The Partick Thistle thread

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The Milne rumours have been floating about for a while now, and with the club posting cryptic messages about our next signing being a LB, it seems like this one is a done deal.

I’d prefer Milne, but Strapp would be a really good signing as well.

If it's Harry we have some hell of a job replacing him. Once he starts motoring he's unstoppable. This rumour has been ongoing for 2 months so I would have expected Cove to have lined up a suitable replacement. I would see Considine as a CB for us and not LB, if we can tempt him that is.

Some folk adamant it is Harry Milne on social media. I had a brief chat with his agent but he wasn't giving anything away. Seems like a great signing on paper. 

Happy enough with Dowds if added to Graham and A,N, Other. 

Team lacking width and pace, outwith Tiffoney, Milne hopefully the start in addressing that. 

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s no bad at all (assuming we get the Arbroath version) 

Never saw this coming 😱 Heard he had already signed a Pre contract tae with us, Considering his relationship and success this season it seems a bit weird to have ended up with you guys

11 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Never saw this coming 😱 Heard he had already signed a Pre contract tae with us, Considering his relationship and success this season it seems a bit weird to have ended up with you guys

Me either but I doubt he would go to Arbroath unless it was on full-time terms. Thistle will be a bigger lure for full-time players than Arbroath., unless they bring in some kind of hybrid system and up their wages.

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Go for Strapp instead. He's out of contract in the summer. Let us keep Harry!

I thought he was a shoe-in to turn up at Arbroath.

I saw Dowds against us at Balmoral a few weeks back. Looked decent in a poor team but I still have some hesitation about him. Possibly because he's fairly unproven at the Championship level and partly because he never really set league 1 alight. He timed his stint at Arbroath perfectly. They were flying, Nouble was running riot and he was a benefactor. He had a purple patch at Arbroath with 5 goals in a 6 game spell and can hold the ball up which is a strong asset.

Is he as good as Rudden or Graham in his prime? I'm not convinced but saying that he can score goals and could turn out to be a success. 

Rudden is a totally different type of player than Dowds more of your poacher than Dowds

On 21/04/2022 at 16:13, Nightmare said:

The Milne rumours have been floating about for a while now, and with the club posting cryptic messages about our next signing being a LB, it seems like this one is a done deal.

I’d prefer Milne, but Strapp would be a really good signing as well.

James Maxwell is another LB that we've been linked with but Sevco would have to let him leave for little or no compensation.

Dowds should be an upgrade on MacIver but we need a proven striker at our level to replace Rudden.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Scott Burns saying that you’re after Paddy Reading (left back) from us.

Does he play any other positions? Can’t imagine we’re signing 2 LBs, unless McCall sees Milne as someone who will play further up the pitch.

(I suppose Reading could be the LB we’ve already signed to a pre-contract, but then we wouldn’t really be “after” him)

Does he play any other positions? Can’t imagine we’re signing 2 LBs, unless McCall sees Milne as someone who will play further up the pitch.
(I suppose Reading could be the LB we’ve already signed to a pre-contract, but then we wouldn’t really be “after” him)

He’s played left of midfield for Scotland Under 21s but that was more shite defensive tactics from Gemmell than that being a position he’s able to play. Have heard he can play RB but he’s never done so for us.

I’d imagine this is the LB you’ve signed and Burns is just a wee bit behind or alternatively the club are very confident he’s signing but it’s not fully done yet. Either way he’s been offered a contract by both clubs.

6 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

We'll get rid of all our centre mids and end up with more left backs than the Scotland national team. 

Milne always seemed a bit of a weird one given the apparent Premiership interest. This seems the more likely option as meh as it seems.

He’s decent enough, and will improve in time, but I also wouldn’t be that bothered if he left. Will always be in the Ayr history books for scoring a derby winner at Rugby Park but I’d like to think we could do better.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Unless of course we have not been able to sign Milne

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

If Holt’s becoming a starting CB permanently and Foster & Hendrie are leaving then I’d imagine we could sign two LBs. 

7 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

If Holt’s becoming a starting CB permanently and Foster & Hendrie are leaving then I’d imagine we could sign two LBs. 

I can’t imagine that either Milne or Reading would want to come here to be back up though.

I’d much rather Milne, but either would be an upgrade on Hendrie or Foster.

We really need a decent right back as well. 

Yep, 3 new FBs needed minimum. I’d guess McCall will keep one of Foster or McKenna as a versatile backup as he seems to like both, although I’d probably rather let both go - Foster looks finished and McKenna quite simply isn’t good enough for this level.

19 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I can’t imagine that either Milne or Reading would want to come here to be back up though.

I’d much rather Milne, but either would be an upgrade on Hendrie or Foster.

We really need a decent right back as well. 

Agree on all points, although no player wants to sign as a backup I still wouldn’t be surprised if McCall is going for 2 LBs. 

I still always get the impression that McKenna is a centre half being asked to play right back, but at the same time he’d be the worst centre half in our squad by some distance.

He seems like a nice guy, but he’s not very good. I think he’ll be at Queens Park next season.

Not sure who I’d be wanting to bring in there - maybe Reagan Tumilty if we can.