The Partick Thistle thread

13 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Fair few rumours that we'll be getting Weston since Alegria's went back to Rangers. I don't see it myself since McGlynn plays with just one upfront and Weston's a bit diminutive for that role.

What was he like and did he also play out wide for you lot too?

He never really got a lot of game time for us - I don’t think he got more than 15 minutes in any league games for us.

He did play pretty much exclusively wide for us. As you say, he’s far too lightweight to play up front himself. I think he showed glimpses that there’s something there, but I don’t think he’s ready for championship football regularly. As said, he’s very lightweight so gets brushed off the ball quite easily and I don’t think he’s quite worked out how to get around that yet. I’d have kept him in the squad though because there’s definitely something there.

He wasn’t an active hindrance to the team, so a significant improvement on Juan Alegria for us. 

Superb news to see Doolan back at the club - I didn't realise he had already got his UEFA A license.

I was lucky enough to play a round of golf with him not long after the Caldwell-Low axis of incompetence had shabbily ejected him from the club, and he talked a lot about wanting to be back at Firhill as soon as he finished playing to coach and hopefully even manage.   It's almost like Low had to be gone before this could happen in any capacity...

6 hours ago, thistledo said:

Genuinely very pleasing news. 

On a personal level it is obvious pleasing to have Dools back and not have his last act at the club be the shambolic way he was treated by Caldwell and Low.

That being said, this is only a good appointment if he is actually any good at the job. Obviously want him to succeed, but I hope this appointment is more about his ideas for youth progression and not just another job for the boys.

15 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

On a personal level it is obvious pleasing to have Dools back and not have his last act at the club be the shambolic way he was treated by Caldwell and Low.

That being said, this is only a good appointment if he is actually any good at the job. Obviously want him to succeed, but I hope this appointment is more about his ideas for youth progression and not just another job for the boys.

Maybe a future link up with Graham and Doolan as new management team?

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

I think the 'jobs for the boys' argument in relation to this appointment would probably hold more weight if Dools hadn't had his own academy where he was working with a lot of young developing players for a few years now and obviously has all the required coaching badges etc. But you're probably right hopefully the appointment has been made for the right reasons as well as other ones. 

I actually thought Doolan would have got the top youth job that Paul Mcdonald has which would have been more of a jobs for the boys appointment. This is probably a better role given his own academy. 

Also a very good point that he might not have wanted to come back under the old board. 

55 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

I think the 'jobs for the boys' argument in relation to this appointment would probably hold more weight if Dools hadn't had his own academy where he was working with a lot of young developing players for a few years now and obviously has all the required coaching badges etc. But you're probably right hopefully the appointment has been made for the right reasons as well as other ones. 

DIdnt know that - hopefully best of both worlds then.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Was he not on loan somewhere beforehand?

He was at Dalbeattie Star. No idea how he was getting on, but they’re having an absolute horror show of a season. Gala are a good bit better, and just lost their main striker to Bonnyrigg so hopefully he gets chances to play. 

I don’t think he’ll make it here anyway.

1 minute ago, FSF Dundee said:

If you are heading to Dens tomorrow, please consider dropping off a donation to our foodbank collection 🤝  

#HungerDoesntWearClubColours 

fsf dundeeeeee.jpg

Great cause - yeah it’s it’s already been posted on club website and the Jags for Good website 👍

52 minutes ago, FSF Dundee said:

If you are heading to Dens tomorrow, please consider dropping off a donation to our foodbank collection 🤝  

#HungerDoesntWearClubColours 

fsf dundeeeeee.jpg

Will they accept a cash donation as it's tough time for a lot of people and it's great idea & much needed 👍 

5 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Oh yeah absolutely agree. 

I'm expecting this to be a good appointment, has his own training academy already and a UEFA A license. We might actually be getting him at a very reasonable price based on past history at the club. I also feel like he really cares and it's not just a job for him.