The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Good signing for you lot in Robbie Crawford. Absolutely no idea how you’ll fit him into that team but fair play.

If you play a 3 man midfield of Bannigan, Docherty and Crawford you've got the best midfield in the league IMO

Presumably the 6 month contract is for Robbie to cover himself incase you don't get promoted??

Think with your squad a 4/3/3 would probably suit you best with Tiffoney/Rudden/Smith up front

Seems like a decent enough signing on paper, but yet again not sure where he fits. McCall seems completely devoted to playing 4-4-2, so I expect Crawford to just be another Kyle Turner who is continually played out of position.

With the signing of Crawford, could we see Shea Gordon leave the club? I think signing another winger was/is a bigger priority than signing a centre-mid in this window, so the Crawford deal wouldn't make as much sense if we weren't getting rid of a midfielder.*

Happy enough with it though, interesting to see where he fits into the team. 

*ETA: Unless McCall is just adding more numbers to the squad due to the amount of games coming up (but you'd imagine Crawford will want to be playing regularly). 

Edited by JagsCG

19 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, out of the three McCall talked about signing extensions, he’s the one I was least arsed about. He has undoubtedly improved this season to be fair to him so keep that up and we’ll be fine.

Unrelated, but his name doesn’t really fit into the tune of paparazzi and it mildly irritates me every time I hear that chant.

Maybe I’m giving our fans too much credit but I think this one is sung ironically. It used to be Jonny Tuffey’s song, and instead of fitting his name into a new song we’ve just re-hashed that one because it’s another keeper.

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Maybe I’m giving our fans too much credit but I think this one is sung ironically. It used to be Jonny Tuffey’s song, and instead of fitting his name into a new song we’ve just re-hashed that one because it’s another keeper.

Fair enough, I’m going to choose to believe that’s the case. 

I do remember some guy in front of me half cut at Easter road trying to sing that tune with Milan Ntriansky which worked quite well - a real shame he turned out to be fucking garbage. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

4 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

With the signing of Crawford, could we see Shea Gordon leave the club? I think signing another winger was/is a bigger priority than signing a centre-mid in this window, so the Crawford deal wouldn't make as much sense if we weren't getting rid of a midfielder. 

Happy enough with it though, interesting to see where he fits into the team. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gordon or Murray leave.

We haven't played in about 3 weeks so not ruling out a long term injury in training for someone and Crawford being a replacement... but I did say if we could improve the depth this window so we're not relying on Gordon /Murray /Maciver then that would be a success. 

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I would think he’ll be away back soon enough, but from what I recall we just announced him as being here “until January” so not sure what actual date his loan expires. He’s still listed on our team page so I assume he’s around for the weekend as an emergency back up option. 

I would hope we’re looking at that Euan Henderson boy who’s on loan at Alloa just now. Think he’s mostly a winger and has a very impressive record there. Plus we’re best pals with Hearts so shouldn’t be too hard to deal with. And we’re reportedly trying to get James Maxwell on a permanent deal from Rangers too, but so are a number of clubs.

Did Ewan Henderson not sign for Hibs recently?

44 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He did, but I’m on about a different Euan Henderson who is currently on loan at Alloa from Hearts. 

Article in EEN with him saying Hearts wanted him at a part time club so they could have him train with them and wanted him playing in Championship so hope were keeping tabs 

Don’t think we really need a CM. Turner, Docherty and Turner are all very good for this level. Maybe Gordon is being punted or a change of formation?
This is pretty much my thoughts. Given bannigan and doc are very much first choice in there, we already have Turner and at a real push Gordon and Murray who can play in there

1 hour ago, Reid said:

Don’t think we really need a CM. Turner, Docherty and Turner are all very good for this level. Maybe Gordon is being punted or a change of formation?

I completely forgot you had Turner too. 

McCall does like just signing good players for the sake of it, but this one seems bizarre as to how he is fitting into that side. Potentially in place of Bannigan or Docherty in certain games... 

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I completely forgot you had Turner too. 

McCall does like just signing good players for the sake of it, but this one seems bizarre as to how he is fitting into that side. Potentially in place of Bannigan or Docherty in certain games... 

This does seem like a luxury signing unless someone is on the way out that we’re not aware of yet. We’ve still not really got any wingers besides Scott Tiffoney, who primarily plays on the left, but he keeps signing central players.

Cammy Smith (AM) and Kyle Turner (CM) take turns playing on the right, and it looks like Crawford will join them in that rotation. McCall will always play 4-4-2, and will always play Docherty and Bannigan, which leaves a bunch of other good options out of position or on the bench.

1 minute ago, Nightmare said:

This does seem like a luxury signing unless someone is on the way out that we’re not aware of yet. We’ve still not really got any wingers besides Scott Tiffoney, who primarily plays on the left, but he keeps signing central players.

Cammy Smith (AM) and Kyle Turner (CM) take turns playing on the right, and it looks like Crawford will join them in that rotation. McCall will always play 4-4-2, and will always play Docherty and Bannigan, which leaves a bunch of other good options out of position or on the bench.

Yeah, and Smith is another who is largely wasted playing out wide. As I imagine Turner is too. It’s genuinely like he just signs people at times because he likes them, without having a greater plan in terms of how he fits them into the side. You basically have four central midfielders who should be starters at this level, and yet only play with two!

McCall did it a lot for us too, until we lost Shankland and we played more of a 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1 (at the beginning of the season he left) which really got the best out of the wide players. Before that it was the likes of Crawford our wide. 

Yeah, and Smith is another who is largely wasted playing out wide. As I imagine Turner is too. It’s genuinely like he just signs people at times because he likes them, without having a greater plan in terms of how he fits them into the side. You basically have four central midfielders who should be starters at this level, and yet only play with two!
McCall did it a lot for us too, until we lost Shankland and we played more of a 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1 (at the beginning of the season he left) which really got the best out of the wide players. Before that it was the likes of Crawford our wide. 

He likes a skilful, cleaver midfielder so signs them when he sees them but has no regard for where he might play them. Can definitely see him switching Tiffoney over to the right hand side and putting Crawford on the left.