The Partick Thistle thread

Fitzpatrick could easily be a Jack Hendry especially if he's training with St Johnstone.

Sell him to England for cut price but with sell on clause - - > gets freed by English team negating sell on clause - - >another Scottish team picks him up on a free and sells for megabucks. 

2 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Probably suggests we were right to take the money offered for him at the time too. What did we get, £250k?

I think it was £350k. Apparently Caldwell was keen to keep him but he was blinded by the lights...of Norwich. He must be an Alan Partridge fan....

6 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Always thought he left Thistle too early (understand the financial incentive etc.), but he was still only 17/18 and had only been semi-regular in the first team, another season with a good run of 30+ games would’ve have done him good. Still got a lot of time to develop into a decent player, has the attributes. 

Yeah, totally agree.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Many thought Billy Gilmour was a muppet for leaving Rangers for Chelsea for example. 

I think first team experience is a bit overrated when it comes to how good or developed a player is. Coaching and development is what Aidan needs. 

Wonder if we'll ask the question. Would be more than happy with that.

3 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

I think it was £350k. Apparently Caldwell was keen to keep him but he was blinded by the lights...of Norwich. He must be an Alan Partridge fan....

Are you suggesting that Norwich arent a monumentally bigger club than Thistle?

Outside the arse cheeks, they are bigger than anything in Scotland.

Weird thing to suggest Norwich is a bad destination for players from us.

8 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Probably suggests we were right to take the money offered for him at the time too. What did we get, £250k?

Ironically, the club got absolute pelters from some fans at the time for accepting the offer from Norwich. 

Edited by JagsCG

2 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Wonder if we'll ask the question. Would be more than happy with that.

I would be surprised if McCall wasn’t interested in him, he’s still young enough that he can develop into a very decent player and McCall has a very good track record with developing players. He also plays in an exact position we’re still looking for probably another option in. 

Edited by JagsCG

5 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Are you suggesting that Norwich arent a monumentally bigger club than Thistle?

Outside the arse cheeks, they are bigger than anything in Scotland.

Weird thing to suggest Norwich is a bad destination for players from us.

No.

Hastie is a terrific signing if he can recapture his Motherwell form. Rumours of a Billy Bigbaws attitude since he went to Ibrox and has had his knuckles wrapped a few times by Gerrard for his attitude. He is worth the gamble though. Another defender and we are looking in good shape. This team is built to score goals!!

Just now, Sting777 said:

Hastie is a terrific signing if he can recapture his Motherwell form.*

*Provided you mean his Motherwell form of January-March 2019.

He was excellent for about 8 or 9 games out of absolutely nowhere, somehow managed to blag a ££££ 4 year contract off Rangers and hasn't done much since. He was so painfully devoid of any confidence last season that it became quite difficult to watch him. There's a few of us think if you just stick him on the left and asked him to cross a ball he might have more joy than trying to cut in off the right every time he gets the ball. 

Either way I think this is the most sensible move for him to try and resurrect his career a bit.

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Would be incredibly surprised if thistle don’t finish top 4 this years. In fact, anything less would be a bit of a failure given the quality of the squad.

Graham, Rudden, Tiffoney, Smith, Hastie, Murray and MacIver fighting it out for 3/4 places is the best group of forwards in the league, IMO. We've still got at least one, I'd imagine two (RB and CB) defenders to come in. I know a few Thistle fans thought before this season that a mid-table finish would be fine, but I totally agree.

Obviously Kilmarnock are the favourites, and it's early days but looking at the rest of the teams if we finished 5th that would be a very poor season.

40 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

*Provided you mean his Motherwell form of January-March 2019.

He was excellent for about 8 or 9 games out of absolutely nowhere, somehow managed to blag a ££££ 4 year contract off Rangers and hasn't done much since. He was so painfully devoid of any confidence last season that it became quite difficult to watch him. There's a few of us think if you just stick him on the left and asked him to cross a ball he might have more joy than trying to cut in off the right every time he gets the ball. 

Either way I think this is the most sensible move for him to try and resurrect his career a bit.

Can only echo @well fan for life.

There's 100% a pler there with Hastie. I've argued for a while that that purple patch he had fucked him in a way because he seemed to be defined as an inverted winger. He made such an impact stuck out on the right and cutting in on to his left that it became his position. The problem is (IMO) that he's not technical enough to do anything other than cut on to his left from that area of the park so all that happened is teams quickly got wise to him showed him outside and that was that.

He looked a shadow of the player we'd seen when he came back on loan and his confidence was absolutely shot. The fact that 2nd time around Robinson just kept shoving him out there even when he was literally tripping over the ball trying to beat his man seemed mental to me.

I watched him a lot for our u20s when Craigan was managing him and for the most part he was used wide left (his natural side) or occasionally as a striker and he had pace, directness and scored a lot of goals. Different types too.

A club like Thistle 100% makes sense as a move and I genuinely hope he gets the chance to kick on.

Obviously everyone's aware of him based on the form he had for our first team that got him his move to Ibrox (and got him paid) but here's a u20s game against Accies where he scores a hat-trick.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Graham, Rudden, Tiffoney, Smith, Hastie, Murray and MacIver fighting it out for 3/4 places is the best group of forwards in the league, IMO. We've still got at least one, I'd imagine two (RB and CB) defenders to come in. I know a few Thistle fans thought before this season that a mid-table finish would be fine, but I totally agree.

Obviously Kilmarnock are the favourites, and it's early days but looking at the rest of the teams if we finished 5th that would be a very poor season.

5th would be VERY poor? Really?

Given McCall's statements about preferring inverted wingers and that Tiffoney is much better on the left I can see Hastie starting on the right.

At this point in time I wouldn't swap our attacking options for any other team in the league (though i'd expect Killie to sign one or two more by the end of the month)

Not sure about budgets, the extra £350k the championship teams got from the grants last year is relatively huge plus Hamilton would have received a parachute payment plus a transfer fee for Odoffin.

Agree with the general point that unless we get battered by injuries (noting we've already lost our first choice CB for the season) anything outside top 4 would be below par.

I'd think anything less than a top four position would be very disappointing and would hope we can challenge for the title right to the end of the season.

Obviously a long way to go but I am seeing more encouraging signs than negative ones so that is promising at this early stage.

As it stands Iwould expect KFC to grind their way to the title through an attritional, Ross County-esque campaign. But you just never know...

Edited by jagfox BLM

When we knew we were getting promoted, I’d have gladly taken mid table mediocrity this season just based on what an absolute shambles our two previous efforts at this level had been.

Having seen the squad we have now though, I agree we should be looking at fourth minimum. Anything less will be a bit of a failure. Obviously things like long term injuries to a couple of key players could scupper that, but I’m hopeful if a good campaign.

On Hastie, I’m pleased with him as it provides us with another pacey option, and, although he’s not done much since, if he can recapture some of his “Motherwell early 2019” form, he should do very well in this league. I also think that McCall could be the perfect manager for him at this stage of his career, so really hopeful it all works out.