The Partick Thistle thread

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not talking about voting, talking about your bias driving your views whereas you might get a better understanding by taking a more rounded view - enough anyway for me as that means there is no real dialogue 

Again, football fans hold biased views, that’s hardly a big secret, nor a big revelation. 

It’s not just Thistle fans that are biased, go look at all the people who’s answer to why they don’t want reconstruction is, “I don’t like Hearts”, that’s their opinion, a fair one, but it’s also biased. 

Football Fans are biased, and will always go from their club’s perspective, that’s not exclusive to Partick Thistle, Hearts or anyone else. 

I get part of your point, about seeing all sides of the argument, but Fans of all clubs will always be biased, that’s not going to change.

Just now, JagsCG said:

Again, football fans hold biased views, that’s hardly a big secret, nor a big revelation. 

It’s not just Thistle fans that are biased, go look at all the people who’s answer to why they don’t want reconstruction is, “I don’t like Hearts”, that’s their opinion, a fair one, but it’s also biased. 

Football Fans are biased, and will always go from their club’s perspective, that’s not exclusive to Partick Thistle, Hearts or anyone else. 

I get part of your point, about seeing all sides of the argument, but Fans of all clubs will always be biased, that’s not going to change.

But the clubs voting by and large aren’t doing so because they don’t like Hearts or Thistle.  And in several cases clubs are accepting losing their play off promotion opportunity - which is absolutely no small thing - because they have taken on board a bigger picture.  

17 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

I have no idea, I was giving an opinion as to why some of the League 1 clubs may vote it down. I don’t know what way specific clubs voted. But that’s irrelevant to the discussion, we know several League 1 clubs voted it down, the question was, what possible reason could they have for doing that, so that’s my opinion as to why. Not sure what you’re not grasping.

For clarity Forfar voted (intimated they would votefor)for the 14-10-10-10 proposed set up that would have ‘saved’ Hearts, Partick and Stranraer.

3 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

But the clubs voting by and large aren’t doing so because they don’t like Hearts or Thistle.  And in several cases clubs are accepting losing their play off promotion opportunity - which is absolutely no small thing - because they have taken on board a bigger picture.  

In the initial vote, the SPFL presented the clubs with the chance to end the season and receive money - this was a huge advantage to some clubs (Hamilton, Ross County, St Mirren, QoS, Alloa, Raith Rovers, Brechin,)  and for most of the others they got cash in the Bank. Why would they vote against this? Would they have accepted 14-10-10 -10 if they had been presented with this as the only option at the time?

i'm not aware of any clubs with realistic play-off promotion prospects who voted to accept the original proposal other than Dundee (who also voted against) and Ayr (whose Chairmen suggested that they had been blackmailed). 

I've heard Neil McCann, Chris Sutton, Stuart Cosgrave, Tam Cowan, Chick Young and the Chief Executives of Aberdeen and Hamilton comment on the extreme unfairness of Thistle being relegated - none of them have any bias.

The bigger picture is that none of the other clubs care because it doesn't affect them.

3 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

In the initial vote, the SPFL presented the clubs with the chance to end the season and receive money - this was a huge advantage to some clubs (Hamilton, Ross County, St Mirren, QoS, Alloa, Raith Rovers, Brechin,)  and for most of the others they got cash in the Bank. Why would they vote against this? Would they have accepted 14-10-10 -10 if they had been presented with this as the only option at the time?

i'm not aware of any clubs with realistic play-off promotion prospects who voted to accept the original proposal other than Dundee (who also voted against) and Ayr (whose Chairmen suggested that they had been blackmailed). 

Cowdenbeath and Elgin City certainly - Airdrie and Montrose (can’t remember)?

Edited by Cowden Cowboy

51 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Surely it doesn’t actually need any League One sides to have voted against?

Of much greater importance than working out who may or may not have voted a certain way is getting Jacqui Low out of the club immediately. She’s been a fucking disaster.

Absolutely 100%. Said as much 2 pages ago. She’s ultimately responsible for where we are, thanks to the Caldwell era. 

Cowdenbeath & Elgin were 27 & 25 points respectively behind Cove, 15 & 13 points behind Edinburgh City and were just ahead of Queens Park- that's hardly clubs with a realistic chance of going up - getting guaranteed money in the bank wqs a much better option. 

15 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Cowdenbeath & Elgin were 27 & 25 points respectively behind Cove, 15 & 13 points behind Edinburgh City and were just ahead of Queens Park- that's hardly clubs with a realistic chance of going up - getting guaranteed money in the bank wqs a much better option. 

What are you talking about - don’t you know how play offs work?  

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Surely it doesn’t actually need any League One sides to have voted against?

Of much greater importance than working out who may or may not have voted a certain way is getting Jacqui Low out of the club immediately. She’s been a fucking disaster.

I agree, she's been mostly awful, and I've often criticised her, but she can't be blamed for today's debacle, or the debacle throughout the SPFL, over the last 3 months. There's many negatives that can be said about the professional conduct of the club under Jacqui, but this isn't one of them in my mind. And also, I highly doubt she's going anywhere. 

Edited by JagsCG

13 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

What are you talking about - don’t you know how play offs work?  

So the Cowdenbeath & Elgin Boards sat down and thought - we have no chance of catching Cove, Edinburgh City are much better than us, Queens Park are just behind us and we might not make even make the play-offs but we will turn down immediate cash in the Bank and take the chance that we might fluke an unlikely promotion.

I suspect that the Boards of these Clubs took a pragmatic view and understood about a realistic chance of getting promoted even if you don't.

38 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

So the Cowdenbeath & Elgin Boards sat down and thought - we have no chance of catching Cove, Edinburgh City are much better than us, Queens Park are just behind us and we might not make even make the play-offs but we will turn down immediate cash in the Bank and take the chance that we might fluke an unlikely promotion.

I suspect that the Boards of these Clubs took a pragmatic view and understood about a realistic chance of getting promoted even if you don't.

What nonsense - Cove were always going to be champions with their big money backing.  Edinburgh City had a record of wld v Cowden and had drawn twice v Elgin.  QP had also beaten Edinburgh twice.  Neither Cowden, Elgin or QP thought Edinburgh are so much better than us we won’t win promotion.  Neither Cowden nor QP voted to get money in the bank and both could have waited to receive league fees at end of May as normal.  Thus there is hardly a shred of substance in this fantasy you are deluding yourself with - and that is the problem with so many preferring to rage, fantasise and imagine conspiracies when the truth is much more prosaic.   

9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Well that's shite for a start seeing as East Fife and Montrose basically have almost full squads signed up. Absolutely no way they're doing that then voting to mothball.

That may be the case, but I can't see every team being willing and/or able to play. Which throws another spanner in the works for those that are.  

10 hours ago, nofixedability said:

Clearly you don’t as that wasn’t what he said. He actually said he wanted clarity as to whether he had a budget for a league with Partick and Falkirk in it or a league with Stranraer and Edinburgh City in it. Some hard of thinking Partick and Falkirk fans then took their own understanding of this and made c*nts of themselves online.

though not as bad as the Forfar fan who made a sick joke about Colin Weir

14 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

My opinion is mothballed for a season. I believe that 6 of the 10 teams in our league want to mothball.

Where do you get this shite from?

14 hours ago, jaggyness said:

This is potentially a legal challenge. Obstruction of people working?

:lol:

12 hours ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Have to admit to not knowing the motivation of the  clubs voting against reconstruction.

But f**k em - hope they all go bust.

:lol:

10 hours ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Absolutely 100%. Said as much 2 pages ago. She’s ultimately responsible for where we are, thanks to the Caldwell era. 

Let's not stop there. McCall has had 21(?) Games and a window, and failed to get us off the bottom of the league. We hadn't won a game in 3 months. 

9 hours ago, JagsCG said:

I agree, she's been mostly awful, and I've often criticised her, but she can't be blamed for today's debacle, or the debacle throughout the SPFL, over the last 3 months. There's many negatives that can be said about the professional conduct of the club under Jacqui, but this isn't one of them in my mind. And also, I highly doubt she's going anywhere. 

Regardless of how great she's suddenly become at writing heart string pulling statements, her actual job in life, by the way. She and her Board were gullible enough to buy Caldwell's bullshit. She then allowed him to get rid of one of our greatest ever players, during his testimonial season. Times a great healer, but those two things alone demonstrate that she and many others should be nowhere near the Club. That should never be forgotten. Ever!

McCall has at least shown that he can do well at the level we’re going to. He’s not been good enough so far, but I think he has shown that he could be.

Jacqui Low has done nothing of the sort - every decision she’s made has been dreadful and every statement the club puts out under her is a complete shambles. She needs to go, along with Britton, and then we can worry about the rest.

Plus, if McCall goes then we get another Jacqui appointment...