The Partick Thistle thread

On 05/06/2022 at 21:38, Fuctifano said:

Spent ages thinking "we had him 6 years ago in the league cup when Cerny was injured and he was old then" but that was David Crawford. 

Other than the terrible Peep Show memes that would ensue, Mitchell would be a decent enough backup signing. 

Didn't think it would be the club with the terrible memes (though it's Mitchell and Webb look rather than Peep Show)

1 hour ago, IR1970 said:

Mitchell been on the cards for week...tried to get him last season..same agent as Milne and BrownlIe.

Yeah, he's a Thistle fan too. Hopefully Mitchell works out. I don't think he was too bad in his brief spell helping out during the League Cup round robin phase a few years back. 

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

Yeah, he's a Thistle fan too. Hopefully Mitchell works out. I don't think he was too bad in his brief spell helping out during the League Cup round robin phase a few years back. 

Yeah good lad 👍

11 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Cheers. You guys are looking to bring in Euan Murray apparently.

Don’t remember much about Murray at Killie, but I’m sure he was pretty solid at Dunfermline. Does mean we’d have quite a few defenders wanting to play every week when the likelihood is we’ll only be playing with 2 (Brownlie, Akinola, Holt, Murray - and that’s before you think of Muirhead). 

9 hours ago, Acon said:

Off the top of my head, Morton are the only championship club without a confirmed no. 1, so think Mitchell could well rock up at Firhill. 

I think Schwake will be our number 1. Martindale wouldn't have sent him to us to sit on the bench all season. I would imagine Dougie will have told DM he will play.

Looking forward to seeing him, glowing reputation from his time in league 2 so keen to see if he can make the step up.

I'd hope we won't waste another decent wage on another keeper. A young kid on not a big wage to warm the bench is all we need knowing we can bring in a more experienced keeper on emergency loan if Schwake gets injured.

Should be a decent CB at League 1 level. McCall insisted on playing him out of position at RB which he’s not very good at. We also had no one playing at RM which left him hang out to dry.

Aye, it depends where you’re planning on playing him. Given that Queens squad appears to have quite a few centre halves, but no right backs other than Gibson, I’d be worried.

He gets up and down the park pretty well, it’s just that his work at either end of the park is often pish. 

Oh what a terrible shame that is.
I actually think he’ll be a decent player for (probably) Ayr, but I won’t miss seeing him play right midfield for us. 

Jobby is an idiot for playing him (and Cammy Smith and also Kyle Turner) way out of position. No idea what his thinking behind it is.

I reckon he’ll end up back with us and with Bullen he might end up doing better than he did in his first spell with us.

36 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Jobby is an idiot for playing him (and Cammy Smith and also Kyle Turner) way out of position. No idea what his thinking behind it is.

I reckon he’ll end up back with us and with Bullen he might end up doing better than he did in his first spell with us.

The Jobster loves hoarding decent players and wasting them by playing them out of position.

He can’t help himself. 

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

The Jobster loves hoarding decent players and wasting them by playing them out of position.

He can’t help himself. 

I think he is very much of the thinking "good players can play anywhere" and given his affinity towards a Docherty-Bannigan partnership and having 2 up front, it has meant any other midfielder he wants to play (Turner/Crawford/Smith) just get shoehorned in wherever there is space on the board when he is writing his team out.

A bizarre attitude at amateur boys club level. Truly baffling in full time senior football.

Edited by Jacky1990

My main worry about the squad and what McCall's said about positions we're still looking for is that we'll be stuck with Bannigan and Docherty as the midfield 2, and if one of them is injured he'll shove Muirhead in there as a shit kicker, we're crying out for a proper defensive midfielder but given we've just let Sena go, I can't see one signing. He did say 2 more midfielders but they'll probably be more attacking

On a more positive note, the fact he's said he's looking to play 4-3-3 and the signing of Lawless and possibly Fitzpatrick should at least reduce the amount of centre mids stuck out wide and allow Turner or Smith to play as a #10

Edited by Fuctifano

My main worry about the squad and what McCall's said about positions we're still looking for is that we'll be stuck with Bannigan and Docherty as the midfield 2, and if one of them is injured he'll shove Muirhead in there as a shit kicker, we're crying out for a proper defensive midfielder but given we've just let Sena go, I can't see one signing. He did say 2 more midfielders but they'll probably be more attacking
On a more positive note, the fact he's said he's looking to play 4-3-3 and the signing of Lawless and possibly Fitzpatrick should at least reduce the amount of centre mids stuck out wide and allow Turner or Smith to play as a #10
Good luck with that we played Muirhead in CM for weeks because we had no other midfielder the novelty of it wore if after about one week, the game passes his by in midfield and he could not pass water, competent at center half and right back yes but you don't want him anywhere near your midfield.