improved in last season's run-in. Commanded the area pretty well and looked adept at claiming crosses (which he hadn't previously to be fair). As such, I was happy with him being first choice this season unless someone obviously superior came along. He did seem to lose his bearings for the first v. Queens, but I would still be happy to see him get a run over Stone, who does not obviously seem to be a huge improvement going by last Saturday (and is only a loanee).

Sneddon is young for a keeper and I do think he is improving. His reputation has suffered by spending much of his first few seasons in front of a travesty of a defence, who also made the experienced Fox look like the worse keeper ever (which for all his faults, he clearly wasn't). I also think Sneddon's distribution is much better than Stone's and suits our style of play.

58 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Personally, I thought (after hist first match back v. Forfar) that Sneddon looked much improved in last season's run-in. Commanded the area pretty well and looked adept at claiming crosses (which he hadn't previously to be fair). As such, I was happy with him being first choice this season unless someone obviously superior came along. He did seem to lose his bearings for the first v. Queens, but I would still be happy to see him get a run over Stone, who does not obviously seem to be a huge improvement going by last Saturday (and is only a loanee).

Sneddon is young for a keeper and I do think he is improving. His reputation has suffered by spending much of his first few seasons in front of a travesty of a defence, who also made the experienced Fox look like the worse keeper ever (which for all his faults, he clearly wasn't). I also think Sneddon's distribution is much better than Stone's and suits our style of play.

If Sneddon is young for a goalkeeper then stone is clearly very young.

too early to judge stone as he has 2 league cup games where he was good, one game where he was really good in the league and one where he was dreadful

Sneddon might well be improving but after 4 years I really don’t think it’s unreasonable to have hoped for him to improve considerably more

16 minutes ago, third lanark said:

If Sneddon is young for a goalkeeper then stone is clearly very young.

too early to judge stone as he has 2 league cup games where he was good, one game where he was really good in the league and one where he was dreadful

Sneddon might well be improving but after 4 years I really don’t think it’s unreasonable to have hoped for him to improve considerably more

I think that Sneddon has the mitigating factor of how bad the defence has been in front of him and the general state of the club for much of the time he has been around. As I said, I saw lots of improvement in last season's run-in.

14 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Tbf, I'd have been happy to have Kieran Wright back. He seems to have been frozen out at Ibrox unless he's injured. Even Jay Hogarth, only 18, has been on the first-team bench a couple of times this season. 

I'm more concerned that McCall hasn't signed an experienced keeper this summer. A bit of nous is very useful in the Championship as it's a considerable step up from League One. There's still time to get one in.

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I think that Sneddon has the mitigating factor of how bad the defence has been in front of him and the general state of the club for much of the time he has been around. As I said, I saw lots of improvement in last season's run-in.

The goalkeeper can make a big difference in how the defence performs though. We used to see it when Cerny was out of the team and Ryan Scully or that massive German clown came in and everyone just looked more nervy and worse with him behind them.

I’m not suggesting that Sneddon is solely responsible, and I don’t think there’s a goalkeeper on Earth who could make a pairing of Steven Saunders and Sean McGinty look good, but I don’t think that having a shite defence is enough of a factor to excuse Sneddon’s shortcomings. I think he’s had more than a fair chance to make the first choice keeper position firmly his own, and he’s failed to do it because he’s not quite up to it.

The goalkeeper can make a big difference in how the defence performs though. We used to see it when Cerny was out of the team and Ryan Scully or that massive German clown came in and everyone just looked more nervy and worse with him behind them.
I’m not suggesting that Sneddon is solely responsible, and I don’t think there’s a goalkeeper on Earth who could make a pairing of Steven Saunders and Sean McGinty look good, but I don’t think that having a shite defence is enough of a factor to excuse Sneddon’s shortcomings. I think he’s had more than a fair chance to make the first choice keeper position firmly his own, and he’s failed to do it because he’s not quite up to it.
It's amazing to think Saunders has an international cap

Not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this, but would any of you (or anyone you know) fancy two tickets to the Morton game on Saturday? I bought a couple of tickets for Jackie Husband stand but can't attend anymore. No charge, just happy to give them away so they won't be wasted. 

Let me know and I can fire them over via email. 

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think we had 3 one cap wonders around that time. Two Scotland caps and one for a "neighbouring" country.

7 hours ago, third lanark said:

Makes a mistake? He’s made numerous ones when he has been in goal.  My concern is that he has been here for 4years and not really progressed much at all

And every time he makes one he gets dropped instantly and has never been given the chance to atone for the errors. He made some critical saves nearer the end of the season when he finally got a run in the team and his confidence grew. Previous to that he has played behind some horrific defenders. If you are going to back a loan player that has not shown anything impressive in the games he has played so far and had two howlers over someone that has actually contributed to our promotion last season then that is just poor show. Alas though you have made it clear numerous times you have a deep seated hatred for Sneddon.

3 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

And every time he makes one he gets dropped instantly and has never been given the chance to atone for the errors. He made some critical saves nearer the end of the season when he finally got a run in the team and his confidence grew. Previous to that he has played behind some horrific defenders. If you are going to back a loan player that has not shown anything impressive in the games he has played so far and had two howlers over someone that has actually contributed to our promotion last season then that is just poor show. Alas though you have made it clear numerous times you have a deep seated hatred for Sneddon.

What a load of over the top drivel.

deep seated hatred? For saying the guy hasn’t improved in 4 years-don’t make me laugh.  As for making critical saves at the end of the season Wright did the same but is that not what they are supposed to do rather than make crazy blunders

You refer to Stone as a loan keeper who has done nothing much but made 2 howlers.  Yep he did make 2 howlers and could in many ways have no complaints if he is dropped.  He didn’t do much wrong in the other 3 football games.  

3 minutes ago, third lanark said:

What a load of over the top drivel.

deep seated hatred? For saying the guy hasn’t improved in 4 years-don’t make me laugh.  As for making critical saves at the end of the season Wright did the same but is that not what they are supposed to do rather than make crazy blunders

You refer to Stone as a loan keeper who has done nothing much but made 2 howlers.  Yep he did make 2 howlers and could in many ways have no complaints if he is dropped.  He didn’t do much wrong in the other 3 football games.  

That is cause he didn't have much to do! And it is quite clear from your previous posts not just on this thread but over the forums that you certainly do have a deep hatred for the poor lad. Maybe you would prefer the Third Lanark goalkeeper instead ya daftie.

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:
3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Some players regress and others progress. IIRC Saunders was promising young right-back for Motherwell when he was capped over 10 years ago.

Who on here would have thought that, when he played for us, O'Donnell would become Scotland's first choice right-back? Probably no one.

11 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

That is cause he didn't have much to do! And it is quite clear from your previous posts not just on this thread but over the forums that you certainly do have a deep hatred for the poor lad. Maybe you would prefer the Third Lanark goalkeeper instead ya daftie.

He didn’t have much to do I’m sure he made a few saves against Dunfermline- but as I said he can have no complaints if he is dropped.

Please show me how it is quite clear that I have a deep hatred for Sneddon? Show me these threads where I poured out such hate for him then please that was any different to anyone else criticising him for making another blunder or for saying he hadn’t developed enough over 4 years 

Hiya Jamie, hiya pal.

2 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

If you are going to back a loan player that has not shown anything impressive in the games he has played so far and had two howlers over someone that has actually contributed to our promotion last season then that is just poor show. 

(I personally don’t have a massive preference either way, toss of a coin stuff in many respects). Stone has looked impressive in the games he’s played prior to Arbroath, we’ve not seen enough to judge over a consistent period of time yet (whereas people feel they have with Sneddon) but he had looked decent hence why he started v Arbroath. 

As for the loan player/ “our player” type of thing, I’d imagine the majority of fans don’t care which is which, as long as the best choice (people may disagree on who that is) starts. If a loan player is better than what we have, they should play, it shouldn’t come down to their contractual status.