The Partick Thistle thread

Said before that I'd have loved to have signed Lawless in January, he was pretty much exactly what we needed. After seemingly starting well at Dunfermline (including being terrific vs us) he appeared to have ended his time quite poorly albeit as part of a poor side. Bit mixed about his signing now, most of the positivity will come for nostalgic reasons rather than anything he's did recently. I think he can be a decent squad player and is obviously better than chucking a midfielder out wide (but then that shouldn't be the benchmark to beat), I'd still like to see another winger with a bit of pace come in and that's in the unlikely event we keep Tiffoney (Fitzpatrick perhaps?). If however Lawless can find the form he had with us previously or his Livingston form from a while back then he'll be an asset to the team I'm sure. 

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
7 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:
The talk was that Lawless was a disruptive influence under Archie and that's why his contract wasn't renewed.

He also let the team, management and fans down by getting banned for betting on football. Perhaps he's a little bit older and a little bit wiser now though.

The ban on players betting while football whores itself left, right and centre to betting companies for sponsorship is incredibly stupid to begin with.

I know rules are rules, but I dont have any issue with a player having a flutter as long as its not their own team's game.

Lawless's problem was that he was stupid enough to get caught.

On 13/06/2022 at 15:05, Fuctifano said:

Think the list of players who've had two spells with us- not counting loans immediately made permanent like Tiffoney or Keown- and been at least as good in the second spell would be pretty short (maybe @The Thistle Archive can draw up a list from last 30 years or so).

Great believer in being all-in or nothing at all. Stop-start points for spells was considered but abandoned as it was too difficult to research in the past. Sorry!

:help: The good news is that the annual update for our On This Day feature has been completed, with reports on all the 2021-22 matches, the day rankings re-tabulated, and all the newly found births and deaths duly loaded. The bad news is that it's stubbornly refusing to embed into our home page (via a cross-site i-frame kind-of-thing).

As can be seen on the home page today →, it can still be viewed by opening a new window, albeit that's not ideal. If anyone with I.T. or programming know-how could offer some assistance please we'd be very pleased to receive it, please get in touch →

otd.png

Former programme editors Niall Kennedy and Tom Hosie wrote mini pen pics for our players from 1982 to the end of the 90s which featured in a millennium special A-Z back in the day. They've allowed us to reproduce them on the Archive for everyone to enjoy again, which was very decent of them. These give some much-needed flavour to our rather robotic introduction bios. 267 player profiles have been duly improved today, full list on the home page →

p.s. If anyone wants to write a pen pic for any of their favourite players not already covered then get in touch →

Squad numbers updated on the pinned post for the new signings. Holt moves to 4 with Milne taking 3, and Lawless gets his former 11 back with Smith moving to 14. So our 1-11 would be

---------Sneddon

McMillan- Brownlie -Holt -Milne

Lawless-Turner-Bannigan-Tiffoney

-----Graham--Dowds

not that we'll most likely pay that team, but it is at least a feasible one.

29 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Squad numbers updated on the pinned post for the new signings. Holt moves to 4 with Milne taking 3, and Lawless gets his former 11 back with Smith moving to 14. So our 1-11 would be

---------Sneddon

-----Graham--Dowds

Looks good enough to me. No Docherty.😉

On 07/06/2022 at 13:47, ATLIS said:

He was very close to signing for them on loan in January, Dunfermline refused to pay his wages. He had agreed to go, as has he agreed a precontract 

Still a soft centre in midfield. Would prefer Docherty to Bannigan and prefer someone with more physical presence to either D or B.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

---------Sneddon

-----Graham--Dowds

I actually quite like that team but would be unlikely to start unless maybe in a cup game vs lower league opposition. 

Edited by jagfox

2 hours ago, Exiledjag said:

Still a soft centre in midfield. Would prefer Docherty to Bannigan and prefer someone with more physical presence to either D or B.

To be fair if you do sign Sibbald he’s built a bit of dig into his game. Loves getting stuck in 

52 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Have you heard us being linked with him mate?

No, I think the original conversation came from a PT fan linking it. Although if his PCA with Dunfermline has been cancelled then I imagine he's looking at this level for a deal

8 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

No, I think the original conversation came from a PT fan linking it. Although if his PCA with Dunfermline has been cancelled then I imagine he's looking at this level for a deal

I said a few weeks ago he is a player who I think would be a great fit for us.

It certainly wasnt an ITK suggestion 😂

16 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I said a few weeks ago he is a player who I think would be a great fit for us.

It certainly wasnt an ITK suggestion 😂

Quite possibly could've been that to be fair :D 

15 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Aye been binned, don't see him coming to Dunfermline.