The Partick Thistle thread

6 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Decisions on policing capacity are clearly a Government issue - there was no instruction to the Football Authorities that all games should be postponed on this or any other basis. With regard to games next weekend, I would hope that the Club and any of the Supporters Association are putting forward a strong case that these should go ahead rather than a silent passive and tacit acceptance of decisions by those in power. 

It's not quite as straightforward as that. Operational decisions about policing are made routinely between the footballing authorities and the police directly, rather than with political involvement, just as they are with any major organised public events. It seems as though, despite the long-standing preparations for this national event, they were caught a bit on the hop by the timing. It strikes me as a bit daft that games with lower attendance (like the PTWFC game TJF were sponsoring that was supposed to take place today) were postponed too, but at short notice it may have been thought easier just to postpone the lot for this weekend.

Speaking purely personally, I hope the game against Cove on Saturday can go ahead. I'm sure the Club also hopes this too, given how long a gap it would otherwise leave between home fixtures. But I'm sceptical that either the SPFL or Police Scotland, the key decision-makers in that respect, will pay any heed to supporters' associations calling for the games to go ahead. The matches will either happen because (a) the police have got their shit together and (b) football doesn't want to look silly for not going ahead while other major events do or they won't happen because either or both (a) and (b) don't materialise.

ETA: something that's Scottish specific here is that the additional policing requirements in Edinburgh this week would not have been needed had the Queen passed at Windsor or one of her English residencies. As I understand it, for example, there will be a significantly elevated armed police presence in Edinburgh over the next few days, which will disrupt several businesses in the vicinity of the City Centre.

Edited by Ad Lib
to add

On 10/09/2022 at 14:53, IR1970 said:

Ive said for a few weeks that Brownlie would be best out on loan if we could get another centre half in. He needs games.

It would be a good idea to get Brownlie out on loan - if we can get cover.

However, the first thing he needs to do is lose weight. He has had plenty time to do this since he started training again.

2 hours ago, Jag71 said:

It would be a good idea to get Brownlie out on loan - if we can get cover.

However, the first thing he needs to do is lose weight. He has had plenty time to do this since he started training again.

Archie touched on this at beginning of the season. After his injury they cant run him at training and will only get fit and match sharpness playing games.

Had fate taken Partick Thistle down a different path in 1892 we may well have ended up with a Roman goddess on our badge rather than the flower of Scotland which has endured for more than one hundred years.

As our new Partickle explains, the committee had an intriguing proposal to consider…

Minerva – What's In A Name? →

minerva-9.jpg

Had fate taken Partick Thistle down a different path in 1892 we may well have ended up with a Roman goddess on our badge rather than the flower of Scotland which has endured for more than one hundred years.
As our new Partickle explains, the committee had an intriguing proposal to consider…
Minerva – What's In A Name? →

minerva-9.jpg.44544c41139c625552f51f52b9d53b8b.jpg
I love stuff like this. Keep up the good work!

Last month we were so intrigued by the images sent to us by Andrew Johnston's great grandson, Douglas Fyfe, that, today, we've started a virtual museum to show them off! To be fair, many such opportunities have passed us by previously, but now at least there is somewhere for such things to be housed.

Site map wise, we can't seem to find a place for the museum, so we've set up the permanent access point on the foot of the home page, as you will see as you scroll down.

The museum will be a place for Partick Thistle items of exceptional historical interest... or those which are just plain curious! A virtual collection of art, memorabilia, artifacts & curiosities. Any submissions for display consideration are welcome, so get in touch →. We hope you enjoy your visits to our virtual museum; who knows what will end up in there?!?

Archive Museum →

museum.png