The Partick Thistle thread

A third striker who could feasibly start ahead of Dowds and Graham would be nice, but there are more glaring priorities for us in the transfer window just now. In order, I would say:

- A dynamic, attacking centre mid to breathe some much needed life into the Docherty-Bannigan pairing; the Father Stone of central midfield partnerships.

- Another winger, preferably right-sided. It's hard to find one at this level who isn't a hopeless sand-dancer, but even an Aiden Fitzpatrick type as a standard example should give some much needed balance and reduce the complete dependence on Tiffoney for a creative outlet in the final third.

- A goalkeeper who isn't signed as a back-up to Sneddon, but as a credible contender to replace him as #1. Sneddon had his moments last season but on the whole I'm not convinced he's a keeper that earns us more points than he costs us.

6 hours ago, AMMjag said:

A third striker who could feasibly start ahead of Dowds and Graham would be nice, but there are more glaring priorities for us in the transfer window just now. In order, I would say:

- A dynamic, attacking centre mid to breathe some much needed life into the Docherty-Bannigan pairing; the Father Stone of central midfield partnerships.

- Another winger, preferably right-sided. It's hard to find one at this level who isn't a hopeless sand-dancer, but even an Aiden Fitzpatrick type as a standard example should give some much needed balance and reduce the complete dependence on Tiffoney for a creative outlet in the final third.

- A goalkeeper who isn't signed as a back-up to Sneddon, but as a credible contender to replace him as #1. Sneddon had his moments last season but on the whole I'm not convinced he's a keeper that earns us more points than he costs us.

I think Turner is this player. Hopefully we don’t spend next season wasting him outwide again. If we’re playing a 4-3-3 he should be a starter in midfielder.

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Agreed. If we're playing 433 /4231 we need 3 more wingers as f**k playing Smith or Turner out wide ever again. 

Has Smith been shite for you? Always seemed to do well against us for Ayr and St Mirren.

Kind of player we lack in our squad.

2 minutes ago, madton said:

Has Smith been shite for you? Always seemed to do well against us for Ayr and St Mirren.

Kind of player we lack in our squad.

Yeah, think he had 1 goal and 1 assist (maybe 2) all season. I'm actually now at the point where - without knowing his wages relative to the rest of the squad- I'd probably keep him and hope it works out this year rather than mutually consent him, as it feels like if we let him go and he ended up back at Ayr he'd rediscover his old form. Suppose we could loan him to someone else in the division which would mean he couldn't play against us.

In other news, pre-season confirmed with games away at Alloa and Kelty on 21st and 24th plus 2 closed door matches vs Clyde and Rangers after that. 

The league cup group stages killing pre-season away trips to England / NI / Highland League teams is one of the greater travesties of our time. We do have a free Saturday in the middle but there's no chance that'll be filled I'd think.

22 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Given Graham’s abysmal form in the 2nd half of the season, I will be astonished if Dowds isn’t the main striker next season

20 hours ago, Pat Boon said:

Yep. Graham's a last 20 minutes player now.

Not sure about that.

20 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Pretty sure Graham was playing injured for a fair bit of the second half of the season. He’s fine as our main striker as long as we have someone running off him (like Rudden in the first half of the season - when Graham played his best stuff) and adequate cover to avoid relying on him too much (better than MacIver and Alegria)

Agreed.

Still got a gut feeling that Rudden could be back at Firhill next season.

No evidence other than the thought that Bowyer will want the freedom to build the squad that he wants.

6 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
10 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:
All being well, there will be a Firhill friendly that Saturday.

Surely not given we asked for our home cup games to be rounds 4 and 5 so the pitch was finished?

Saturday 16th July? Yeah, if the pitch is ready then we’ll have a friendly at Firhill. When we asked for home cup matches on rounds 4 and 5, we didn’t know when our away games would be. That we are missing round 3, presents an opportunity.

If it’s not ready for a match then we’ll play it somewhere else behind closed doors.

53 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I heard we were - how have you heard anything further 

Someone said on here that you were after him but were negotiating  compensation with us because he’s under 23 

11 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Someone said on here that you were after him but were negotiating  compensation with us because he’s under 23 

Does compensation have to be negotiated. I would have thought there would be a formula to decide the amount due.

6 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Does compensation have to be negotiated. I would have thought there would be a formula to decide the amount due.

I have no idea, going off of what a guy said on here.

9 minutes ago, OnlyteaminGlasgow said:

Probably made up, if you believe half the stuff on here that some say we are signing we would be heading for the Champions League!

You mean we’re not signing Jordan Rhodes?

Must be Shankland then.

3 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I have no idea, going off of what a guy said on here.

Definitely in for him. Compensation is a problem believe Thistle would rather throw in Sena than pay Compensation but that was knocked back.

33 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

Definitely in for him. Compensation is a problem believe Thistle would rather throw in Sena than pay Compensation but that was knocked back.

Do you know roughly how much compensation it is we are looking for?