The Partick Thistle thread

47 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That said, I still think attempting to replace Ross MacIver (who is also shite) was the correct course of action. Seeing a bit of revisionism about him on Twitter which I’m find utterly baffling. 

Aye, it’s just different levels of shite really. MacIver is a nothing footballer who occasionally wins some headers, Alegria is a nothing footballer who runs around a lot.

Both not good enough, although if I had to pick one now it would probably be MacIver. I thought Alegria looked quite lively in his first couple of games but apparently being lively is literally his whole game and he just has nothing else.

Letting Rudden leave and not replacing him has cost us what slim chance of promotion we actually had.

Am I right in thinking that McCall signed til the end of next season when he (re)joined? Had a quick Google but nothing coming up and I don't recall him signing an extension since. 

I think he might be under a bit more pressure next season although it will depend on the various playoff results - we could have the second biggest budget in the league next year if the Premier team wins the playoff and Dunfermline are replaced by Airdrie. 

Dowds and Milne are certainly good starting points on paper and  hopefully Graham has another year in him with a bit of rest over the summer, but the two main issues for me are the entire right hand side of the team not being up to it, and Docherty and Bannigan being too similar - I think he can sort the first but won't do anything about the second. 

Edited by Fuctifano

15 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Am I right in thinking that McCall signed til the end of next season when he (re)joined? Had a quick Google but nothing coming up and I don't recall him signing an extension since. 

I think he might be under a bit more pressure next season although it will depend on the various playoff results - we could have the second biggest budget in the league next year if the Premier team wins the playoff and Dunfermline are replaced by Airdrie. 

Dowds and Milne are certainly good starting points on paper and  hopefully Graham has another year in him with a bit of rest over the summer, but the two main issues for me are the entire right hand side of the team not being up to it, and Docherty and Bannigan being too similar - I think he can sort the first but won't do anything about the second. 

IIRC McCall signed up for three seasons and is therefore out of contract this summer.

There may be extension options/clauses that have been triggered since then..

It's also possible that he has signed a new deal or extension that has not been announced publicly.

5 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

IIRC McCall signed up for three seasons and is therefore out of contract this summer.

There may be extension options/clauses that have been triggered since then..

It's also possible that he has signed a new deal or extension that has not been announced publicly.

He may also have got an extension following promotion last season or there is something that triggers an extension upon reaching top 4 etc I guess

I don’t think it was ever clear either the length of deals Archie or Caldwell were on either 

Edited by third lanark

13 minutes ago, third lanark said:

He may also have got an extension following promotion last season or there is something that triggers an extension upon reaching top 4 etc I guess

I don’t think it was ever clear either the length of deals Archie or Caldwell were on either 

There's been no talk or press speculation about the possibility of McCall leaving. The signings of Milne and Dowds on PCAs also suggest that he's under contract for next season. 

With no recent extensions or new deals, it appears that there will be a large clear-out of fringe players this month. If the rumours are true, There could be a few more signings announced over the next few weeks. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs

There's an interesting comment on WAT regarding the transfer of the Colin Weir stand and the Bing from 3BC to the club.

"Still no sign of the much vaunted title transfer. I checked a similar transfer of another registered property which I submitted to the Registers late on Friday afternoon. The pending application is showing clearly on the Registers, so not sure why the Firhill transfer should be any different."

Have we been duped by Low again?

Gordon and MacIver both away - we already knew about Lyons.

Good. They were both shite. I think that Gordon will probably get another full time gig, but would imagine that MacIver is done above part time level.

Sena also being told he can go if he can find a club, which is probably fair enough. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

"Mouhamed Niang has another year in his contract but we won’t stand in his way if he can find another Club this summer as he is at a vital stage in his development and needs gametime that we can’t promise him at Firhill"

Surprised McCall wasn't considering giving him a go at right midfield tbh.

Was hoping Sena would be the defensive midfielder we need but obviously hasn't progressed as expected at Alloa.

The others weren't up to it at this level, was surprised both Gordon and Maciver were offered deals this season tbh. 

Probably for the best for Sena if he wants to actually play in the next couple of years. Bannigan and Docherty are irreplaceable in McCall’s mind and then there’s Turner under contract as well next season and the possibility of us signing Crowford on for longer (shudder). It would be very tough for Sena to get a game in his natural position.

Also, the number of our fans who are replying under that Twitter post that seem gutted Shea Gordon is away is staggering.

47 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Probably for the best for Sena if he wants to actually play in the next couple of years. Bannigan and Docherty are irreplaceable in McCall’s mind and then there’s Turner under contract as well next season and the possibility of us signing Crowford on for longer (shudder). It would be very tough for Sena to get a game in his natural position.

Also, the number of our fans who are replying under that Twitter post that seem gutted Shea Gordon is away is staggering.

We'd have a centre mid pairing of him and Reece Cole if some had their way and then we'd be wishing we had a problem like Docherty and Bannigan being too similar.

12 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Hopefully, this statement does not suggest that McCall wants to offer new deals to Foster, McKenna, Bell, Murray and Crawford. Smith can go too.

There's no mention of Hendrie and Rudden. 

I doubt they felt that they needed to bother clarifying what’s happening with Rudden.

This statement was only to cover what’s happening with loanees - doesn’t seem a good idea to announce that we’re punting a load of players when they’ve still got another game to play for us. I expect that we’ll get a statement in the days after we’ve lost to Caley.

18 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Hopefully, this statement does not suggest that McCall wants to offer new deals to Foster, McKenna, Bell, Murray and Crawford. Smith can go too.

There's no mention of Hendrie and Rudden. 

We've still got a game/ games to play. I don't think now is the time to say who is and isn't staying. Fwiw i'd keep Hendrie as back up.

37 minutes ago, Pat Boon said:

We've still got a game/ games to play. I don't think now is the time to say who is and isn't staying. Fwiw i'd keep Hendrie as back up.

So why announce the departures of the others so early? The club could have waited a few days more.

Irrespective of Friday's result, my fear is that McCall will offer new deals to players who are clearly not good enough for this league.

Btw, I'd keep Hendrie too but there are rumours that he's agreed to join Queen's Park.

26 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

So why announce the departures of the others so early? The club could have waited a few days more.

Thistle manager Ian McCall said:

“It’s that time of the year where tough decisions have to be made as we look to build a squad for next season. With a few players out on loan, and their seasons at an end, I felt it would have been unfair to delay telling them about their futures until our play-off journey had concluded.“

Just now, Slacker said:

Thistle manager Ian McCall said:

“It’s that time of the year where tough decisions have to be made as we look to build a squad for next season. With a few players out on loan, and their seasons at an end, I felt it would have been unfair to delay telling them about their futures until our play-off journey had concluded.“

He could told them privately before a public statement at the end of our season.

37 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Irrespective of Friday's result, my fear is that McCall will offer new deals to players who are clearly not good enough for this league.

Btw, I'd keep Hendrie too but there are rumours that he's agreed to join Queen's Park.

Clearly the ones announced couldn't play with us again this season. Whether we get past Caley or not.  Not heard anything about Hendrie to QP but i would dearly love someone to come in for for Docherty.

43 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

He could told them privately before a public statement at the end of our season.

They start looking for another club. Something appears on Twitter and Jags fans blame the club (J Low) for not announcing they were leaving.

I honestly don't know why you're making a fuss over this.