The Partick Thistle thread

32 minutes ago, colliedug said:

I'm in the camp of " I don't want him getting the job cos when it goes wrong, I personally don't want to give him grief cos he was a legend" but I've thought more on it & he seems to talk well when asked anything but the defining thing will be his signings.ย 

Always remember no matter what manager or what team it is, all managers can't last forever at one team, the greatest managers in the world get sacked or move on if they do well at a certain level.

So on that thought I'm willing to get right behind Dools and forget all the usual shite managerial merry go round & look forward to the future, c'mon the jagsย 

Exactly my thoughts.

Only have to look at the distain Archie or Gerry or Roughy is now held in to see how it can all go wrong pretty quickly.

Always though McCall would make a good DOF type as his signings tend to be pretty decent, just seems to lack tactically and in game management. Oh well.

Is Archie really faced with disdain in our support?

Speaking personally, I still have a lot of respect for Archibald for what he did for this club, both as a player and as a manager. He should have probably walked/been sacked before he was during his stint as manager, but for the majority of his 5+ years he was really good in the dugout. Most people I speak to feel the same.

Britton and Rough's legacies at the club aren't remotely comparable to Archie's, imo. Britton was a legend, but there's only so long you can make a mess of things in completely different ways before you become intolerable. A shite performance as a manager can be forgiven; subsequently turning the club into a shambles off the pitch and continually getting promoted for it, before latching yourself onto the despicable Jacqui Low despite the majority of the fanbase's open disdain for her really wasn't a great look for him. Alan Rough is an entirely different one again, in that he doesn't really give a shit about Partick Thistle and we've just been a vehicle for him to stay relevant over the past couple of decades.

If Kris Doolan goes in either the Britton or Roughie direction in the next 20 years, then maybe that will tarnish his reputation, but I'd be willing to go out on a limb and suggest that he's nothing like either of those types of character.

Edited by Nightmare

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Speaking personally, I still have a lot of respect for Archibald for what he did for this club, both as a player and as a manager. He should have probably walked/been sacked before he was during his stint as manager, but for the majority of his 5+ years he was really good in the dugout. Most people I speak to feel the same.

Britton and Rough's legacies at the club aren't remotely comparable to Archie's, imo. Britton was a legend, but there's only so long you can make a mess of things in completely different ways before you become intolerable. A shite performance as a manager can be forgiven; subsequently turning the club into a shambles off the pitch and continually getting promoted for it, before latching yourself onto the despicable Jacqui Low despite the majority of the fanbase's open disdain for her really wasn't a great look for him. Alan Rough is an entirely different one again, in that he doesn't really give a shit about Partick Thistle and we've just been a vehicle for him to stay relevant over the past couple of decades.

If Kris Doolan goes in either the Britton or Roughie direction in the next 20 years, then maybe that will tarnish his reputation, but I'd be willing to go out on a limb and suggest that he's nothing like either of those types of character.

Archie is a huge legend especially as a manager to anyone with a brain.ย 

9 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

This

13 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Has the length of contract been mentioned anywhere?

I hope I'm wrong, but really not sure Dools is the right man long term. Fine til end of the season, but would have prefered someone else in tbh.

Who, though?ย  One of the usual revolving door of dinosaurs and journeymen managers in Scottish football, like Yogi "John" Hughes?ย  A young and hungry manager does sometimes work, as Imrie is showing at Greenock.

Doolan is young, intelligent, motivated to succeed, by all accounts is a model pro, speaks very well, and (albeit on a very small sample size) has done better than OK so far.ย  I get that loving the club isn't necessarily an advantage in a manager, and none of us wants to see him end up failing and sacked - but for me, he is the right man in the short and possibly medium term. Unless our form tails off badly, I don't see why he shouldn't be given the squad rebuild and then next season, which is by no means going to be a promotion chasing one given we've got nae money.ย 

No one knows what the long-term holds and often the best you can hope for with a long-term manager is mid-table stagnation, which is what McCall has ultimately delivered having spaffed the large budget given to him by a delusional and incompetent board.ย 

Doolan has signed a permanent contract at Firhill with no fixed term, as is standard at the Championship club.

From James Cairneyโ€™s interview with Doolan in todayโ€™s Evening Times.ย 

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/23362352.newly-appointed-thistle-manager-kris-doolan-bursting-pride/

Edited by JagsCG

Watched Mitchell's post match and he described the pitch as difficult. I know at this point in the season it's never going to be pristine but given it hadn't seen any football for a month that's a pretty poor showing.ย 

12 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Watched Mitchell's post match and he described the pitch as difficult. I know at this point in the season it's never going to be pristine but given it hadn't seen any football for a month that's a pretty poor showing.ย 

Thought that yesterday,ย  after all the money spent on it and no games on it for a while it still looked poorย 

All the post-match updates in place via the home page โ†’

:detective:ย  ROVERS RUN ENDED AT FIRHILL

โ— Kyle Turner's excellent assist is his 19th in competitive action in less than 2 seasons.
โ— Brian Graham is on the ascent in all goals charts, and today moves outright into our All Time Top 40 League scorers chart with 37 goals to his name.
โ— Kris Doolan's Jags retire at half-time with a one nil lead for the third time in his four games. They've yet to concede a first half goal.
โ— Harry Milne registers his 5th assist of the season to go with his 5 goals, giving him a fine double figures return in competitive action.
โ— Scott Tiffoney nets his second brace as a Jag, following on from his League double away to Airdrie in March 2021.
โ— Aidan Fitzpatrick hits a new personal best of 13 consecutive appearances in competitive action.
โ— Referee Greg Aitken awards what can only be described as an embarrassing penalty award to Raith Rovers, mis-reading a situation directly in front of him. In his last 13 Thistle games he's awarded six penalties against Thistle and only one in favour.
โ— David Mitchell faces a Raith Rovers penalty for the second time this season, the first being the final nail in a 3-0 League defeat at Stark's Park in October.
โ— David Mitchell is the first Thistle goalie to save a penalty which preserved a winning clean-sheet in the League since Kenny Arthur did so at Pittodrie in February 2003.
โ— Stuart Bannigan, Jagzone man of the match, has yet to be booked in his testimonial year!
โ— Raith Rovers 14 game unbeaten run (reportedly their best in 30 years) comes to an end at Firhill.
โ— Kris Doolan, confirmed as permanent new manager the day before, is the 4th Partick Thistle gaffer to remain unbeaten in his first 4 competitive matches. Only Murdo MacLeod (5) and Alan Archibald (10) have been on longer runs.
ย 
ongoing sequences:
โ— 37 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

7 hours ago, jaggyness said:

I donโ€™t think the pitch looked any worse than it normally does (not counting last season) at this time of year. Quite a few of the pitches in the division have looked poor recently.

Greig aitkens performance yesterday was utterly disgraceful surely someone from the SFA must know how incompetent he is stonewall penalty when Tiffoney shoved in penalty box every time he referees our games there is controversy he couldnโ€™t keep up with play looked completely unfit there penalty alone should be enough evidence to get rid 6 penalties in 13 games against us says it all

Noticed looking at the bbc stats for this year McMillan has had 6 assists and 1 goal. Milne has had 4 assists and 5 goals (league). Pretty impressive returns from fullbacks. Must be the best since SOD and Taylor-Sinclair last time we promoted. If not better with 10 games to play as well. @The Thistle Archiveย I wondered if you might know if this has ever been bettered by our 2 full backs in recent memory.ย McCall was rightly relieved but looking at these two, both have been really brilliant signings and I wouldnโ€™t swap either for any other full back in the league. Graham also has 11 goals/6 assists in 22 games. Considering he has came off the bench in a few of those and doesnโ€™t often play 90 minutes at the age of 35, a goal every other game with 17 contributions in is very impressive.

^ Seriously, you should ignore every single stats site out there when it comes to Partick Thistle assists. The Thistle Archive is literally the only place online which is recording these accurately and consistently. We take you back as far as 2013-14 in our season-by-season charts, so you can have a look and see how McMillan and Milne compare from then onwards. 2012-13 data would be worth researching, yet more on the never-ending to do...

What's amazing about McMillan this season is that he's on the verge of taking his assists into double figures, and would only be the third Jag to get there in the last 10 seasons. He'd definitely be the first defender to do so within that time frame.

PTFC Squad Stats โ†’

4 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

^ Seriously, you should ignore every single stats site out there when it comes to Partick Thistle assists. The Thistle Archive is literally the only place online which is recording these accurately and consistently. We take you back as far as 2013-14 in our season-by-season charts, so you can have a look and see how McMillan and Milne compare from then onwards. 2012-13 data would be worth researching, yet more on the never-ending to do...

What's amazing about McMillan this season is that he's on the verge of taking his assists into double figures, and would only be the third Jag to get there in the last 10 seasons. He'd definitely be the first defender to do so within that time frame.

PTFC Squad Stats โ†’

Wow so 9 assists and 2 goals for McMillan and 5/5 for Milne with a minimum of 9 games still to play. Mightily impressive stats for thistle full backs. Thank you for you work as always, never ceases to amaze me! From what I could see the closest any defender got:ย 

13/14 Taylor-Sinclair 2G:8A

14/15 SOD 5G:6A

16/17 liam Lindsay 7G:1A

19/20 James Penrice 2G:4A

So ATS and SOD certainly managed those numbers at some point each even if we donโ€™t know the title winning squads assist stats. With the games left I would fancy both harry and jack to reach the 12 mark for both G/A combined. Making them likely to be our most successful attacking defenders in the last 10 years at least. I think having full backs that can put up numbers like this are pivotal to success in modern football.ย 

I kept stats at the time for that season (hence ATS just being Aaron Sinclair) and this is what I had for 12/13 including assists, 14 goals out of 91 weren't given an assist. The goal totals don't match TTA as I don't count the pre-season friendly ARR Craib Cup as a competitive game (I understand the reasons the Archive does but no, sorry), so SOD would have combined 10 and A(T)S 7

image.png.0f5a37ebc6ea66cb351c7e443260443d.png

Chris Erskine that season thoughย ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by Fuctifano

19 hours ago, Doolan9 said:

I think having full backs that can put up numbers like this are pivotal to success in modern football.ย 

Absolutely, let's hope they keep at it in the last quarter.

^ Cheers for the table Fuctifano, very interesting to see. Over 30 goal involvements, wow, it was a big statement season for Squiddy.

ย 

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I kept stats at the time for that season (hence ATS just being Aaron Sinclair) and this is what I had for 12/13 including assists, 14 goals out of 91 weren't given an assist. The goal totals don't match TTA as I don't count the pre-season friendly ARR Craib Cup as a competitive game (I understand the reasons the Archive does but no, sorry), so SOD would have combined 10 and A(T)S 7

image.png.0f5a37ebc6ea66cb351c7e443260443d.png

Chris Erskine that season thoughย ๐Ÿ˜

Wow what a team that was eh. Squiddy unplayable. 4 players on 14+ goals is also incredible. May never see that again in our life times ๐Ÿ˜‚.