The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

This is potentially a legal challenge. Obstruction of people working?

If the league is mothballed, as said here it’s an obstruction of people working, a restriction of trade. Therefore if that happens, (and that’s why we’ve asked for a date on when the league will restart), we will then look at Court Action etc. For 2 reasons I think that could happen, 1. There’d be no point spending money on 3 or 4 players, if we weren’t going to play, so the money could be spent on legal challenge. 2. Our case would be 10x stronger if there was a restriction of trade, put in there as well, you can’t relegate a team to a league they can’t play in. 

16 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Can someone enlighten me as to why any League 1 club would have voted against reconstruction? There would’ve been no real change to any team, prize money would still be the same based on overall ranking etc. The only thing they would lose is four home games with (relatively) big away crowds - but that can’t be it, surely? It’s about 80k max.

Why would they vote against - I’m struggling to see the self interest either way for them.

Maybe they didn’t vote because of self interest but because it was felt the best solution where difficult choices have to be made.  I also suspect that the threat of legal action (as also in previous Rangers situation) and as hyped up at the last minute by Les Deans isn’t conducive to getting folks onside?

22 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Can someone enlighten me as to why any League 1 club would have voted against reconstruction? There would’ve been no real change to any team, prize money would still be the same based on overall ranking etc. The only thing they would lose is four home games with (relatively) big away crowds - but that can’t be it, surely? It’s about 80k max.

Why would they vote against - I’m struggling to see the self interest either way for them.

To keep the Falkirk away support and to get the Thistle away support. That’s a massive reason to some of them (remember the Forfar Chairman on the radio).  As for the more bigger League 1 clubs, such as Airdrie, I’m not sure why they’d vote against it. 

If some League 1 and 2 clubs want to mothball 2020-21 that’s fine but they shouldn’t get a penny in SPFL advances and any prize money should go in its entirety to the clubs willing to play out a season.

If the league instead wants to merge that  pot of money with the Championship’s pot and to allow those not mothballing to play in it that would also be a fair solution.

What is not acceptable is for clubs to drive other clubs into the ground by preventing them from playing when they are able and willing to do so.

If theres 8 teams then that should be enough for the season to go ahead given that theres talk of the championship going ahead with 8 teams if arbroath and Alloa do decide to mothball as well

I’m curious. Has there been talk of Arbroath and Alloa mothballing for a season. Not heard anything along those lines.

I can’t see it myself. Didn’t Arbroath just re-sign O’Brien on a three year deal?

9 minutes ago, Public menace said:

I’m curious. Has there been talk of Arbroath and Alloa mothballing for a season. Not heard anything along those lines.

I can’t see it myself. Didn’t Arbroath just re-sign O’Brien on a three year deal?

Seems like propaganda - with the tactic now being to step that up

42 minutes ago, third lanark said:

If theres 8 teams then that should be enough for the season to go ahead given that theres talk of the championship going ahead with 8 teams if arbroath and Alloa do decide to mothball as well

We don’t actually know who the supposed 2 teams that don’t want to play in the Championship were. Everyone assumes the 2 part time teams but Arbroath I think have quite a number of players on the books, and Alloa have just signed a couple players on new deals. I’m actually more inclined to look at the guys who have released a ton of players such as Dunfermline, or Queen of the South. More likely they were the ones who wanted mothballing in that league. 

36 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

That’s a massive reason to some of them (remember the Forfar Chairman on the radio).  

Clearly you don’t as that wasn’t what he said. He actually said he wanted clarity as to whether he had a budget for a league with Partick and Falkirk in it or a league with Stranraer and Edinburgh City in it. Some hard of thinking Partick and Falkirk fans then took their own understanding of this and made c*nts of themselves online.

4 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

Clearly you don’t as that wasn’t what he said. He actually said he wanted clarity as to whether he had a budget for a league with Partick and Falkirk in it or a league with Stranraer and Edinburgh City in it. Some hard of thinking Partick and Falkirk fans then took their own understanding of this and made c*nts of themselves online.

No I remember absolutely fine. And you’ve just said exactly what I remember. He would have had a bigger budget, if Thistle and Falkirk were in the league, because there was a guarantee of more away fans than Stranraer and Edinburgh City. I see that as a pretty obvious reason for them and others to vote it down. You can disagree with that all you like, but it’s an opinion. 

Just now, JagsCG said:

No I remember absolutely fine. And you’ve just said exactly what I remember. He would have had a bigger budget, if Thistle and Falkirk were in the league, because there was a guarantee of more away fans than Stranraer and Edinburgh City. I see that as a pretty obvious reason for them and others to vote it down. You can disagree with that all you like, but it’s an opinion. 

And how did Forfar vote?

Just now, nofixedability said:

And how did Forfar vote?

I have no idea, I was giving an opinion as to why some of the League 1 clubs may vote it down. I don’t know what way specific clubs voted. But that’s irrelevant to the discussion, we know several League 1 clubs voted it down, the question was, what possible reason could they have for doing that, so that’s my opinion as to why. Not sure what you’re not grasping.

Thistle fans like Hearts and Rangers fans seem to see all this through their own prisms - suggest you need to take a more 3 dimensional approach and realise that it isn’t personal and arguably there might be some principled belief that this is the best way forward in a dreadful situation.  Now you might disagree but accusing others of acting through spite, self interest and stupidity just might not be wholly true 

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Thistle fans like Hearts and Rangers fans seem to see all this through their own prisms - suggest you need to take a more 3 dimensional approach and realise that it isn’t personal and arguably there might be some principled belief that this is the best way forward in a dreadful situation.  Now you might disagree but accusing others of acting through spite, self interest and stupidity just might not be wholly true 

Every single club votes on self-interest, including Thistle and Hearts. When any vote arises, every single club, looks at themselves before thinking about others. 
And, Every Single Fan, firstly sees things through their own club’s perspective, that is a very normal football fan thing to do, there’s no difference between any fans in that sense.

Neither of those things are exclusive to Thistle or any other club, let’s not pretend  every other fan and every club is holier than thou. When we all know that’s not the case. 

4 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Every single club votes on self-interest, including Thistle and Hearts. When any vote arises, every single club, looks at themselves before thinking about others. 
And, Every Single Fan, firstly sees things through their own club’s perspective, that is a very normal football fan thing to do, there’s no difference between any fans in that sense.

Neither of those things are exclusive to Thistle or any other club, let’s not pretend  every other fan and every club is holier than thou. When we all know that’s not the case. 

Not talking about voting, talking about your bias driving your views whereas you might get a better understanding by taking a more rounded view - enough anyway for me as that means there is no real dialogue.  Here is a simple question - ‘Is it fair that Cowdenbeath have lost their opportunity of promotion through the play offs?’

Edited by Cowden Cowboy