The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

McCall has at least shown that he can do well at the level we’re going to. He’s not been good enough so far, but I think he has shown that he could be.

Jacqui Low has done nothing of the sort - every decision she’s made has been dreadful and every statement the club puts out under her is a complete shambles. She needs to go, along with Britton, and then we can worry about the rest.

Plus, if McCall goes then we get another Jacqui appointment...

Probably bring Caldwell back!

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

McCall has at least shown that he can do well at the level we’re going to. He’s not been good enough so far, but I think he has shown that he could be.

Jacqui Low has done nothing of the sort - every decision she’s made has been dreadful and every statement the club puts out under her is a complete shambles. She needs to go, along with Britton, and then we can worry about the rest.

It's baffling how weak Britton has been. When the time came to steady the ship. Get in a safe pair of hands. We brought in a manager with a history of failure. Britton had seen first hand the effect of appointing a dud can do to a Club in that position. He had been that dud, himself. He'd read the story before. 

He'd been a player, a manager and then sat in the Boardroom. But didnt call a stop to Caldwell getting rid of a legend. He knows the fans and knew the repercussions, and sat back and let it happen. That's unforgivable.

As harsh as it is for the vast majority of our fans to believe. I'm afraid he has. 

You’re not taking enough account of how bad we were when he came in. Agree that it’s been a disappointing start, certainly not what people would’ve hoped for ... but he has to be given at least the first half of the next season.

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think if McCall goes we get Archie?

I believe McCall is a very good manager but im very disappointed and underwhelmed in him this last season.  I dont doubt he will remain and he should.  He has also been lucky in that some of the chancers we were lumbered with eg Scott Fox, Sean McGinty etc were not his signings and were absolutely awfulThe rubbish with the apologies after games where we we lost to Arbroath or a low on confidence Dundee has to go.  We are not interested in it and he completely failed to get them up for it.  As does the constant bigging up of Tam Oware and Banzo.  Both were dreadful for us last season, as experienced players we were right to expect so much more from them and his constant bigging them up is ridiculous given how bad they both were, besides im not sure it actually helped either player that much, if anything it probably put them under more pressure.

I doubt the club afford to pay him off and personally I think he deserves another chance despite the awful season they had, because I believe elsewhere he has been a decent manager and I believe he can assemble a good team.  However if we dont acheive promotion either by winning the league or any playoff then he will have to go and he himself I would think must realise that

Edited by third lanark

McCall far from the biggest problem at the club. He didn’t become a bad manager over night. I still think we’d have stayed up had the games been played, Caldwell would have had us relegated before Christmas. Caldwell built that unbalanced a squad, that it was going to take more than 1 transfer window for McCall to fix it. The only fault I have with McCall is, he took a gamble to start a rebuild in January, which clearly hasn’t worked out, apart from that, in terms of non-result matters, I don’t have a lot of fault with him. He’s a good manager, and knows the level we are going to, plus if he goes, which thankfully isn’t happening. But if he did, we get Archie back as No.1, there’s no doubt in my mind that’s exactly what will happen. So very happy to keep McCall. 

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

I doubt the club afford to pay him off and personally I think he deserves another chance despite the awful season they had, because I believe elsewhere he has been a decent manager and I believe he can assemble a good team.  However if we dont acheive promotion either by winning the league or any playoff then he will have to go and he himself I would think must realise that

Absolutely this! If we don’t get promoted next year, (as long as it goes ahead) McCall is gone, no question about it. But right now he deserves his chance, and he now has time (although it’s not a great time to do it) to build a squad up. I have a lot of faith in McCall. 

13 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Absolutely this! If we don’t get promoted next year, (as long as it goes ahead) McCall is gone, no question about it. But right now he deserves his chance, and he now has time (although it’s not a great time to do it) to build a squad up. I have a lot of faith in McCall. 

He wont be sacked. We dont have the money. But he should be. A disgraceful failure. Not one victory in the league from January. He was too full of being in the media about his love for Thistle and bigging himself up of being Thistle manager. He had ample time to get more than he did out of the squad. His constant faith in players who were clearly dreadful and didnt perform was a huge mistake. Bringing back Archie was just an old pals act. 

26 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

McCall far from the biggest problem at the club. He didn’t become a bad manager over night. I still think we’d have stayed up had the games been played, Caldwell would have had us relegated before Christmas. Caldwell built that unbalanced a squad, that it was going to take more than 1 transfer window for McCall to fix it. The only fault I have with McCall is, he took a gamble to start a rebuild in January, which clearly hasn’t worked out, apart from that, in terms of non-result matters, I don’t have a lot of fault with him. He’s a good manager, and knows the level we are going to, plus if he goes, which thankfully isn’t happening. But if he did, we get Archie back as No.1, there’s no doubt in my mind that’s exactly what will happen. So very happy to keep McCall. 

McCall did not gamble in January - he made mistakes that cost us dearly. IIRC Rudden and Mayo missed several games through injury. Mackinnon was not fully fit either. McCall also failed to recruit cover for Williamson. The squad was too thin and lacked depth before the lockdown and no league wins was the result.

14 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

He wont be sacked. We dont have the money. But he should be. A disgraceful failure. Not one victory in the league from January. He was too full of being in the media about his love for Thistle and bigging himself up of being Thistle manager. He had ample time to get more than he did out of the squad. His constant faith in players who were clearly dreadful and didnt perform was a huge mistake. Bringing back Archie was just an old pals act. 

I’ll agree to disagree, because I really don’t think he should be sacked at all. I accept your points but I don’t think it would be a wise move. What I will say is though; I’d expect one of Archie or Scally to leave. 

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

McCall did not gamble in January - he made mistakes that cost us dearly. IIRC Rudden and Mayo missed several games through injury. Mackinnon was not fully fit either. McCall also failed to recruit cover for Williamson. The squad was too thin and lacked depth before the lockdown and no league wins was the result.

He very much did gamble. Rudden got injured after he signed, so that’s not McCall fault’s. He tried to rebuild a broken squad, with new players during the season, I’d say 9 times out of 10, that doesn’t work. Although I’ll take point that it was starting to come together before lockdown. 
McCall signed Lee O’Connor as cover/competition for Williamson! 
Another gamble that didn’t pay off. 

It was a massive gamble, a massive risk, undeniable in my opinion.