The Partick Thistle thread

21 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Like many, many other people I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Bertie Auld.

To me, who first went to Firhill in 1977 aged 9, he wasn't Bertie Auld, Lisbon Lion. I was too young to appreciate the significance of that. He was simply the cigar smoking manager of my team.

The significance of what he was doing as manager of my team was lost on me too. It's only with the passage of time and the knowledge that comes with age can that be properly put in perspective.

He took a part-time Thistle to the top flight. And kept us there.

He took us to one League Cup Semi-Final.

He took us to two Scottish Cup Semi-Finals. We were cheated in 1979.

He took us to the brink of European football. 

I was gutted when he left. I was just about old enough to appreciate what he had done by then.

I loved it when he came back with Hibs and we won 1-0. "Bertie, Bertie what's the score" sang The Shed underlining how wonderfully fickle we football fans are.

I hated it when his Hamilton side beat us a few years later.

He came back home, just round the corner from his childhood Maryhill home, in 1986 and rescued us from relegation to Scotland's basement league.

He should have stayed beyond that but Ken Bates intervened and the club went into near terminal decline.

It took John Lambie, cut from the same type of cloth as our Bertie, to rescue our club. Imagine had the two worked together at Firhill.

So then farewell Bertie Auld. My first Partick Thistle manager and 44 years on still among the very best.

Partick Thistle Legend. He will never be forgotten.

Great tribute John!

On 14/11/2021 at 12:36, John MacLean said:

He took us to one League Cup Semi-Final.

He took us to two Scottish Cup Semi-Finals. We were cheated in 1979.

We were cheated in the LC semi too. The refereeing at Parkhead that second leg was the worst I ever saw which is a real achievement.

Just now, BillyAnchor said:

We were cheated in the LC semi too. The refereeing at Parkhead that second leg was the worst I ever saw which is a real achievement.

Or did that come later? Now I think of it I remember us losing to Celtic at Hampden in a LC semi that probably was during Auld's tenure. The 2 leg one might have been someone else. The Hampden midweek was scary in the Rangers end, TGFITW pulling blades on us.

On 16/11/2021 at 09:05, BillyAnchor said:

Or did that come later? Now I think of it I remember us losing to Celtic at Hampden in a LC semi that probably was during Auld's tenure. The 2 leg one might have been someone else. The Hampden midweek was scary in the Rangers end, TGFITW pulling blades on us.

We lost a league cup semi final the season after we got promoted from the then new first division of 14 teams. We lost 1-0. I remember that big Edvaldsson scored for Celtic.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

We lost a league cup semi final the season after we got promoted from the then new first division of 14 teams. We lost 1-0. I remember that big Edvaldsson scored for Celtic.

I remember being bombarded with beer cans full of pish.

McCall in the papers saying he is hoping to have 11 players under contract for next season by next couple of weeks. I think we've got 9* at the moment so most likely Sneddon and Akinola although Rudden would obviously be good. 

*Holt

Brownlie 

Sena 

Docherty 

Bannigan 

Smith 

Tiffoney 

Turner

Graham 

He might be counting James Lyon in this, not sure. 

Edited by Fuctifano

I would have thought he would be thinking of bringing a right back in given Foster there would be questions over him continuing for another year with his ever growing media commitments and advancing years, plus mckenna being out of contract. Would go against the times article saying he wasn't looking for defensive reinforcements though

I read it as not signing any defenders in January (assuming we don't suffer loads of injuries between now and then) rather than for next year.

Of the players out of contract, I can only really think of the 3 mentioned that I'd be keen to keep, especially if the goal is promotion. Everyone else can wait til the summer. 

Before the other day, it wouldn’t have surprised me at all to see Bell leave in January but McCall’s claim that he doesn’t prioritise defensive reinforcements because Bell is getting back from injury and can cover would make me assume he is staying put till the end of the season. He was exceptional in League 1 last season, so I’d suggest he could still do a job there. 

I think we’ll keep Bell around till the end of the season, purely on the basis that McCall obviously trusts him. He’ll probably go back to part time somewhere. 

I think Hendrie will be away and, based on the challenge cup game he played, that won’t be much of a loss. 

I didn’t see the challenge cup game(QOS?), so can’t comment on his performance,but definitely wouldn’t bin a player based on one game. Since then we have conceded one goal and barely any need to change the defence. 
And if we were binning players based on their early performances Rudden would just be a player consigned to the mists of history.

14 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I didn’t see the challenge cup game(QOS?), so can’t comment on his performance,but definitely wouldn’t bin a player based on one game. Since then we have conceded one goal and barely any need to change the defence. 
And if we were binning players based on their early performances Rudden would just be a player consigned to the mists of history.

Its not just one game though. Thats all we've seen of him.

McCall and his coaching staff see him every day in training and have decided that, at this stage, playing a right back at left back is a better option.

Would be surprised if he's still at the club come end of January.