The Partick Thistle thread

Yes it was that Des McKeown. I think there had been a bit of bad blood between Lambie and Tommy Gemmell in the build up so there was no "foot off the gas" when it got to 5 or 6, possibly combined with the first half performance resulting in the players getting a bollocking, and with only 2 subs back then you couldn't flood the bench with weans to bring on.

I don't remember too much more as it was nearly 30 years ago but it was a rare midweek game I was allowed to go to at that age as school didn't go back til the following week. It was at Fir Park with everyone in the main stand- the 9 second half goals were scored in front of an empty away end- presumably as Cliftonhill wasn't fit to hold 1500 at that point.

I do also remember getting home to hear the score being read out on the news, and then the next night hoping Arbroath would hang on to 1-9 vs Celtic so we were the only team to score double figures.

I'll take an 11-1 humping of a team over a 1-1 draw away to Culter any day.

yes, the Celtic game the next night.. felt like they were trying to one up us

didn't know about the Tommy Gemmel thing... i can see in the link a reference to the Cowdenbeath cup game hanging overhead... was at that shambles too

Edited by Mip1999

Ian Cameron's four goal is the only one I have witnessed in the flesh. I wasn't one of the faithful few when Billy Dodds scored against East Fife on his loan from Chelsea around 87/88. Also, I did not make Doolan's haul against the Accies for a reason I cannot remember. 

I bought a bok during lock down about big defeats in Scottish football and there is a bit about the game. 

I don't think Gemmell lasted long after the game. I actually met him years later on the day of Zenit vs Rangers and he wasn't impressed when I said I was a Thistle fan haha Even less so when I said penalties were a lottery.

37 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Ian Cameron's four goal is the only one I have witnessed in the flesh. I wasn't one of the faithful few when Billy Dodds scored against East Fife on his loan from Chelsea around 87/88. Also, I did not make Doolan's haul against the Accies for a reason I cannot remember. 

I bought a bok during lock down about big defeats in Scottish football and there is a bit about the game. 

I don't think Gemmell lasted long after the game. I actually met him years later on the day of Zenit vs Rangers and he wasn't impressed when I said I was a Thistle fan haha Even less so when I said penalties were a lottery.

George Shaw it 4 against Dundee i'm sure in a 6 - 3 win. Might've been 6 - 2.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I forgot about that haha He win a holiday and the club got a fair bit of cash from the sponsor. I did see that one haha

my parents had been threatening to break up for months... went to this game with my Dad... after the win Mum picked us up

They made up that night.

I'm convinced George Shaw saved my parents marriage 😀 

On 01/07/2022 at 10:34, VictorOnopko said:

This is weird and wonderful stuff.  What makes it all the more pleasing is that Thistle fans don't really give a f*ck about Morton.  They have some truly dreadful posters on here, we cruised to the league win against them in 2013, then they got humiliatingly relegated the very next year (10-2), they haven't played top-tier football in decades, their actual rivals St Mirren are a million miles ahead of them, and that's about all I can think of. 

Are Morton our rivals (I s'pose you can have more than one) but currently I'd say our main rivals are St. Johnstone & the spurious question of who are the real Saints - it's us.

Since going to Glasgow Tech in the early 80s I've always considered Thistle as rivals more than Morton but I'd also say that in the internet age geographic proximity is no longer the most important issue as back in the noughties I'd have said Falkirk were the team that used to irk Saints fans most - I for one take great glee in their current woes!

Currently I am developing an unhealthy interest in ICT as the guy who now has the locker next to me at work supports them, which leads me to the big questiom - who are the best Jags in the land? 

PS - Geordie Shaw & Doug Somner, I share the love! 💘

Edited by btb

3 hours ago, btb said:

Are Morton our rivals (I s'pose you can have more than one) but currently I'd say our main rivals are St. Johnstone & the spurious question of who are the real Saints - it's us.

Since going to Glasgow Tech in the early 80s I've always considered Thistle as rivals more than Morton but I'd also say that in the internet age geographic proximity is no longer the most important issue as back in the noughties I'd have said Falkirk were the team that used to irk Saints fans most - I for one take great glee in their current woes!

Currently I am developing an unhealthy interest in ICT as the guy who now has the locker next to me at work supports them, which leads me to the big questiom - who are the best Jags in the land? 

PS - Geordie Shaw & Doug Somner, I share the love! 💘

Not onlly is there one team in Glasgow. There's only one Jags in Scotland.😉

McCall short video update:

- few niggling injuries so not everyone has played all of pre season

- reason for Motherwell game is to get a few trialists to play

- 1 signing certain (this was later revised to almost certain) for now who should be with us by middle of next week

- still 5 players short, defender, 1 or 2 wide players , midfielder (almost certain as above), and striker, but 2 or 3 of these should be done reasonably soon

- McCready away to Cowdenbeath on loan, if he continues to progress he'll be offered a new deal in January

- few other young players might go out on loan, but they will train with us. Stevenson and McKenzie won't be going out on loan this year, they'll have another year with under 18s, but McKenzie might be part of first team squad soon

- just under 1500 STs sold, on target for 2000.

Guessing McKinnon is the  "certain / almost certain" I'm not sure why he's not joining us til next week unless we're trying to hold off paying his wages for as long as possible.

Edited by Fuctifano

I think McKinnon went to Portugal with Rangers for pre-season. Probably just waiting on them coming back to sign him as imagine trying to get him back on a Ryanair flight before then might result in him being lost in baggage claim for 3 weeks.

Edited by Pie Of The Month