The Partick Thistle thread

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye McCalls recruitment consists of ex players, players he’s seen play against his teams, OF youngsters and the odd player recommending by an auld pal.

Never anything out of the box with him really.

Indeed.

There's speculation on WAT, probably without foundation, that Zac Rudden may wish to return to the Jags next season. 

Unlike Blair Lyons who had also signed a PCA, he was not mentioned in the loan player update on 4th May - https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/player-update-4th-may-2022/.  Similarly, Rudden was not mentioned in the 9th May update on the out-of-contract players - https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/player-update-9th-may-2022/.

It is odd that, unlike the other players who are leaving the club, his contribution was ignored. Did he leave us in acrimonious circumstances? If Zac does become available, e.g. not wanted by Dundee's new manager, should McCall offer him a new deal?

The same post says we’ve also signed Dylan Easton and Lawless have signed and we’re also speaking to Steve David, Christie Elliott and Jordan Rhodes. Would take it with a pinch of salt

35 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It is odd that, unlike the other players who are leaving the club, his contribution was ignored. Did he leave us in acrimonious circumstances? If Zac does become available, e.g. not wanted by Dundee's new manager, should McCall offer him a new deal?

I think Rudden leaving (and us not replacing with a similar quality) was one of the factors in us falling away from challenging closer to the top, so its still naturally frustrating. But I'd probably still take him back given his contribution earlier in the season - I'd say its extremely unlikely though.

8 minutes ago, Reid said:

The same post says we’ve also signed Dylan Easton and Lawless have signed and we’re also speaking to Steve David, Christie Elliott and Jordan Rhodes. Would take it with a pinch of salt

Jordan Rhodes who scored last night to take his side within a game from the English Premier League? Safe to say that one isn't happening. Would absolutely take Easton though. 

2 minutes ago, Reid said:

It was obviously a wind-up but Dundee's new manager may want to bring in another striker.

If so, Rudden could be available, possibly on loan. I'd take him back if we can afford him.

2 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

I think Rudden leaving (and us not replacing with a similar quality) was one of the factors in us falling away from challenging closer to the top, so its still naturally frustrating. But I'd probably still take him back given his contribution earlier in the season - I'd say its extremely unlikely though.

Jordan Rhodes who scored last night to take his side within a game from the English Premier League? Safe to say that one isn't happening. Would absolutely take Easton though. 

Agree totally.

Rhodes also has two years left on his contract. 😀

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

Dundee will probably be paying Rudden about double what we were when he officially starts his contract with them. No chance he's back with us next year.

Are PCAs legally binding or can Dundee wriggle out of the deal without paying him compensation?

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

Are PCAs legally binding or can Dundee wriggle out of the deal without paying him compensation?

I don't think they're legally binding and there's precedent for players getting out of them. I'm not sure why Dundee would want to do that, though, as Rudden proved with us that he's a pretty good player at this level.

Of course, this is Dundee we're talking about who regularly do stupid things (see: appointing Mark McGhee), so I suppose there's a chance they don't want to keep him.

Would it not be more likely Rudden wants to get out of it- I know there are / were rumours that Ricky Lamie who had also agreed a PCA with Dundee had a get-out clause in his if Dundee went down but I've not paid much attention to that.

If Rudden is playing in the Championship next year he'll be a Dundee player. But it won't matter as we've got Jordan Rhodes.

2 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Would it not be more likely Rudden wants to get out of it- I know there are / were rumours that Ricky Lamie who had also agreed a PCA with Dundee had a get-out clause in his if Dundee went down but I've not paid much attention to that.

If Rudden is playing in the Championship next year he'll be a Dundee player. But it won't matter as we've got Jordan Rhodes.

I hope so because he's been brutal.

At the meet the manager last night and speaking to McCall we have a right back due to come in end of the week, sounds like McMillan or Elliot going off when a boy asked if he played for the club before McCall said aye. 
He is also hopeful of another midfielder and is looking to bring in another goalkeeper, first choice centre back, a striker(who wants to come in as the number 1) and two right sided midfielders, one being Fitzpatrick.

On 16/05/2022 at 10:50, Trogdor said:

...and yet we'd take Uncle Ian back in a heart beat.

Speak for yourself. As far as I'm concerned we punched above our weight for about 5 months (Aug to Dec his 2nd attempt at the championship).

The other 4.5 years he was anywhere between average and poor. He's a messianic figure amongst our support on account of what came before and after him.

17 minutes ago, placidcasual said:

Speak for yourself. As far as I'm concerned we punched above our weight for about 5 months (Aug to Dec his 2nd attempt at the championship).

The other 4.5 years he was anywhere between average and poor. He's a messianic figure amongst our support on account of what came before and after him.

With the bar set that high there can't be many managers in our history you are happy with then?

Edited by Trogdor

7 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, but he’s been there and done that.

Time for something new and exotic. Like the League Cup group stages.

McCall told Rhodes that he'll be our first choice right-back.  

So Jordan bought out his Huddersfield contract....   ;)

Edited by Bishop Briggs

7 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

How bad? Perhaps he did not get on with McGhee.

Presumably WGS will decide who is signed up for next season.

As in often looked like he was a competition winner in a terrible Dundee side.

Maybe the Championship is his level, but he's not shown he's got any aspects of being a competent footballer down at all so far.

Still hoping it 'clicks' in the way he's seemed to light on fire before though.