The Partick Thistle thread

36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I don't know of a single Pars fan who has any feelings for Partick Thistle tbh. I've seen a few Thistle fans try to make out this is the case, citing a one off game from years ago as evidence, the fact that every game since has passed without any ill feeling seems to escape a fanbase that is absolutely desperate for someone, anyone other than Clyde to have feelings for them, let it go. 

The fans were seething at the owners of the club at the 4-0 game, the game was an absolute sideshow where some fans managed to batter the bookies, the team got clapped of at half time when they were losing 4-0. I wasn't aware Thistle fans were even waving money and I've not heard it mentioned by any fan since. Sounds like you're placing a bit too much significance on that event aswell. 

Talk of this tearing Scottish football apart is hyperbolic pish, Rangers going into liquidition wasn't armageddon, Hearts and Partick losing this court case won't touch the sides. Partick will in all likelihood get promoted this year, have some siege mentality for the next in the championship, and in 5 years time this will be another interesting anecdote in the history of Scottish football. 

Not heard anything about the 'waving cash' stuff either. Thistle fans were in the Cowden end that game so who exactly were they waving cash to? 

The 3-3 at Firhill was bizarre. Fans who had just won the league were far more interested in trying to noise up away fans. Strange. Plenty of Pars fans were annoyed but once everyone left the ground that was pretty much it. No hint of bother outside and have never seen any hint of bother since either, and have seen fans of both clubs mix freely in pubs before and after games.

46 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

There's only two things that could ever really be charged with 'tearing Scottish football apart' and they both come from Glasgow. 

Agreed. But some clubs and the footballing authorities only listen to the two scumbags. Including Thiistle. So. It's nice to see us standing up for ourselves for once.. 

38 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not heard anything about the 'waving cash' stuff either. Thistle fans were in the Cowden end that game so who exactly were they waving cash to? 

The 3-3 at Firhill was bizarre. Fans who had just won the league were far more interested in trying to noise up away fans. Strange. Plenty of Pars fans were annoyed but once everyone left the ground that was pretty much it. No hint of bother outside and have never seen any hint of bother since either, and have seen fans of both clubs mix freely in pubs before and after games.

I wasn't at the Firhill game but did Partick not win it the week before at Falkirk? Going by the footage it was a very half arsed pitch invasion, they're at their best when they are spur of the moment celebrations, not sure if one happened at the TFS but I'd imagine those were the main celebrations for the title. 

A draw away at Partick was actually a good result, it was the Airdrie game that dumped us in the playoffs, and then the resulting playoffs that relegated us. 

And aye whenever we've played Partick they've always came across as a decent bunch in the pub. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Talk of this tearing Scottish football apart is hyperbolic pish, Rangers going into liquidition wasn't armageddon, Hearts and Partick losing this court case won't touch the sides. Partick will in all likelihood get promoted this year, have some siege mentality for the next in the championship, and in 5 years time this will be another interesting anecdote in the history of Scottish football. 

Agreed in general, but wouldn’t be too confident of us going up this year, with Falkirk and Cove in the same division.

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I wasn't at the Firhill game but did Partick not win it the week before at Falkirk? Going by the footage it was a very half arsed pitch invasion, they're at their best when they are spur of the moment celebrations, not sure if one happened at the TFS but I'd imagine those were the main celebrations for the title. 

A draw away at Partick was actually a good result, it was the Airdrie game that dumped us in the playoffs, and then the resulting playoffs that relegated us. 

And aye whenever we've played Partick they've always came across as a decent bunch in the pub. 

We’d won the league by winning at Falkirk the previous game, yes. And while a 3-3 draw with the league winners wasn’t the worst result on paper for you, the fact that you were 3-1 up (and guaranteed to be safe) at about the 85 minute mark kind of overrules that imo. Obviously the Airdrie and Cowdenbeath situations were embarrassing but really they shouldn’t have been allowed to be meaningful fixtures in the first place if you’d just seen out a 2 goal lead against a team who were on the beach.

We’d won the league by winning at Falkirk the previous game, yes. And while a 3-3 draw with the league winners wasn’t the worst result on paper for you, the fact that you were 3-1 up (and guaranteed to be safe) at about the 85 minute mark kind of overrules that imo. Obviously the Airdrie and Cowdenbeath situations were embarrassing but really they shouldn’t have been allowed to be meaningful fixtures in the first place if you’d just seen out a 2 goal lead against a team who were on the beach.

Agreed but how sad is it that we can’t be confident of promotion because of Cove.

4 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Personally  I think we will do well to make top 4 ahead of Cove, Falkirk, Airdrie and Montrose.

Not sure about that, wouldn’t see Top 4 in League One as a success (even if it became a reality). Only promotion through play offs or automatically would mean a successful season for us at the level I reckon. McCall’s Job would be under immense threat if we aren’t promoted next season. 

31 minutes ago, JudgeMudge said:

Agreed but how sad is it that we can’t be confident of promotion because of Cove.

We’ve been up against no mark diddy clubs chucking cash around at this level before. They’re not quite on the level of Gretna, but I’d guess they’ll still be up there contending for promotion.

16 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Not sure about that, wouldn’t see Top 4 in League One as a success (even if it became a reality). Only promotion through play offs or automatically would mean a successful season for us at the level I reckon. McCall’s Job would be under immense threat if we aren’t promoted next season. 

McCall should binned now!

16 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

McCall should binned now!

Disagree, and even still, we can’t be wasting cash to pay him off (think he’s on a 3 yr deal) , and I’m not sure there’s many managers that would jump ship to us at the moment. McCall will go if we don’t get promoted, next season, because that should be our aim, and it will be McCall’s. 

22 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

We’ve been up against no mark diddy clubs chucking cash around at this level before. They’re not quite on the level of Gretna, but I’d guess they’ll still be up there contending for promotion.

Cove will definitely be around Top 4, had the leagues been played to a proper finish, Queen’s Park would probably have come up in the play offs, and they’d also be challenging at the top end of the League 1 table, would now expect them to walk League 2 next season. 

7 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Disagree, and even still, we can’t be wasting cash to pay him off (think he’s on a 3 yr deal) , and I’m not sure there’s many managers that would jump ship to us at the moment. McCall will go if we don’t get promoted, next season, because that should be our aim, and it will be McCall’s. 

McCall should have taken us off the bottom. He has been so underwhelming. He had plenty of time to sort it out. He failed big time.

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

McCall should have taken us off the bottom. He has been so underwhelming. He had plenty of time to sort it out. He failed big time.

Undoubtedly, any relegation for our club is a failure, but that doesn’t take away from the fact we can’t afford to sack him. I personally (and this is just my view) think he didn’t just become a bad manager overnight and I do have confidence he’ll get us back to where we belong, I think he can build a squad, play decent football and win football matches. As seen with Ayr recently on a small budget, or Airdrie and Clydebank in his early days, with a small budget. I like McCall in a personal and a football sense, and believe he wants to do well. He’s made some bad decisions recently, no doubt about it. 

2 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Undoubtedly, any relegation for our club is a failure, but that doesn’t take away from the fact we can’t afford to sack him. I personally (and this is just my view) think he didn’t just become a bad manager overnight and I do have confidence he’ll get us back to where we belong, I think he can build a squad, play decent football and win football matches. As seen with Ayr recently on a small budget, or Airdrie and Clydebank in his early days, with a small budget. I like McCall in a personal and a football sense, and believe he wants to do well. He’s made some bad decisions recently, no doubt about it. 

His management since he came back has been shocking. He totally underestimated the job in hand. I agree we probably cant afford to bin him. I dont have any confidence in him at all, not when he constantly played duffers like Bannigan, O'Ware and Penrice and signings like Barjonas.

18 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

His management since he came back has been shocking. He totally underestimated the job in hand. I agree we probably cant afford to bin him. I dont have any confidence in him at all, not when he constantly played duffers like Bannigan, O'Ware and Penrice and signings like Barjonas.

Fresh start now though. He has a proper window and pre-season to get us ready to win a league (admittedly the pandemic like for all clubs does not help pre-season preparations on or off the field) . 
The strange thing about McCall last season was, he seemed to do better with Caldwell’s duds than his own signings, for example, his substitutions in the 3-1 game at Dens Park, showed the manager he was, Shea Gordon came on and changed the game. I think we were slowly improving with McCall’s players just before lockdown, but it wasn’t nearly enough as we should have been or what I was expecting. Barjonas was a dreadful signing, I agree 100% with you there, if that guy thinks he’s making it at Ibrox or any other decent level he’s got another thing coming. 

26 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

There’s some amount of pish being spoken on this thread, even compared to other times when no football is on.

This, exactly this

Edited by bad chad
Added Content

15 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Fresh start now though. He has a proper window and pre-season to get us ready to win a league (admittedly the pandemic like for all clubs does not help pre-season preparations on or off the field) . 
The strange thing about McCall last season was, he seemed to do better with Caldwell’s duds than his own signings, for example, his substitutions in the 3-1 game at Dens Park, showed the manager he was, Shea Gordon came on and changed the game. I think we were slowly improving with McCall’s players just before lockdown, but it wasn’t nearly enough as we should have been or what I was expecting. Barjonas was a dreadful signing, I agree 100% with you there, if that guy thinks he’s making it at Ibrox or any other decent level he’s got another thing coming. 

Not really improving at all, after the window...

Oct - 3 PTS from 12
Nov - 4 PTS from 12
Dec - 9 PTS from 12
Jan - 2 PTS from 12
Feb/Mar - 3 PTS from 12

Including the game in September he took 24 points from 63 available.