The Partick Thistle thread

5 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Don’t actually see any issue with this - biggest game of our season, it’s worth the players having a think about who they want in there with them fighting for survival and maybe having a wee reflection on how many of their teammates would choose them. May not have any major impact but the only embarrassing thing about it is that one of our players thought it would be a good laugh to leak it. Arsehole.

No issue with your manager asking his team to pick the starting 11.......... your manager! He should surely have a starting 11 in mind and tactics to work on this week for an away fixture against a team he should know pretty well by now, what a riddy!

Just when I thought JJ was a hopeless buffoon the bold Caldwell comes along and smashes it right oot the park.

Some lad!

EDIT - Still think you's will be safe lads!

Edited by M0rtonfc

12 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

No issue with your manager asking his team to pick the starting 11.......... your manager! He should surely have a starting 11 in mind and tactics to work on this week for an away fixture against a team he should know pretty well by now, what a riddy!

Just when I thought JJ was a hopeless buffoon the bold Caldwell comes along and smashes it right oot the park.

Some lad!

That's the thing though,  if the players' choices were secret  Caldwell can field any team he likes, and if they lose he can say it was the team selection made by the players. 

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

That's the thing though,  if the players' choices were secret  Caldwell can field any team he likes, and if they lose he can say it was the team selection made by the players. 

Caldwell is a bloody genius!

As a general tactic going into a relegation battle I dont have a massive issue with it. It's essentially the management team trying to figure out who the players trust and, more importantly, who they dont trust.

The timing of it, however, is just bizarre. Might have made more sense a month or so ago before the run-in.

Would guess (hope?) that neither Harkins nor Storey featured much on those lists. A man who can't run and a man who can only run. As far away from the starting XI as possible please.

1 minute ago, M0rtonfc said:

Caldwell is a bloody genius!

His press conferences and signing Harkins would dispute that but I would say in all seriousness that  imo the best bit  business done by any manager in this division in January (or whenever it was) was signing Scott McDonald. He's given them some hope. 

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

As a general tactic going into a relegation battle I dont have a massive issue with it. It's essentially the management team trying to figure out who the players trust and, more importantly, who they dont trust.

The timing of it, however, is just bizarre. Might have made more sense a month or so ago before the run-in.

Would guess (hope?) that neither Harkins nor Storey featured much on those lists. A man who can't run and a man who can only run. As far away from the starting XI as possible please.

Hardly a good basis for positive team spirit if there are suspicions that you weren't wanted by your teammates. 

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

Suppose the timing of it is the worst part, still incredible from Caldwell.

Harkins was excellent for us but we all had a feeling that there was no way he could repeat it again the following season, he can't run but thankfully for him he had Murdoch in the middle with him doing all the engine work, the big man just pinged baws aboot which worked fine for us!

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Hardly a good basis for positive team spirit if there are suspicions that you weren't wanted by your teammates. 

This. The only thing it might enlighten is who the players don't think are pulling their weight. Which only the management will see but there's certainly no advantage to the players like Caldwell's bumming it up to be.

Just picking the team and finding out who likes who for one game, though, does Caldwell not see them in training every day? Surely you'd have a feel for your team by now?

I play football for the most part with a massive range of ages from 16s to one that's 70+ and I don't care who is on my team. Sometimes though I'll make extra runs to give guys a short option who are bad passers or maybe run in behind for older boys if I see a mismatch in pace. If you can't adapt on the fly to 'anyone' (any professional footballer anyway) being in your team then why do you even get a wage?

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

His press conferences and signing Harkins would dispute that but I would say in all seriousness that  imo the best bit  business done by any manager in this division in January (or whenever it was) was signing Scott McDonald. He's given them some hope. 

Wrong. Somehow JJ managed to get Greg Kiltie in from Killie and he’s basically carried us to safety in the past few weeks. Without his goals we’d have been fucked. He’s probably in the top 3 players in the Championship, we’ve been very lucky to have him.