The Partick Thistle thread

9 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

We’re not paying Kevin Holt over 60 grand a year in basic salary. 

Believe what you want but I no for  a fact it is true. 

Do you think players sign for Thistle because they like Glasgow no all about the crazy wages you pay  you will easily have the biggest budget in the Championship before Dundee arrive 

1 minute ago, Greenacres said:

Do you think players sign for Thistle because they like Glasgow no all about the crazy wages you pay  you will easily have the biggest budget in the Championship before Dundee arrive 

No, you don’t. You’re talking absolute shite.

I think that we pay more than most clubs in this division will, and we probably will have amongst the biggest budgets now that Killie and Pars are away. That doesn’t mean that your fantasy land figures are true though.

I also actually do think being Glasgow based helps in attracting players over some clubs. It’s much more convenient for a lot of guys that travelling to places like Ayr or the borders would be. Couple that with a marginally better wage, and aye. 

12 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Well the budget must be increasing substantially then because last season we couldn’t match what O’Brien and McKenna were getting at Arbroath  (who we were trying to sign)

15 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

You said you heard it from a third party so you absolutely do not know for a fact that it's true. 

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Countless players we’ve signed over the years have cited Glasgow as a big factor in why they come. Ie, Brian Graham had offers from St Johnstone and Kilmarnock, and was still wanted at County but chose to come to us because of our location - do you really think a club on the brink of relegation were offering him more than 2/3 Premiership sides? 

That last point just doesn’t stack up with anyone’s general understanding of the club at the moment, - last summer we lost out on players to Dundee, Inverness, Arbroath, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline (and that’s just the ones that are known), would that have been the case if the wages were as ‘crazy’ as you suggested?

2 hours ago, Walter said:

You said you heard it from a third party so you absolutely do not know for a fact that it's true. 

My cousin's pal told him his uncle knocked Tyson Fury out with one punch back in the day but signed an NDA so couldny tell anyone.

Someone said it, so it must be true. 

On 14/05/2022 at 15:12, JagsCG said:

Seems there is a rumour going around that we’re after Aaron Muirhead again (he’s been offered a new deal at Ayr but yet to accept). Would be a bit of an under-whelming signing but I’d presume he’d be a backup/squad player at best. 

IIRC that rumour was circulating last summer. We are always getting linked with Ayr players that McCall managed. I'd rather have Regan Tumility.

Another possibility is Jason Naismith who was out of favour under McInnes. Ex loanee Jack McMillan, out of contract at Livingston, could be a decent shout too.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

IIRC that rumour was circulating last summer. We are always getting linked with Ayr players that McCall managed. I'd rather have Regan Tumility.

Another possibility is Jason Naismith who was out of favour under McInnes. Ex loanee Jack McMillan, out of contract at Livingston, could be a decent shout too.

Heard Tumillity is heading to St Mirren would take McMillan. 

2 minutes ago, IR1970 said:

Heard Tumillity is heading to St Mirren would take McMillan. 

Thanks. I was not aware that Tumility had a deal lined up. 

IIRC McMillan can play in midfield and cover at LB too. Could be an Ideal replacement for Foster.

Still need a pacy right wing-back with a good cross.

Brownlie, Akinola and Holt already on the books for next season as CBs, so either McCall is signing him to play him out of position or he’s just going to be a utility squad player. If we are indeed signing him at all, of course.

15 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Brownlie, Akinola and Holt already on the books for next season as CBs, so either McCall is signing him to play him out of position or he’s just going to be a utility squad player. If we are indeed signing him at all, of course.

14 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Apparently he was at firhill over the past few days, McCall loves signing a player from a previous club, don't be surprised if he's playing RB

Another CB to play at RB (i.e. a straight replacement for McKenna) or to play on the right of a back three?

In any case, we need to attract better players than Muirhead to get promoted.

Another CB to play at RB (i.e. a straight replacement for McKenna) or to play on the right of a back three?

Aye McCall could conceivably just stick him at RB permanently. Especially if Milne on the other side is bombing forward all the time.

4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

But if he’s coming in to replace Steven Bell, then you won’t attract many players willing to do that role who’re better than Muirhead. The only worry would be if McCall fancies him as a starter.