The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I don't dislike McCall intensely. I just think that our management team have, given their budget, under-performed since they were appointed after the Caldwell disaster. McCall's team failed to save us from relegation and they were fortunate that Falkirk fell apart last season. McCall admitted that he was close being sacked after the East Fife game. Steven Bell saved his job.

This season, we were lucky that Raith Rovers imploded after the Goodwillie fiasco to enable us to finish 4th. Even so, we finished 15 points behind Dick Campbell's part-timers. We had a great chance to finish second but our performances since January have been dire. It's up to McCall and the management to deliver tomorrow and then against Arbroath. 

Thistle's loyal and long suffering fans deserve much better than McCall's mediocrity and Low's mendacity. I just fervently hope that they get it - starting tomorrow evening.

The relegation was a controversial demotion.

We won league one because we were the better team

qualifying for the playoffs is not mediocre - really as most of us would have been delighted with that a year ago.

we have been poor since January obviously some of that has not been helped by the pitch. Also we ended up with non scoring strikers like Jakubiak and Allegria because the directors didn’t back him in the January window.  Not a chance either of these guys were main targets

Additionally the departure of Rudden didn’t help either 

Just now, third lanark said:

The relegation was a controversial demotion.

We won league one because we were the better team

qualifying for the playoffs is not mediocre - really as most of us would have been delighted with that a year ago.

we have been poor since January obviously some of that has not been helped by the pitch. Also we ended up with non scoring strikers like Jakubiak and Allegria because the directors didn’t back him in the January window.  Not a chance either of these guys were main targets

Additionally the departure of Rudden didn’t help either 

We should have been nowhere near relegation. McCall had plenty of time and the budget to turn it around. We won League One because Falkirk imploded.

We qualified for the play-offs this season because, fortunately, Rovers were even worse than us after signing Goodwillie. It's too easy to the blame the Firhill pitch. as other teams have been able to beat us on it.

McCall chose to sign non-scoring strikers like Jakubiak and Alegria. They will be getting a decent wage. McAllister was brought in and has contributed very little. Firth was added to the squad too. The Directors backed him in January but our performances deteriorated.

McCall gave new deals to Niang and MacIver and then punted them out on loan. He has just released MacIver and told Niang to find a club. The reality is that his recruitment and judgement have been poor but not as bad as Caldwell's.

I said a while ago McCall has done enough to justify keeping his job. 

Last season the goal was to win the league, despite being chronic at times we achieved that goal so McCall rightly stayed in his position.

This season the goal was realistically to get top four. We achieved that despite being bad to watch a lot of the second half of the season, so once again McCall has achieved the goal this season so for me rightly keeps his job. 

Next season the goal will likely be the title from the outset, we will have to wait and see how that goes.

2 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

My big worry about potentially emptying McCall is who we might end up with.

This is really it for me.

While I’d say we’re a bigger club and probably more attractive prospect than Raith Rovers are, we’re looking at the same market as them and the names they’re being linked with would frankly terrify me. McCall has his faults, but he’s clearly a more than competent manager at this level. 

Other than that, I think that McCall didn’t do well enough in his first season, albeit he was hindered by Caldwell’s squad, but he’s met expectations in the two seasons since. We completely collapsed this season which is disappointing, but I think everyone would have taken fourth at the start of the season so fair enough. I’m also excited by the transfers we’ve made for next season already, and I think McCall deserves the chance to see how that goes. 

I said a while ago McCall has done enough to justify keeping his job. 

Last season the goal was to win the league, despite being chronic at times we achieved that goal so McCall rightly stayed in his position.
This season the goal was realistically to get top four. We achieved that despite being bad to watch a lot of the second half of the season, so once again McCall has achieved the goal this season so for me rightly keeps his job. 

Next season the goal will likely be the title from the outset, we will have to wait and see how that goes.
I don't think the title will be the be all and end all next season. I think a higher league finish and a cup run will be the aims next season. It looks like we'll be having a fairly substantial clear out of squad players at the end of the season so we need to improve the quality of who we bring in as, as I said earlier, our squad depth is what has really killed us. Barring central midfield we need strengthening in every department.

7 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

they were fortunate that Falkirk fell apart last season. McCall admitted that he was close being sacked after the East Fife game.

Does the fact that post-East Fife match we picked up 19 points out of a possible 21 (scoring 20 goals and conceding only 2 in the process) not have quite a lot of relevance to us winning that title? Rather than just being ‘fortunate’ for Falkirk collapsing which in-part could’ve been down to us picking up form and pressuring them. 

Steven Lennon or Juan Allegria.

Discuss.

Edit: lennon at least went on to do well in iceland, i genuinely think allegria is one of the all time worst and might be out of professional football in a couple of seasons. Least he's only a loanee, but it still grates that even a competent striker for this level might just have been enough to finish a bit higher in the league/grab a goal in the playoff tie.

Wouldnt have been enough in isolation, that goal we conceded tonight, f**k me. Not the only failure but the most glaring. Bannigan was poor too. Akinola was decent i think.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Some amount of utter dross on the pitch for us at the end of that game. Looking forward to the clearout announcements over the next few days.

It’s not been the worst season; just a bit forgettable really. I’d guess most people would have been pretty happy with a 4th place finish before a ball was kicked, but it still feels a bit disappointing the way we’ve capitulated since the turn of the year. I think it’s a pretty wild shout to call for McCall’s head right now, but I do agree he’ll be going into next year with a decent level of pressure on.

Low out.

Tiffoney has been a great signing. He has been hampered in the second half of the season by the pitch and teams getting wise to him. If we can use the funds to bring in two or three signings to bolster the attack and wide areas with a bit of pace it could work out well. 

I still remember the summer we lost Chic Charnley and Davie Elliott to St Mirren for £250,000 and Geordie Shaw and Mark McWalter. I was gutted.  Worked out back then. Hopefully we can wheel and deal to our benefit again. 

Double swap deals plus cash is a feature of my footballing childhood that won't ever be back. Certainly a Lambie speciality too. 

We're OK for centre halves (on the assumption Tunji doesn't want to go back down South despite being under contract, which I think is in play) and centre mids (tho I and everyone else would happily punt Smith).

Need a smaller quicker striker to go along with Graham and Dowds, and lots of improvement in the wide areas. 

Though if Tiffoney is away and we can find a decent RWB (Tumilty?) then a 3-5-2 would suit the shape of the squad as is. 

24 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Double swap deals plus cash is a feature of my footballing childhood that won't ever be back. Certainly a Lambie speciality too. 

We're OK for centre halves (on the assumption Tunji doesn't want to go back down South despite being under contract, which I think is in play) and centre mids (tho I and everyone else would happily punt Smith).

Need a smaller quicker striker to go along with Graham and Dowds, and lots of improvement in the wide areas. 

Though if Tiffoney is away and we can find a decent RWB (Tumilty?) then a 3-5-2 would suit the shape of the squad as is. 

Akinola has been poor. Hence the reason for him been in and out of the team. I really can't understand the fans love in with him. Yep agree with punting Smith. McCall also got to take the blinkers off regarding Docherty. He is garbage. In my living memory, only Kenny Brannagin was a worse choice of captain.

Juan Alegria is a great case study to show that scoring against plumbers and binmen in the Lowland League doesn't mean you can score against better plumbers and binmen in the Championship.

What a fucking diddy.

Edited by Smurph