The Partick Thistle thread

Rudden is a huge gamble for a club that can't score. Could easily get the Rudden of his first year at Thistle where absolutely nothing went right for him or he scores with his first touch and then doesn't stop.

For the pittance we'd get as a transfer fee with 6 months left we'd be as well keeping him, getting the minimal compensation we'd get for the 2.5 years he'll have been here by the summer (assuming he doesn't go down south) and take the gamble on getting promoted but I have zero faith in Gerry Britton to not accept the first offer we get.

15 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Thoughts, Thistle fans? Is Zak Rudden the man to save us from relegation?

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thoughts, Thistle fans? Is Zak Rudden the man to get us promoted?

Nah, Rudden is pish. Only suitable for lower league dross like us.

Now, Ross MacIver - there’s a player you’d want to sign.

18 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Nah, Rudden is pish. Only suitable for lower league dross like us.

Now, Ross MacIver - there’s a player you’d want to sign.

I wasn't even joking tbh, we'll be in the Championship next season.

Tough call re Rudden. 

You aren't likely to get much of a fee in January unless two or three are interested and desperate to get him in January. 

Is it better to get something now rather than nothing at the season's end or accept that we'll miss out on a fee at the end of the season and hope he helps us to promotion? He'd be hard to replace as we certainly don't have a replacement at the club at present. 

22 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Rudden is a huge gamble for a club that can't score. Could easily get the Rudden of his first year at Thistle where absolutely nothing went right for him or he scores with his first touch and then doesn't stop.

For the pittance we'd get as a transfer fee with 6 months left we'd be as well keeping him, getting the minimal compensation we'd get for the 2.5 years he'll have been here by the summer (assuming he doesn't go down south) and take the gamble on getting promoted but I have zero faith in Gerry Britton to not accept the first offer we get.

Agreed, would think relying on a 21 year old who is either sugar or shite would not be ideal for a team trying to dig their way out of a relegation battle. Would also be a dodgy move for Rudden if Saintees are as bad as their fans say they are, he could be back in this league within 6 months.

I'm sure Thistle will have a rough idea of what compensation we'll be due in the summer and will assess all bids received accordingly; either that or Gerry Britton will have written it down on a post-it next to his PIN number and get confused between the two, leading to us accepting a bid of under £10k.

4 minutes ago, jagfox OG said:

Dundee United have bid around £250,000 so the Johnnies probably want to get a bid of around £300,000 in sooner rather than later.

What about £500k and you also take Ali Crawford?

30 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Tough call re Rudden. 

You aren't likely to get much of a fee in January unless two or three are interested and desperate to get him in January. 

Is it better to get something now rather than nothing at the season's end or accept that we'll miss out on a fee at the end of the season and hope he helps us to promotion? He'd be hard to replace as we certainly don't have a replacement at the club at present. 

Should keep him. Interestingly (correct me if I'm wrong) but we won the Championship in 2013 while having some key players (Erskine, Paton) on pre-contracts for elsewhere, so it wouldn't necessarily always be a case of downed tools in that situation.

Rudden signing a PCA with a premiership club wouldn't surprise me, although I think he'd probably better suit another season in the championship before moving up (he's not yet at the level, the likes of Shankland or Nisbet were when they were championship strikers being linked with big premiership moves imo). I would however be surprised if St. Johnstone see him as the man to come in, in January and turn their attacking fortunes around - as others have said, they could quite easily get the Rudden we had for 18 months that looked devoid of confidence and couldn't finish any chances, not sure he's the type of player I'd fancy in a relegation battle. 

I hope we're able to extend his deal but I think that chance is probably gone, hopefully we can still get Akinola & Sneddon on new contracts, as there's likely to be interest in them too, particularly Akinola. 

32 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Should keep him. Interestingly (correct me if I'm wrong) but we won the Championship in 2013 while having some key players (Erskine, Paton) on pre-contracts for elsewhere, so it wouldn't necessarily always be a case of downed tools in that situation.

True, both Erskine & Paton had pre-contracts with Dundee United prior to us winning the league, of course Squiddy in particular was crucial to that promotion and definitely can never be said to have downed tools.

8 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

So not only is he going to a club which could potentially be relegated in 5 months back to this level, he's also going to be potentially 3rd or 4th choice?

No, we play with 2 strikers a lot, and we currently only have 1 up to top flight level and he can't score more than 3 times a season.

Might be one of those Livi type deals if St Johnstone see him more as a future seasons player.

Give us a few quid, sign him, loan him back and they get a more experienced stopgap or loanee.

Then again I may just be havering...

Edited by jagfox OG

1 hour ago, jagfox OG said:

Might be one of those Livi type deals if St Johnstone see him more as a future seasons player.

Give us a few quid, sign him, loan him back and they get a more experienced stopgap or loanee.

Then again I may just be havering...

That doesn't really help Rudden much (other than the probable bump in wages) if St J get relegated. I thought he might be off to Dundee Utd as that tends to be The Way These Things Work, but their signing of Watt would presumably scupper that.

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

I hope we're able to extend his deal but I think that chance is probably gone, hopefully we can still get Akinola & Sneddon on new contracts, as there's likely to be interest in them too, particularly Akinola. 

Akinola is clearly very good for this level but his main problem according to Orient fans was that he's a bit small for a CB in that league, which could be an issue with moving back down South or even up to the Premiership. It's easy to remember Balatoni and Muirhead being great when we won this league then going up a level and getting ragdolled by Calvin Zola. You saw it to an extent with Nouble vs Akinola a couple of weeks ago.

Sneddon I'm still actually not that fussed about, I think he's fine at this level now, which is higher than I thought of him before. I'd probably prefer him to stay but would much rather retain Rudden or Akinola if there was a choice out of the 3 of them.