The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Apparently they’re paying someone to do their PR/communications now as well. And yet it’s still riddy after riddy whenever you see or hear anything from them. Money well spent, lads.

It may or may not have been mentioned to them at the face-to-face meeting that TJF pays zero pounds zero pence for its PR/communications strategy, and it's worked out just fine.

6 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

It may or may not have been mentioned to them at the face-to-face meeting that TJF pays zero pounds zero pence for its PR/communications strategy, and it's worked out just fine.

The communications might be fine but so far the strategy hasn’t yet got the desired end result. Not the time to be cocky.

9 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Apparently they’re paying someone to do their PR/communications now as well. And yet it’s still riddy after riddy whenever you see or hear anything from them. Money well spent, lads.

Sounds familiar. Surely not.

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

The communications might be fine but so far the strategy hasn’t yet got the desired end result. Not the time to be cocky.

No one around here who is against what has happened is "cocky" about the current state of play, but it's quite obvious that TJF are honest and transparent communicators, in sharp contrast to the mendacious board and their nodding-dog Jags Trust pals. 

The reason "the strategy hasn't yet got the desired result" is quite simply that the chairman and her acolytes decided not to transfer the club to true fan ownership as they had previously promised, but to construct a sham transfer and stay in power instead. The whole thing was done in very bad faith, and involved refusing to share the club's books. They were probably banking on general indifference among the wider support to get away with it (and timed the transfer for after they had banked the season ticket money, just to be on the safe side, having turned their noses up at the direct financial contribution of nearly 1000 TJF members). 

It's hard to see why - as you seem to think going by this and past posts - the fault somehow lies with TJF and not Low and her pals.  What could/should TJF have done differently, in your view?

ON THIS DAY: Monday the 18th November 1963, marks the date when Partick Thistle played hosts to a continental club for the first time. And what an occasion! How we ended up winning by only one goal beggars belief, especially having went 3 up. It could easily have been five or six – oh how different it might have been! Chance after chance was squandered and the Czechs scored from their only two attacking excursions of the second half. We had now been sentenced to ninety minutes of hard-labour in Brno. “It was little wonder that Partick’s supporters left the ground boiling with exasperation.” Spartak’s season had just finished and, according to the Evening Times report, Thistle were the first side to knock three past them during their campaign. To mark the occasion, the full match hub is now in place, complete with 'Scrapbook' and 'Gallery' tabs...

Partick Thistle 3 Spartak ZJŠ Brno 2 (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 2nd Round, 1st leg) →

Photo at 12 mins; it's going to be a goal as Ernie Yard rises magnificently to fully respect (the silhouetted) Davie McParland's excellent cross.

1963-11-18-ga1.jpg

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

No one around here who is against what has happened is "cocky" about the current state of play, but it's quite obvious that TJF are honest and transparent communicators, in sharp contrast to the mendacious board and their nodding-dog Jags Trust pals. 

The reason "the strategy hasn't yet got the desired result" is quite simply that the chairman and her acolytes decided not to transfer the club to true fan ownership as they had previously promised, but to construct a sham transfer and stay in power instead. The whole thing was done in very bad faith, and involved refusing to share the club's books. They were probably banking on general indifference among the wider support to get away with it (and timed the transfer for after they had banked the season ticket money, just to be on the safe side, having turned their noses up at the direct financial contribution of nearly 1000 TJF members). 

It's hard to see why - as you seem to think going by this and past posts - the fault somehow lies with TJF and not Low and her pals.  What could/should TJF have done differently, in your view?

You are right, past posts have been critical of TJF, primarily because it seemed to me action was too slow or too late. I am now seeing that the current regime is intent in seeing the destruction of PTFC. I think that opportunities were missed to make more visible demonstrations eg ICT televised game at Firhill. However, TJF have a different strategy, which I hope is successful. I am now at the stage of swithering whether to join TJF, but this type of post, which seems to me inappropriate at the moment, puts me off again.

1 minute ago, archie guevara said:

Is James Cairney only allowed a limited number of articles in the Glasgow Times? He's been quiet for a while. Maybe waiting to see what happens at the game tomorrow. 

He was near me at the Dundee game in the John Lambie stand  so possible he's been on annual leave. Appreciate this sounds a bit stalker-ish.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

You are right, past posts have been critical of TJF, primarily because it seemed to me action was too slow or too late. I am now seeing that the current regime is intent in seeing the destruction of PTFC. I think that opportunities were missed to make more visible demonstrations eg ICT televised game at Firhill. However, TJF have a different strategy, which I hope is successful. I am now at the stage of swithering whether to join TJF, but this type of post, which seems to me inappropriate at the moment, puts me off again.

I "swithered" for months, but finally joined TJF yesterday. Numbers required here. Your club needs you.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Nobody asked.

Victor did. And are you saying TJF don’t want new members ? Some fans still need persuading to join TJF, so even although their communications and professionalism have been exemplary in the past, doesn’t mean that can be complacent.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

With all this talk of TJF, I had a look at the website. Very impressive, good job folks. And that stadium on the home page looks fantastic, must be worth at least £15m. Seriously though, hope things improve soon on all fronts. Saturday would be a good day to get the bandwagon rolling again. 

2 hours ago, archie guevara said:

Is James Cairney only allowed a limited number of articles in the Glasgow Times? He's been quiet for a while. Maybe waiting to see what happens at the game tomorrow. 

Had a good chat with him in the pie queue at the Dundee game. Nothing sinister just been on a holiday.

3 hours ago, archie guevara said:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/23135005.ian-mccall-insists-partick-thistle-can-still-win-championship/

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Victor did. And are you saying TJF don’t want new members ? Some fans still need persuading to join TJF, so even although their communications and professionalism have been exemplary in the past, doesn’t mean that can be complacent.

What could/should TJF have done differently, in your view?

No he didn't.

3 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I would say complacency is not joining TJF when the future of the club is at stake. I can't understand why anyone who is remotely engaged would not be signed up at this point. 

17 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Without wishing to drag out this discussion - I didn't ask you whether you had joined TJF or planned to (and I'm quite surprised that a post from a random stranger on P&B would sway you either way on doing so).  I asked you what you thought they had done wrong and your answer was that they should have organised a protest at a televised match. (I remember in the past you also complained that they didn't put out a message mourning QE2). 

IMO, they are not there to virtue signal or to organise protests which the board would immediately use to claim they are undermining the club.  They should focus on continuing to demonstrate that they are competent, transparent, have an in-depth understanding of the club and how real fan ownership would work, and be ready to take up the shareholding if/when the board realises that what they have done is untenable.  Which is exactly what TJF are doing.

Edited by VictorOnopko

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Without wishing to drag out this discussion - I didn't ask you whether you had joined TJF or planned to (and I'm quite surprised that a post from a random stranger on P&B would sway you either way on doing so).  I asked you what you thought they had done wrong and your answer was that they should have organised a protest at a televised match. (I remember in the past you also complained that they didn't put out a message mourning QE2). 

IMO, they are not there to virtue signal or to organise protests which the board would immediately use to claim they are undermining the club.  They should focus on continuing to demonstrate that they are competent, transparent, have an in-depth understanding of the club and how real fan ownership would work, and be ready to take up the shareholding if/when the board realises that what they have done is untenable.  Which is exactly what TJF are doing.

Discussions often take twists and turns as you have just demonstrated by referencing QE2 which doesn’t seem relevant now. Ad Lib isn’t a random stranger. He is a TJF board member and their statements will sway people to become members or not. I don’t believe I said organise a protest. But I accept that TJF have a different strategy, which, if your last section is correct seems to be just wait until the current regime have had enough. I will need to have another read through the TJF literature, but I think they need to have some other action plan(not demonstrations),to pressurise the current board and trustees to change course before I join up.

On 18/11/2022 at 12:13, jagsfan57 said:

So you wanted a demonstration and were disappointed that it didn't happen?

4 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Discussions often take twists and turns as you have just demonstrated by referencing QE2 which doesn’t seem relevant now. Ad Lib isn’t a random stranger. He is a TJF board member and their statements will sway people to become members or not. I don’t believe I said organise a protest. But I accept that TJF have a different strategy, which, if your last section is correct seems to be just wait until the current regime have had enough. I will need to have another read through the TJF literature, but I think they need to have some other action plan(not demonstrations),to pressurise the current board and trustees to change course before I join up.

So you now don't want a demonstration, although you did before? 

Whatever.  Join or don't join.  You could always tell us all what should be in this "action plan".  I am just a paying member of TJF, not directly involved in any way - but I know they are open to feedback and I imagine (unlike the Trust) they will respond to messages and suggestions if you want to engage with them rather than making very vague criticisms here. 

You were also replying to my post, so understandably I thought your comment that "this type of post" puts you off joining TJF was about what I said, not Ad Lib.

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

So you wanted a demonstration and were disappointed that it didn't happen?

So you now don't want a demonstration, although you did before? 

Whatever.  Join or don't join.  You could always tell us all what should be in this "action plan".  I am just a paying member of TJF, not directly involved in any way - but I know they are open to feedback and I imagine (unlike the Trust) they will respond to messages and suggestions if you want to engage with them rather than making very vague criticisms here. 

You were also replying to my post, so understandably I thought your comment that "this type of post" puts you off joining TJF was about what I said, not Ad Lib.

Whether I join is up to TJF to persuade me. I am not criticising them. I am just not sure that giving them £10.00 a month or whatever is worth it. And you obviously have no argument to persuade me. 
Disappointed ? - I didn’t say I was disappointed. I said I thought they missed an opportunity.