The Partick Thistle thread

I think McCall’s comments about a week or so ago certainly suggested we didn’t have much to spend, so I can’t say I was expecting us to make many signings but nevertheless that’s a bit of a blow. As James Cairney says we’ll therefore exit the window in a worse position than we started it and that’s never good. Hopefully we can try and stay relatively injury free. 

Well that’s terrible news because if we could have sorted the defence out and went on a decent run then we would at least make the play offs. 

One thing I will say is he’s loaned out Stanway, sent Weston back to Rangers.. 2 players who IMO should be before that Imposter Cammy Smith. He’s told Akinola he can leave but why is he keeping Smith it’s baffling to me.

We’d need to pay Smith’s contract up, which presumably we don’t have any money for. There’s no chance someone is going to pay for him, or pay his wages on a loan deal, so we’re as well keeping him around.

Weston was recalled, not sent back. Stanway seems to be a deeper midfielder and needs the game time. 

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

We’d need to pay Smith’s contract up, which presumably we don’t have any money for. There’s no chance someone is going to pay for him, or pay his wages on a loan deal, so we’re as well keeping him around.

Weston was recalled, not sent back. Stanway seems to be a deeper midfielder and needs the game time. 

Stanway looked better in the sort of lawless Role when I seen him.. in regards to Weston, I’d have gave him more game time. If he is being called back then it’s because they obviously don’t think he has enough game time. Which brings me back to C.Smith who has had game time and done f**k awl ! 

No one should have to pay for him but we just told Akinola he is free to leave who we also won’t get money for .. it’s just a complete waste of a wage. 

1 hour ago, Thistle4eva said:

No one should have to pay for him but we just told Akinola he is free to leave who we also won’t get money for .. it’s just a complete waste of a wage. 

We won’t get money for Akinola but if his agent finds him another club we won’t need to pay him off, he’ll either go elsewhere or remain on our books til the summer when he’s released (preferably the 1st option). We’d probably need to pay Cammy Smith off to get rid of him now and as much as I think he contributes nothing that’s obviously not justifiable. 

I’d have kept Weston, but so would McCall (I’d imagine he was fairly cheap from our POV) Can’t blame him however for wanting more game time elsewhere, I don’t really see him as a striker at our level (certainly not a lone one) more effective using his pace out-wide and he is still a bit lightweight hence the reason why his appearances were perhaps limited. 

I’m more surprised McCall is not looking to get a squad filler on loan from the Rangers B team to boost our numbers a bit with 2/3 leaving. 

19 hours ago, Thistle4eva said:

Well that’s terrible news because if we could have sorted the defence out and went on a decent run then we would at least make the play offs. 

One thing I will say is he’s loaned out Stanway, sent Weston back to Rangers.. 2 players who IMO should be before that Imposter Cammy Smith. He’s told Akinola he can leave but why is he keeping Smith it’s baffling to me.

Smith was signing for us on pretty good money apparently before McCall came along and blew us out the water to try and get him. So I’d guess he’s on a wage that means no one is else is willing to take it over. It’s a shame because he’s a good player in the right team but I feel like he was signed by McCall without an idea of how to use him. 

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Smith was signing for us on pretty good money apparently before McCall came along and blew us out the water to try and get him. So I’d guess he’s on a wage that means no one is else is willing to take it over. It’s a shame because he’s a good player in the right team but I feel like he was signed by McCall without an idea of how to use him. 

Could say that about a few of our players tbh

3 minutes ago, chattyman said:

Could say that about a few of our players tbh

Can think of half a dozen players he signed at Ayr that were technically good footballers but he didn’t have a clue on what he was doing with them. Alan Trouten, Gary Harkins and Paul Cairney come to mind. Plus his obsession with playing Robbie Crawford wide. 

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That is McCall all over.

On the subject of Thistle departures I’d take Akinola if he’s going. I remember him being really good last season as a ball playing defender. With the way that Bullen has helped turnaround Sean McGinty into a steady Championship centre back I’d like to think Akinola could get back to his best. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

On the subject of Thistle departures I’d take Akinola if he’s going. I remember him being really good last season as a ball playing defender. With the way that Bullen has helped turnaround Sean McGinty into a steady Championship centre back I’d like to think Akinola could get back to his best. 

Would also suspect Akinola on a chunky wage as he's come up from England, think if he does leave in January it'll be to go to National League level down South. 

Have said before I'd loan out Smith even to another club in this league as he wouldn't be able to play against us but doesn't sound like that's happening. Last season he was played in his favoured position for most of the time, it was normally Turner or Crawford that were stuck out wide. Just hasn't happened here for him. 

Edited by Fuctifano

I’m sure he initially signed a one-year deal and signed an extension early last year when he was on form, presumably with an increase in wages. 

There’s definitely a player there, but he needs to play somewhere where he can get his confidence back, and that’s probably not for another team in the Scottish Championship.

27 minutes ago, Smurph said:

I’m sure he initially signed a one-year deal and signed an extension early last year when he was on form, presumably with an increase in wages. 

There’s definitely a player there, but he needs to play somewhere where he can get his confidence back, and that’s probably not for another team in the Scottish Championship.

Thought this was about Smith for a minute, maybe it is.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

That is the Ian McCall special, but tbf Smith over the last 18 months has had a good numbers of opportunities in his more natural positions and been ineffective at best. His previous record in this division will probably get him a move to another championship club in the summer however. 

10 hours ago, JagsCG said:

That is the Ian McCall special, but tbf Smith over the last 18 months has had a good numbers of opportunities in his more natural positions and been ineffective at best. His previous record in this division will probably get him a move to another championship club in the summer however. 

Would Take him back in a heart beat to play no 10 for us. Alas I doubt it'll happen now . 

Smith’s been rotten for us but I fully expect him to leave us in the summer, join another Championship team then go onto have a good season. The first half of us last season he was shunted out wide then in the second half of us last he played in the 10 role a lot more but still offered nothing as his confidence had gone.