The Partick Thistle thread

6 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

It's a monumental day for The Thistle Archive, as we're now very proud to put all 147 seasons of Partick Thistle match history at your fingertips. Although there is much still to be done, every single game is profiled to varying extents. As you explore, you will notice that we have around 800 matches covered with video highlights, with many more yet to be digitally transferred from old VHS and DVD formats. In total, our Archive now has 13,183 active web pages for the Thistle community to reference and enjoy, so please help to spread the word wherever you can.

Had a look at our League Cup finals in the 50s and have ruined my night by learning just how close we were against Celtic in '56, drawing the first game with 2 injured men before a hapless 3-0 defeat in the replay.

The Little Report AET. H. Smith aggravated his ankle injury (39), was a passenger and missed ET. Davidson (head gash) played at inside-right in the 2nd half. Thistle fought on with 9 fit men against punchless Celtic and 2 late saves from Hogan and MacKenzie in ET denied them before Ledgerwood saved the day (89).

15 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Had a look at our League Cup finals in the 50s and have ruined my night by learning just how close we were against Celtic in '56, drawing the first game with 2 injured men before a hapless 3-0 defeat in the replay.

Ooft! No end of misery on The Thistle Archive...

http://www.thethistlearchive.net/who-put-the-ball-in-the-rangers-net-13

Brilliant work on the archive stuff obviously, was looking at what games had Youtube highlights, can see Killie, Dunfermline and Clyde have certainly kept good records, or at least in the case of Clyde the games they beat us... 

Bit annoying how few games there are from the 2002-04 period, all the games would have been filmed by the BBC at that time so presume at some point they've been binned. 

Also noticed Ocholi has gone to Benburb on loan - I always think going out on loan below league two is a sign that they're not going to make it but I suppose Erskine and Doolan were still in the juniors (I know it's a different league setup now) aged 22. 

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Also noticed Ocholi has gone to Benburb on loan - I always think going out on loan below league two is a sign that they're not going to make it but I suppose Erskine and Doolan were still in the juniors (I know it's a different league setup now) aged 22. 

Anytime I hear McCall talking about the young players he’s always saying “Lyons and Owens have a real chance of making it”. Doesn’t seem to have the same hopes for Ocholi (think he’s thrown out “and Gospel if he works really hard” on one occasion). 

13 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Brilliant work on the archive stuff obviously, was looking at what games had Youtube highlights, can see Killie, Dunfermline and Clyde have certainly kept good records, or at least in the case of Clyde the games they beat us... 

Bit annoying how few games there are from the 2002-04 period, all the games would have been filmed by the BBC at that time so presume at some point they've been binned.

There's around 200 games on DVDs awaiting conversion, 30 or so coming next week, do not despair ; - )

The reaction to the potential signing of McDaid makes me wonder what some people would have made of Lambie’s signings if they’d had widespread social media back then. Regularly we signed ‘duds’ on free transfer from Accies, Falkirk, Dundee etc, who then went onto be great players for us. Now some people start hunting players out the door in response to an internet rumour, let alone an actual transfer. 

3 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

The reaction to the potential signing of McDaid makes me wonder what some people would have made of Lambie’s signings if they’d had widespread social media back then. Regularly we signed ‘duds’ on free transfer from Accies, Falkirk, Dundee etc, who then went onto be great players for us. Now some people start hunting players out the door in response to an internet rumour, let alone an actual transfer. 

Lambert was the greatest turd-polisher in Scottish football history 

4 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

One of my favourite days as a Thistle fan was when we signed Alex Burns. I was pretty young at the time and McLean was my hero. I was raging we signed competition for Trigger 😂. I could be wrong but I’m sure he scored that day.

Another great memory of that season was our first game against St Mirren the 3-3 draw.. at the time I was just growing up and getting proper Into football.. Had just started doing the whole Scottish Premiership sticker book the season before.. so I thought these guys that had stickers were superstars.

Anyway whatever the score was at the time I said it, I turned to my granda and said well granda they aren’t even that good we will definitely win this league now.. he kind of looked at me As if ok son you don’t really realise who you’ve been supporting for the last few years do you 😂

Great result and couldn't have hoped for a better start.

Two clear penalties not given, scoreline could have been even better  but have to be happy with a 3-0 win away from home.

McCall has been spot on with his summary on last two games and agree that this team is going to score goals. If we can defend well then who knows..

Pretty sure he'll stick with Stone for season now, looks very comfortable.

Question fir the kit fanatics - if we have "alternative" red shorts available and don't wear them against a team wearing black shorts, when are we going to wear them?

1 hour ago, Jag71 said:

Question fir the kit fanatics - if we have "alternative" red shorts available and don't wear them against a team wearing black shorts, when are we going to wear them?

This is Scottish football so probably against another team with red shorts.

First half was as good As I’ve seen in a long time Banzo. Was terrific  What’s worrying me if the officials don’t see  the penalty claims as penalties then we should be worried as you won’t see  more blatant penalties this year

I don't think the pens were that blatant. There's a hand on Tiffoney but he goes down far too easily. I'd be livid if that was given the other way. The one where the keeper looks to trip him, it very much looks like he gets the ball on first viewing (and that's all that matters). 

I don't mind a sense of injustice at blatant pelanties, but these weren't blatant imo.

11 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't think the pens were that blatant. There's a hand on Tiffoney but he goes down far too easily. I'd be livid if that was given the other way. The one where the keeper looks to trip him, it very much looks like he gets the ball on first viewing (and that's all that matters). 

I don't mind a sense of injustice at blatant pelanties, but these weren't blatant imo.

Pretty much that exact penalty did get given against us the last time we played at EEP and O'Ware got sent off for it.

It would have been soft in that there's not a huge amount of contact but when you're running flat out there doesn't need to be. Agree about the Rudden one, keeper does get the ball.

8 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

When you're running flat out there doesn't need to be.

This is absolute bollocks pedalled by the goons on MOTD as a way to justify guys like Gareth Bale and Harry Kane diving.

If folk can run the 110m hurdles at world record speed, clip those hurdles and still stay on their feet, it proves the concept is pish.

Edited by Jacky1990