The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can't see us giving you a 6 figure fee tbh but I hope we can come to some form of agreement.

I've heard his name hundreds of times but never really paid attention to him. Short term we're looking for a target man type - can he do that role or is he more of a pacy type or penalty box striker?

He’s absolutely not a target man. Good penalty box striker, his play elsewhere on the pitch is extremely hit or miss though.

Give him chances and he’ll score plenty of goals

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He’s absolutely not a target man. Good penalty box striker, his play elsewhere on the pitch is extremely hit or miss though.

Give him chances and he’ll score plenty of goals

Sounds like a less mental Jason Cummings.

I'll say what I said when it looked like he was going to Perth - seems mad for him to commit now to a team that could be back in this league come July, he wasn't going to be short of offers in the summer. 

Think now it's out in the open he'll be gone by the end of the month. 

Thought he would go but going to Dundee is a strange one since there’s a pretty good chance we’ll be sharing a league with them next season. Motherwell would’ve undoubtedly been a much better move which suggests Dundee have chucked more money at him. Would take the comp fee for him now.

Edited by Reid

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hello. 

I see we've signed Rudden on a PCA.

What like as a player? Seems quite hot and cold.

If he can sort out his raggedy first touch he’d be more effective,can’t fault his work rate though ….good luck to him .

16 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Odd move, but they always did say he was not the sharpest tool in the box. Be happy with him leaving now tbh, if he doesn't want to be here then freeze him out or get rid now to Dundee.

Can completely understand this point of view, but if we don’t sell him it’d be madness to not play him given his goals could be the difference between going up or not.

Edited by Jumps

46 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Odd move, but they always did say he was not the sharpest tool in the box. Be happy with him leaving now tbh, if he doesn't want to be here then freeze him out or get rid now to Dundee.

I wouldn't freeze him out, i would lock him out! He doesn't want to be here so let him fester and get fat for Dundee next season.

11 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Freezing him out would be fucking moronic. If he goes to Dundee now for some cash, fair enough but if not then play him.

100%.

Best case scenario is he goes for a small fee or we do a player swap (dont know who Id want from them mind).

But if he stays and shows a good attitude in training, you obviously play him because he gives us a better chance of doing well the rest of the season. Not like Dundee are competitors. Its that simple.

Only difference would be if we ended up with Dundee in the playoffs. 

Every season we will have players get to January with 6 months left on their contract. Every season, some of them will decide early they want a fresh challenege in the summer. Should we freeze every one of them out as well? Because the only difference between them and Rudden is he knows where he'll be going.

3 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

100%.

Best case scenario is he goes for a small fee or we do a player swap (dont know who Id want from them mind).

But if he stays and shows a good attitude in training, you obviously play him because he gives us a better chance of doing well the rest of the season. Not like Dundee are competitors. Its that simple.

Only difference would be if we ended up with Dundee in the playoffs. 

Every season we will have players get to January with 6 months left on their contract. Every season, some of them will decide early they want a fresh challenege in the summer. Should we freeze every one of them out as well? Because the only difference between them and Rudden is he knows where he'll be going.

Aye, we’ve had guys sign pre-contracts before and continue to do well - Paton and Erskine in 2012/13 the prime example. Even Williamson last season played to his best when we all knew he was away to Falkirk - pretty certain he set up the first goal against them too. O’Donnell, ATS, Bannigan (pre-injury) will have all made the decision that they were away at the end of a current season, but continued to do well for us. 

Freezing him out because we know he won’t be here next season serves absolutely no purpose other than making our current squad weaker. I don’t even get what it’s supposed to achieve, it’s not like Rudden’s been publicly disruptive or disrespectful to the club, he’s just signed a deal elsewhere which he presumably thinks is in his best interests. Why on Earth should we punish him for that?

As you say, hopefully we get some cash for him (I don’t want a player swap. The players Dundee would be willing to give us are guys i wouldn’t want near Firhill). Good luck to him when he goes.

It does mean that our need for a striker who isn’t Ross MacIver is greater. Hopefully McCall is on that. 

Rudden obviously sees himself staying in the Championship next season. Nothing would give me more pleasure than beating Dundee in the play-offs but I hope they finish bottom.

ETA - Rudden is under 23 so we are entitled to training compensation if we offer him a new deal on the same or better terms. We should screw as much as we can out of Dundee and go to tribunal if necessary.

Edited by Bishop Briggs