The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Graham, Mullen, Dowds and Weston should at least give us options. Last year until Rudden left it seemed like we started with Graham and Rudden up front and if it didn't work we were left with f**k all else.

FTFY

Another full back, who probably won't be a starter, and that should be us for the window, barring the inevitable injuries. I don't know how this compares to last year but feels miles away from the last couple of years of Archibald's tenure where we were going into the first league game of the season with half a team still to sign.

He's really not very good. Hard worker but was like a man down in the top flight as he offered very little other than being a nuisance. Has quite the high opinion of himself, declared to the media he was the best striker at the club after he scored a couple of goals ahead of Jakubiak, Sheridan, Griffiths and Cummings. Cummings was punted from about October and I think Mullen scored 1 goal more all season. He then also rejected our offer of a new deal (which I was absolutely stunned he was offered in the first place) as he wanted to stay in the top flight with Dundee United and Motherwell heavily linked.

In saying all that, if you need a donkey work striker then he's your man. I'd actually say he's probably the perfect foil for Brian Graham. Mullen can hold the ball up well and do the running for Graham allowing Graham to just be a target man/poacher.

Despite a very negative review from myself, he was far from being the worst striker we've ever had but the amount of glaring sitters he misses will drive you up the wall.

34 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's really not very good. Hard worker but was like a man down in the top flight as he offered very little other than being a nuisance. Has quite the high opinion of himself, declared to the media he was the best striker at the club after he scored a couple of goals ahead of Jakubiak, Sheridan, Griffiths and Cummings. Cummings was punted from about October and I think Mullen scored 1 goal more all season. He then also rejected our offer of a new deal (which I was absolutely stunned he was offered in the first place) as he wanted to stay in the top flight with Dundee United and Motherwell heavily linked.

In saying all that, if you need a donkey work striker then he's your man. I'd actually say he's probably the perfect foil for Brian Graham. Mullen can hold the ball up well and do the running for Graham allowing Graham to just be a target man/poacher.

Despite a very negative review from myself, he was far from being the worst striker we've ever had but the amount of glaring sitters he misses will drive you up the wall.

Sounds similar to Jakubiak.

I’m not massively convinced by Mullen as a player, but happy to give him a chance. He’s clearly a different type of player to either Graham or Dowds so that’s positive. 

I will say it’s good to have (at least) three actual options up front this season, rather than filling out our squad with a complete haddy like MacIver again. 

3 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

But better. 

Can only speak for myself because Jakubiak is proving to be a right marmite figure for Dundee fans, but I'd have Jakubiak ahead of Mullen.

I liked Mullen enough in his time at Dens, and I think with Graham it could work well. Not a great goalscorer by any means, but a right scrapper who is just a pain in the arse for defences to deal with, and is an expert at winning a soft foul.

Considering the way he left us though, it seemed clear he would have to eat some amount of humble pie as he wasn't as good as he seemed to think he was, and I presume he's taken a wage cut for this season because of that. The opening game of the season will certainly be interesting considering we seem to just be swapping players at this point, that's for sure.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee