The Partick Thistle thread

5 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Thoughts on Stephen Hendrie?

One of the few players we released I wouldn’t have been against keeping to be a backup this season. Should be a very decent acquisition for League 1 - is that 3 of our players from last season Queens have now signed? 

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Pretty sure he’s been signed as all-round defensive cover for us as well. McMillan and Milne have the FB positions locked up, and we have 4 CBs on the books already. Hodson will probably slot immediately into the team in the short term because of the CBs in the squad Muirhead and Akinola are both out and Brownlie looks a long way from match fitness, so we’re really short at CB right now. Whether that ends up being Hodson’s role or if he plays RB with McMillan moving inside I suppose we’ll find out tomorrow.

Unless some of these injuries end up being long term, though, Hodson won’t be expected to start every week. McMillan has started well and I don’t see this being another Naismith situation.

It’s a weird a thing match fitness. How do you get it without playing ?

7 hours ago, JagsCG said:

One of the few players we released I wouldn’t have been against keeping to be a backup this season. Should be a very decent acquisition for League 1 - is that 3 of our players from last season Queens have now signed? 

Yeah Murray, McKenna and now Hendrie. McKenna has been gash at right back, like people on here said he would be. Murray has actually been really good but still has a tendency to drift out of games, and Hendrie isn’t fit enough right now apparently as he’s not had a pre season.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Magyar said:

I expected 6 points out of 9 for our first three games, a loss at Dundee and wins V Accies and QP.

4 out of 9? Not a good start.

I fancied us to beat Accies but I always felt we’d be in for a tough match today. Plenty of football to be played obviously but 4 out of 9 is not the start we’d have been looking for. 

having a wee look at the os match reports, competitive set piece goals conceded so far:

1x killie away, group stages

1x montrose at home, group stages

2x dundee away, league

2x qp away, league

Idk how that compares to other sides in the league but thats not great, surely?

edit: the 4 in 3 league games stands out as pretty poor.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

8 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

having a wee look at the os match reports, competitive set piece goals conceded so far:

2x dundee away, league

2x qp away, league

We really don’t need it becoming a ‘thing’ again. The curtailed season where we got relegated, it felt like we were going to concede everytime the opposition got a corner. Of course we have a far better team now but no side can afford to give away cheap goals from set pieces. 

4 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

2x dundee away, league

2x qp away, league

It's definitely a concern, didn't see the game live today but just saw the goals on jagzone, don't think you could blame Mitchell for the set piece goals in terms of him being able to stop them, first goal was a free kick "one from the training ground" routine where Fitzpatrick switched off and didn't track his man, and the third goal was an outswinging corner where Milne was beaten to the first ball about ten yards out and also beaten to the the rebound when it hit Tunji / Simon Murray. 

However there is an argument that the keeper should be organising the defence at set pieces and to lose around a goal a game on average from them so far this season (higher if you count the games Mitchell played, which contain all of the set piece concessions) isn't great. I said McCall wouldn't chop and change keepers after last season's experience but I think he might for Friday. 

15 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

It's definitely a concern, didn't see the game live today but just saw the goals on jagzone, don't think you could blame Mitchell for the set piece goals in terms of him being able to stop them, first goal was a free kick "one from the training ground" routine where Fitzpatrick switched off and didn't track his man, and the third goal was an outswinging corner where Milne was beaten to the first ball about ten yards out and also beaten to the the rebound when it hit Tunji / Simon Murray. 

However there is an argument that the keeper should be organising the defence at set pieces and to lose around a goal a game on average from them so far this season (higher if you count the games Mitchell played, which contain all of the set piece concessions) isn't great. I said McCall wouldn't chop and change keepers after last season's experience but I think he might for Friday. 

He absolutely should. He should have before yesterday, imo. I very much doubt he will as he is a very stubborn and belligerent manager at times. Archie was the same when he was manager. Keep doing the same thing over and over in the premise that at some point it will work🥶

The 4-3-3 he’s playing doesn’t work. Why play Fitz on the left and Lawless n the right it’s not working the way he wants it to. This only works when you control the game, all we are getting is 2 full backs constantly out of position when we relentlessly lose the ball. And we don’t have someone to sit front of our centre half’s and protect them. 

Stuck up for McCall so many times but Jesus Christ.. if you want to play that way you need a guy that that can slip into defence and cover when your full/wing backs are up the park. 

Akinola is completely fucked also he’s clearly a confidence player, the way the passes through our defence for the second was embarrassing.

2 hours ago, Barney Exactly said:

On a completely different note chaps….anyone any idea why you cannot sign up for the “we are thistle” site/ forum?

Always shows some kind of error when you attempt to join

See it as a sign from the broadband gods trying to stop you having to endure some of the weirdos on that forum.