The Partick Thistle thread

Underwhelming.

I saw Ofere at the cup final and BungleBonce sums up his performance on that occasion, minus the goals :(

Ugwu sounds like a similar player to Nathan Ecclestone :(

Gary Miller in the Evening Crimes apparently wants to score more goals this season than he managed for the Saintees; 1 goal in 3 seasons :(

Archie continues his striker search and has irons in the fire...

I don't know if with the movement in our team we could get by with someone in the mould of Ofere or John Sutton? What are Higdon and that other target guy, Chris Holden(?) up to this weather?

it sounds like Ofere would be a good rival for Doolan who has a great first touch but doesn't score goals.

That'll be the Kris Doolan who has 70 odd goals for us and has scored at least 10 a season in the last 4 or 5 seasons?

I really liked Gary Miller when he was at Ross County.

When he was first at County on loan and then permanently, he had the capacity to knock the ball past a winger or play a one-two deep in his own half and then surge up the park with the ball, turning defence into attack in an instant. It was one of my favourite things about watching County in the Derek Adams years, to see the full-backs bomb forward and he looked dangerous at full speed. I think players like Miller (and SOD) are better at full-back than midfield because they need the extra space to accelerate into. Defensively, he was a bit of a disaster waiting to happen and there was a spell where he would rarely go a game without flailing an assault at someone because it seemed he didn't know how to deal with them.

When Adams left for Hibs, Willie McStay and Jimmy Calderwood didn't play him much because they preferred a solid defender and Jimmy C tried him at right mid which SH alluded to, but it didn't work and I can only think of him starting there once and coming on as a sub there another time.

When Adams came back for the title winning season 2011-12, the whole defensive unit was solid and Miller was probably the most improved player in the team. He was still brilliant going forward but very little got past him as he learned to defend more narrowly. Grant Munro's experience in the back line helped no end to the team shape.

Then he went to St Johnstone. I think he was poorly advised because he was never going to usurp Dave McKay. Miller is stronger now and is more broad than he was at County and I wonder if that has taken an edge off his acceleration, but on the flipside has been working for years with very good defenders so I doubt he is a worse player than he was when he joined. He might not pull off the spectacular like SOD but he'll still offer an outlet - and he'll defend the far post a lot better too.

I actually think Miller is a better defender than he is going forward these days. His one goal aside (which was a ridiculous solo goal against Motherwell, where he picked the ball up just inside their half, ran completely unchecked to just outside the six yard box and lashed the ball into the top corner) he didn't really provide much attacking impotus for us. When he did get forward, which wasn't as often as Mackay and probably not even as much as Easton/Scobbie on the left, his distribution was pretty woeful.

He was a solid defender for us though. Didn't often get caught for pace and read the game reasonably well. He did have a couple of reasonably high profile howlers last season - the mistake away to Spartak Trnava being the worst of those - but those were pretty rare in his time with us.

I much preferred him defensively than I did going forward, but he was never really close to displacing Dave Mackay as our first choice.

I really liked Gary Miller when he was at Ross County.

When he was first at County on loan and then permanently, he had the capacity to knock the ball past a winger or play a one-two deep in his own half and then surge up the park with the ball, turning defence into attack in an instant. It was one of my favourite things about watching County in the Derek Adams years, to see the full-backs bomb forward and he looked dangerous at full speed. I think players like Miller (and SOD) are better at full-back than midfield because they need the extra space to accelerate into. Defensively, he was a bit of a disaster waiting to happen and there was a spell where he would rarely go a game without flailing an assault at someone because it seemed he didn't know how to deal with them.

When Adams left for Hibs, Willie McStay and Jimmy Calderwood didn't play him much because they preferred a solid defender and Jimmy C tried him at right mid which SH alluded to, but it didn't work and I can only think of him starting there once and coming on as a sub there another time.

When Adams came back for the title winning season 2011-12, the whole defensive unit was solid and Miller was probably the most improved player in the team. He was still brilliant going forward but very little got past him as he learned to defend more narrowly. Grant Munro's experience in the back line helped no end to the team shape.

Then he went to St Johnstone. I think he was poorly advised because he was never going to usurp Dave McKay. Miller is stronger now and is more broad than he was at County and I wonder if that has taken an edge off his acceleration, but on the flipside has been working for years with very good defenders so I doubt he is a worse player than he was when he joined. He might not pull off the spectacular like SOD but he'll still offer an outlet - and he'll defend the far post a lot better too.

How would you rate Miller at centre back?

Edited by Alan Murray

That'll be the Kris Doolan who has 70 odd goals for us and has scored at least 10 a season in the last 4 or 5 seasons?

Whilst having the compete with Taylor for just shy of half of the time the last two seasons.

I'd be very surprised if we found a better striker than Doolan, and I'd be more than happy to start the season with him. I'm not even sure Taylor was an improvement.

Edited by Firhill Road

Been told that Lee Barnard, ex Southend and Southampton, is training with us with a view to signing before Saturday. Apparently big pals with Seaborne, who he played with at Southampton.

Whilst having the compete with Taylor for just shy of half of the time the last two seasons.

I'd be very surprised if we found a better striker than Doolan, and I'd be more than happy to start the season with him. I'm not even sure Taylor was an improvement.

I don't think he was an improvement - although that's arguable - but he was a different option, which is what we needed. The Lawless goal against ICT is the shining example of that. Doolan starts the game, looks like it's heading for a 0-0. Ball up top, Taylor does brilliantly to lay it off, goal. We just wouldn't have got that goal had Doolan been on the pitch.

Of course conversely, had Doolan been on the pitch for some of the one-on-ones Taylor blootered at the keeper, we might have got more goals. Bottom line is we're fine to go with Doolan as a starter, but another option in the mould of Taylor would be a good addition.

Been told that Lee Barnard, ex Southend and Southampton, is training with us with a view to signing before Saturday. Apparently big pals with Seaborne, who he played with at Southampton.

Aye OK, as long as he bring his burd wi him.

article-2337469-1A32EAEC000005DC-571_306

according to twitter he was on trial at crawley 2 days ago?

Lee Barnard - completely nondescript career in England failing to make it at 2 big clubs and bouncing about the lower leagues on loan his whole career.

Still owns a 14 bed town house and has a playboy model for a wife.

Wonder why payers jump at the chance to go down south?