The Partick Thistle thread

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

I get the feeling that McCall loves signing a ‘good guy to have in the changing room,’ and that he views Muirhead as such.

The talk was that Lawless was a disruptive influence under Archie and that's why his contract wasn't renewed.

12 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Genuine question - why are you delighted to have him back?

I think he should be okay, but his recent spells at Motherwell and Dunfermline have been alarming. 

I was very surprised that, after those poor spells, McCall's given him a 2-year deal.

He should be building a squad to compete for promotion and survive in the Premiership.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I was very surprised that, after those poor spells, McCall's given him a 2-year deal.

He should be building a squad to compete for promotion and survive in the Premiership.

Certainly not a signing for a title push.

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

The talk was that Lawless was a disruptive influence under Archie and that's why his contract wasn't renewed.

No idea about any of that, but I was purely talking about Muirhead.

Given that Archibald is (one of) McCall’s assistants, I’m sure that McCall will be aware of any behavioural issues that may have occurred under Archibald.

In other news, I very much enjoyed the Daily Record calling him a “former Motherwell star” in their story on him signing for us, given their fanbase basically universally despise him. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

No idea about any of that, but I was purely talking about Muirhead.

Given that Archibald is (one of) McCall’s assistants, I’m sure that McCall will be aware of any behavioural issues that may have occurred under Archibald.

In other news, I very much enjoyed the Daily Record calling him a “former Motherwell star” in their story on him signing for us, given their fanbase basically universally despise him. 

You never know, he may the bargain of the season. At the moment it is totally underwhelming. 

30 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Surely Dools is next?

Or Erskine again? ;) 

I'm very pleased with the arrivals of Milne and McMillan. They have good experience and the potential to improve. Let's hope for more signings like them.

ETA - the SPFL's website confirms the signings of Dowds, Muirhead, McMillan and Lawless but not Milne! See https://spfl.co.uk/news/summer-signings-48489

Edited by Bishop Briggs

57 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

I think Lawless will be ok with better players around him but the response on Twitter seems to be overwhelmingly positive, probably put that down to his first spell

His first performances were really encouraging, showed good technique and the ability to find a pass which our other attacking players couldn't but as the weeks went on his performances got worse and worse and eventually it seemed like he had completely chucked it. He'll probably do ok but not the messiah some on Twitter seems to think he is, he also had the armband for a good few of our games and he defo not captain material.

The same group of our fans on twitter adore Reece Cole so that should tell you everything you need to know about our fans on twitter.

Regarding anyone saying Lawless was a disruptive influence under Archie that may add to the appeal to McCall who is convinced he's the man to turn around any absolute waster.

He also let the team, management and fans down by getting banned for betting on football. Perhaps he's a little bit older and a little bit wiser now though.

Genuine question - why are you delighted to have him back?
I think he should be okay, but his recent spells at Motherwell and Dunfermline have been alarming. 

I believe there’s still a good player in there, the one who played well for livi a few years ago in the prem and has since made a few moves that haven’t worked out for him for whatever reason. Some players just fit certain clubs and and certain teams. I for one genuinely feel he will be a success with us again this season. I hope so anyway but only time will tell I guess. Worst case I think he’s a good squad player to have if we can get another younger/quicker wide player.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Lawless looked good in the games and highlights I saw of him last year. Only 31, good signing I think

Is he only 31?! f**k me :D I though he'd have been 33/34 at least by now. He left us at the right time I think