The Partick Thistle thread

4 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Does compensation have to be negotiated. I would have thought there would be a formula to decide the amount due.

Clubs get a chance to sort it between themselves and if they dont it goes to a tribunal, who use a formula to settle it.

2 hours ago, IR1970 said:

Definitely in for him. Compensation is a problem believe Thistle would rather throw in Sena than pay Compensation but that was knocked back.

Could they not loan Sena and give compensation but just pay a far smaller amount because we have loaned them a player?

18 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He’s only been with them a year, surely the compensation can’t be that much.

We tried to sign Ross Stewart when he was leaving st Mirren and I heard a rumour that a stumbling block was we didn’t want to pay compensation to st Mirren and we lost out to county.  Given we struggled to avoid relegation and score goals while county got promotion with stewart scoring plenty of goals that decision more than came back to bite us in the backside- financially as well given we could have had a decent striker if we had paid the compensation and the money earned from challenging for promotion would have been a hell of a lot more than floundering near the bottom 

i hope we don’t make the same mistake again and lose out on a decent player because we are too tight to pay some compensation 

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Clubs get a chance to sort it between themselves and if they dont it goes to a tribunal, who use a formula to settle it.

Surely clubs are then just an Excel spreadsheet away from cutting out the middle man (and the presumed costs of going to a tribunal)?

If a tribunal just use a formula, there isnt really any need for it, is there? Or am i missing something?

15 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Surely clubs are then just an Excel spreadsheet away from cutting out the middle man (and the presumed costs of going to a tribunal)?

If a tribunal just use a formula, there isnt really any need for it, is there? Or am i missing something?

There's lot of things that seem random when at a tribunal tbh, there's a vague formula to stick by but it includes stuff like previous transfer bids for the player and "club rating".

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's lot of things that seem random when at a tribunal tbh, there's a vague formula to stick by but it includes stuff like previous transfer bids for the player and "club rating".

That just sounds like code for stick 50% on the value of OF colts..

22 minutes ago, thisal said:

That just sounds like code for stick 50% on the value of OF colts..

Like Charlie Telfer moving to United from Rangers, a ridiculous amount of money no other club could, or will, get for a player of that experience/age.

10 hours ago, third lanark said:

We tried to sign Ross Stewart when he was leaving st Mirren and I heard a rumour that a stumbling block was we didn’t want to pay compensation to st Mirren

This isn’t correct.

You’ve posted a number of times on here in the last few months about the board being tight and not supporting the manager at the time(whether McCall, Caldwell or Archibald), which isn’t true either - maybe don’t believe every rumour which is spread about. 

3 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Is he still contracted to you ?

Doesn't matter. His registration will still be held by the last club he played for so if they want to hold out for compensation they can - it's just a bit weird if they're not actually due that much.

I think Sibbald at Falkirk is probably the most obvious example of the issue in principle; he was OOC and wanted to move (I think he went on trial with Luton amongst others) but Falkirk insisted they were due £500k in development money or whatever so after a while he ended up signing a 1 year extension because no one was willing to pay whatever it was Falkirk were after for him.

It may have been Houston who was their manager at the time and I seem to remember him pitching up on Sportsound and making a big deal about how much they were entitled to.

Actually, here's a reference to it:

"Sibbald is out of contract with Falkirk but has a deal from the Bairns on the table. It will remain there to ensure the club is due training compensation for the homegrown hero."

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/sibbald-heads-slovenia-luton-1102308

Edited by capt_oats

18 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

This isn’t correct.

You’ve posted a number of times on here in the last few months about the board being tight and not supporting the manager at the time(whether McCall, Caldwell or Archibald), which isn’t true either - maybe don’t believe every rumour which is spread about. 

Fair enough about rumours you will know better than me and it’s good to know the board not being tight

17 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Do you know roughly how much compensation it is we are looking for?

It should be much less than what we will want for Rudden. There has been announcement of Zac signing a permanent deal at Dens. Presumably, we still hold his registration. 

IIRC International caps, including U21 and U19 levels, are reflected in the tribunal's valuations. They should not affect what you would get from us for Fitzpatrick if we sign him without a figure being agreed.

5 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It should be much less than what we will want for Rudden. There has been announcement of Zac signing a permanent deal at Dens. Presumably, we still hold his registration. 

IIRC International caps, including U21 and U19 levels, are reflected in the tribunal's valuations. They should not affect what you would get from us for Fitzpatrick if we sign him without a figure being agreed.

One of the most important factors in development fees/compensation is years spent at the club. That's why the compensation for someone like Jack Hamilton at us will end up being a fair bit more than Rudden - although it could be interesting if we organised some kind of swap deal like we did with Tiffoney and Penrice. Both players seem to have been comfortable starters at each club. 

21 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Doesn't matter. His registration will still be held by the last club he played for so if they want to hold out for compensation they can - it's just a bit weird if they're not actually due that much.

I think Sibbald at Falkirk is probably the most obvious example of the issue in principle; he was OOC and wanted to move (I think he went on trial with Luton amongst others) but Falkirk insisted they were due £500k in development money or whatever so after a while he ended up signing a 1 year extension because no one was willing to pay whatever it was Falkirk were after for him.

It may have been Houston who was their manager at the time and I seem to remember him pitching up on Sportsound and making a big deal about how much they were entitled to.

Actually, here's a reference to it:

I was only asking if he was still contracted to QOS.