The Partick Thistle thread

Theres nothing good about scully re signing. Apart from hes a cheap back up and maybe archie thinks the money could be put to better use. Which i completely disagree with. Hes terrible and lost us the game on saturday that penalty hamilton got. What the f**k is even going through his head.

I still think Scully may end up being an ok enough keeper. He's just unfortunately been rushed into too a high a level at too young an age. More loans are required and if he's still shit in a few years then ta ta Ryan.

As far as Seaborne is concerned, I don't believe he was offered anything by the club. I wouldn't say I've ever been totally convinced by him and it appears others at Firhill felt the same way. For the amount that we are likely to have been paying him, I think we can do better.

I also think we could get better than Frans. Lovely big bloke who clearly enjoys being in Glasgow but a big clogger who is too susceptible to getting dragged out of position and getting caught on the turn. Frans and Seaborne were never a good partnership, and I can't really recall seeing him play with Lindsay in person but I'd suggest they were altogether too similar. If anything, he's a decent guy to have in the squad but I wouldn't have him as a starter.

From the chat on Saturday, Bannigan's likely destination is Barnsley although whether that is dependent on the success of their play-off bid, who knows. This is about Lawless' level so if he doesn't sign on again with us, I expect him to pitch up at a Motherwell or a St Johnstone.

I thought Wilson had a solid enough game on Saturday and Penrice looks like he could be very tidy with a bit of work; very comfortable, slotted in effortlessly and delivered some inviting crosses throughout. I still maintain that Wilson has something about him but I suspect he might have to realise that elsewhere - although if finance allows, I'd like to see him stay for one more year, get some game time on loan for six months then come back to push for the first team. I think Wilson in particular has been a victim of our small squad in the respect that he's needed a loan spell for the last two seasons but has either been injured or required for first team cover.

In terms of starters for next year, we're in as good a position as I can ever recall in my time supporting Thistle. If we can retain Miller, and bearing in mind that Erskine is already a done deal, I'd say that we're only three or four signings away from having a very tidy team for the coming season; replacements for Seaborne, Bannigan and Lawless plus a different option up front.

I'm also anticipating us getting our business completed a lot quicker than in previous years despite our need for new players not being as urgent this close season - players are back on 20th June for pre-season.

Worth noting that Wilson was the only defensive midfielder in the starting 11, with the wee Celtic lad and Edwards in front of him.

Inverting the triangle so to speak.

Of course both dropped back and helped at times, but an interesting tweak from Archie all the same.

I thought the Frans-Seaborne partnership was decent. Sad to see him go as I'd rather see him stay than Frans (although I'm still fine retaining him). At least Lindsay will now move over to the left side.

No inside Info or anything on this but I have a real feeling we will look at recently released Simon lappin... Left sided defensive midfielder to replace bannigan/Welsh.... and more importantly great delivery from a set piece.... Something that's been spoke about as a must find next season.. Any thoughts?

I think the only outfield players over 30 we've signed since Archie took over were Dowie and Mair as stop gaps in defence and Kerr, of which the least said the better. I wouldn't be surprised to see John Rankin rumoured as well being the same position as Bannigan but I think both would fall into too old & too slow to play the role Bannigan does. Lappin might actually still be chasing Amoo back after the second goal at Firhill vs Saints in February.

This time last season (the Monday after the last game, not exact date) we had the following signed up

Scully

Frans 

Seaborne

Booth

Lindsay

maybe Hendry, unsure.

Bannigan

Osman

Fraser

Elliott

Stevenson

McDaid

Doolan

Apart from in central defence we're definitely much stronger this year.

One of the gym guys i know is a big saints fan and describes Lappin as the type that has 1 good game in every 5 or so. Mostly living off of 1 good european performance.

If we're going into silly season then id offer Mulgrew a cheeky offer :P

Personally a big fan of Seaborne, solid player who liked to get stuck in and was very vocal at the back. Certainly not a world beater and had his share of bad games, but was part of the 4th best defence in the league. Pretty sure Archie said he's decided to move on, not that we haven't offered him anything. Been a good player for us and I hope he does well back down south.

Unrelated, but I heard the away kit next season is white.

No.

You gave that a lot of consideration...

After he posted his farewell letter to the dufc fans he got hundreds of thanks and people saying he was their best player and wished he wasn't leaving.

I'm pretty gutted that Seabourne looks to be leaving. Yes his distribution was awful at times, but when it came to basic, gritty defending - he was excellent. The absolute seethe he generated from opposition fans almost every week was testament to the job he was doing. An expert at getting away with being a dirty, cynical b*****d.

He's exactly the type of 'streetwise' player we've seemed to lack over the years.

Drainage too. Seem to remember an interview with Ian Maxwell where he said we wouldn't have the opportunity to resolve the issues with the pitch until the end of the season. I think there was something saying that the draining system under the pitch hasn't been properly cleared since undersoil heating went in in the 90's.

There's several problems. One is that the soil has become compacted around the USH pipes, which means water isn't absorbed as easily, so doesn't drain properly. But they're also planning, from what I can remember, to double the frequency of draining points.

I'm pretty gutted that Seabourne looks to be leaving. Yes his distribution was awful at times, but when it came to basic, gritty defending - he was excellent. The absolute seethe he generated from opposition fans almost every week was testament to the job he was doing. An expert at getting away with being a dirty, cynical b*****d.

He's exactly the type of 'streetwise' player we've seemed to lack over the years.

Absolutely. Numerous times this season we should have had penalties given against us because Seaborne had his arms around people, and while he has given away a few in his time, he got away with a whole lot more, and that'll be missed. A Frans/Lindsay partnership will have nowhere near that kind of cynical element to it that's possibly required at this level.

Sure, we've still got Cerny and Osman who are great at the dark arts, but we need one at CB as well I think.

No idea where the Rankin love-in has come from. Universally agreed that he was an absolute horrible b*****d, until this season in which Dundee Utd fans have been repeatedly describing him as a "nice guy". The guy is a terrible footballer.