The Partick Thistle thread

Casually just sitting across the road from his front door with two eyeholes cut out of a newspaper again?

*** Foxy not stalking Fred.***

Update from Valerie's Facebook page ;)

Thistle have launched a players fund according to today's Evening Times.

Thoughts?

Makes us seem desperate in my opinion.  If people want to contribute, fair enough, but think my limit is giving them season ticket money each year. 

If it raises any money at all then I guess the club will deem it a success. I feel these types of funds work when starting from a point of crisis like happened at Hearts where the money raised from direct debits has been a huge success. Just "give us some extra cash for some players" doesn't really have the same impact.

Can't fault the club for trying to milk as much money out of the fans as they can but it essentially seems to be the Centenary Fund without the prizes. 

I think this type of thing is better when for a long term tangible purpose, for example a fund to build a safe standing terrace at the city end. If they wanted to raise £2m and had a five year plan, including some high profile large donations to get us started, then I think the fans would rally round. Personally I'd think twice about donating extra cash for another Jake Carroll, Nathan Eccleston, Ben Richards-Everton etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Thistle have launched a players fund according to today's Evening Times.

Thoughts?

Ian Maxwell announced that at the fans trust meeting last night, stressing that it's not a begging bowl but a means to an end - to let supporters contribute directly to the playing budget.

There were no details of how this is constructed or how it might affect the club's financial affairs - if at all.

Fans who are interested in the constitution of the new trust - and I suspect they are few - can ask to see it. There was some debate over that document being made available to the public and director Greig Brown got a little heated about that.

There are plans afoot for a survey of fans. Perhaps a little behind the ball there as a survey could have been set up at the very least for supporters renewing season tickets. Anyhoo.

I hope this works and breaks the mould of adversarial relationships between the people running the club and an organised fanbase. That Mr Brown raised 'splinter groups' and 'agendas' is not, I hope, indicative of board thinking. As he also pointed out, putting those behind can only be good for the club.

There were about two dozen folk there including the trust's panel of five.

I think the timing of this is pretty poor. David Beattie released a statement yesterday saying how good a position we were financially and has previously stated that Archie will be backed in the transfer market this summer, yet here they are, almost with a begging bowl asking for fans to contribute to signing players.

I would be more than happy to contribute to this, but I would quite like to see some incentive for doing so. Yes, there is the satisfaction of helping to enable Thistle to make a new signing, but Archie's record in the transfer market thus far has been hit and miss (for every Abdul Osman, there's been a Mark Kerr). By incentive, I'm meaning something like paying a direct debit of £X a month for a season, and then at the end of the season getting entered into a prize draw to win a signed shirt, or a free ST for the following season, or a trip on the team bus with the players to an away game, or something along those lines - the more you contribute, the better chance you have of winning the draw. Even if they did something like a Season Ticket Plus scheme where you pay for your season ticket and also sign up for a DD when you do so, contributing throughout the season, as well as the lump sum at the start with maybe a discount on the initial ST.

Those suggestions were just quickly thought of from the top of my head when I read that ET article. I think the club has missed an opportunity and made an arse of it, when there is potential for them to get a fair amount of money from this. There are fans willing to pledge money into the club above and beyond STs, as the Be A Jag thing last year proved, the club just needs to be more savvy in how to get fans to do it.

Think it's a good idea. If it manages to raise enough to, say, offer a player £1,200 a week instead of £1,000 or whatever then surely it's a success.

Personally I'd think twice about donating extra cash for another Jake Carroll, Nathan Eccleston, Ben Richards-Everton etc...

Doubt any of them were our top targets, could argue that a fund like this might help us avoid having to sign another John Baird  or Ecclestone.

I think the timing of this is pretty poor. David Beattie released a statement yesterday saying how good a position we were financially and has previously stated that Archie will be backed in the transfer market this summer, yet here they are, almost with a begging bowl asking for fans to contribute to signing players.

Not exactly a begging bowl. We're in a good position financially and debt free, this is just a way of helping us get better players in. If no-one puts any money into this then fine, we're not going to implode, it's just a bonus.

Yes, there is the satisfaction of helping to enable Thistle to make a new signing, but Archie's record in the transfer market thus far has been hit and miss (for every Abdul Osman, there's been a Mark Kerr).

Every club in this division makes shit signings and every club makes great signings. Without having the time or inclination to find out, I bet Archie's ratio of good:bad signings compares quite favourably to most managers in this league.

You just can't get every signing right.

Edited by Slacker

Every club in this division makes shit signings and every club makes great signings. Without having the time or inclination to find out, I bet Archie's ratio of good:bad signings compares quite favourably to most managers in this league.

You just can't get every signing right.

I understand that, but the point I was making was that its added pressure to get it right or face a potential WAT-fuelled backlash if the signing ends up being a Mukendi. 

I understand that, but the point I was making was that its added pressure to get it right or face a potential WAT-fuelled backlash if the signing ends up being a Mukendi. 

Mukendi didn't cost us anything in wages.