The Partick Thistle thread

22 minutes ago, third lanark said:

We have to rest players because several are carrying injuries so we don’t have a choice. I’m hoping the fringe players Lyons, Reilly etc go out and have a point to prove against a very decent Montrose team

Be very surprised if Reilly is with us next season.

5 minutes ago, third lanark said:

McCall seems to rate him any time he speaks about him and had said a few months ago that he was likely extending his deal 

McCall says a lot of things and they don't all materialise. Would be interested in the story of where/when he said this a few months ago? Boys not good enough for League 1 let alone Championship.

Edited by The Firhill Frozen Pie

7 minutes ago, The Firhill Frozen Pie said:

McCall says a lot of things and they don't all materialise. Would be interested in the story of where/when he said this a few months ago? Boys not good enough for League 1 let alone Championship.

I always think that it is so difficult to tell how a young player will turn out. I remember Martin Hardies 1st game for us. He was like a cart horse. Other examples of players not really impressing initially are Lindsay and Nisbet and there have been others who have impressed initially but haven’t worked out, like Azeez. I am tempted to add Fitzpatrick to that list, but I am not sure how he has been at QOS

On 30/04/2021 at 20:55, Jollyjag said:

Looks like Ian McCall has got a lot to say in the next few weeks  Looks like he’s not going to hold back

Little late and havent seen any of the articles in question but did notice the free to view interview on the OS he referred to the club being a shambles when he took over, so maybe digs at Caldwell?

12 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Little late and havent seen any of the articles in question but did notice the free to view interview on the OS he referred to the club being a shambles when he took over, so maybe digs at Caldwell?

No think its all to do with the shambles last season i.e SPFL..SFA..hes always said there would be a time where he would speak his mind.

20 hours ago, The Firhill Frozen Pie said:

I wouldn't, just remember karma especially in football has a funny way of coming back to bite your arse. We play the best team we can minus the 5 players who have been struggling.

21 hours ago, banditjag said:

I would gladly see us lie down to stuff it to fuckirk but sometimes when key players are dropped the fringe grab their chance, then again sometimes not. Good luck in the play offs.

Of course I amn't wanting us to lie down. It was toung in cheek and at the wind up ffs. 

13 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

During the summer he was on sportsound most Tuesday evenings and when he was asked (numerous times) for his opinion on what happened to us, hearts, stanraer and Falkirk, brora and kielty, he was consistently un his stance, that it wasn't appropriate at that time. That he had his own personal thoughts and that at some point he would "have my say", but that was not the right time. No doubt in my mind he will be talking about what happened at the end if last season and how things were concluded.

Personally I'm interested to get his point of view being our manager but that's just genuine noseyness on my part. It's not going to change anything and although some of us will keep a chip on our shoulder, I suspect as many have moved on. McCall doesn't strike me as the type to bad mouth another colleague/fellow manager so I don't think it will be about Caldwell. Probably be about other clubs, the spfl, the sfa as bodies and not about individuals. Be interesting to hear/read, whatever it is he has to say.

42 minutes ago, banditjag said:

During the summer he was on sportsound most Tuesday evenings and when he was asked (numerous times) for his opinion on what happened to us, hearts, stanraer and Falkirk, brora and kielty, he was consistently un his stance, that it wasn't appropriate at that time. That he had his own personal thoughts and that at some point he would "have my say", but that was not the right time. No doubt in my mind he will be talking about what happened at the end if last season and how things were concluded.

Personally I'm interested to get his point of view being our manager but that's just genuine noseyness on my part. It's not going to change anything and although some of us will keep a chip on our shoulder, I suspect as many have moved on. McCall doesn't strike me as the type to bad mouth another colleague/fellow manager so I don't think it will be about Caldwell. Probably be about other clubs, the spfl, the sfa as bodies and not about individuals. Be interesting to hear/read, whatever it is he has to say.

McCall said in his Jagzone after match interview that he would be sitting down in the coming days with Jagzone interviewer to share his thoughts in what happened, so maybe aired later this week.

What areas do you think needs strengthening due to players moving on,would like to think Bell would  be kept for another season  and hope Tiffoney  would be here also but don’t think we could afford him  Penrice  has loads of ability but can be frustrating some games  hopefully Williamson  changes his mind and stays . It’s certainly been a roller coaster season here’s hoping we can carry our entertaining football onto next season.

I would be a lot harsher tbh, I'd obviously like Tiffoney to stay but would imagine his form will have alerted a lot of other clubs even in the Premiership bottom 6.

Foster I'd keep as he improved as the season went on and can cover both sides.

Everyone else could go and I wouldn't be fussed. The way I look at it is if we hadn't got promoted everyone would be wanting a clearout but now people want to keep some of these guys for a harder league?

Of the non-Tiffoney loan players:

Bell played well but this interview suggests he went P/T for a reason plus we're going up a level.  Geggan, Erskine similar re going P/T. MacIver clearly not any better than our own front 2 and Wright was fine, I'd rate him slightly above Sneddon.

Of our own players I still don't see it with Sneddon and I've been consistent with this over the last 3 years, makes some good saves but let too many easy ones in. Williamson can go to Falkirk if he wants, think L1 might be his level. Penrice looked like a pound shop Arjen Robben vs Falkirk playing on the right wing but not sure that's the game to judge him on in that role, he needs to make a position his own and if Livi are interested he'd be stupid not to go. He'd probably be the only one I could be swayed on staying.

Cardle I didn't want to keep last summer, he did OK but again he's another year older and we're going back up a level. Gordon still doesn't score enough goals for being invisible 90% of the game.

In terms of incoming, it'll depend on whether McCall wants to stick with the 4-4-2, if so I would expect a few wingers and strikers given Rudden's injury history and his and Graham's likelihood of picking up suspensions. Wouldn't tremendously surprise me if we sign Dobbie, there was talk of it in January.

47 minutes ago, Jollyjag said:

What areas do you think needs strengthening due to players moving on,would like to think Bell would  be kept for another season  and hope Tiffoney  would be here also but don’t think we could afford him  Penrice  has loads of ability but can be frustrating some games  hopefully Williamson  changes his mind and stays . It’s certainly been a roller coaster season here’s hoping we can carry our entertaining football onto next season.

Assuming we dont get Wright back, we need another keeper.

I doubt Bell will be back so another centre back will be a must. We'd also need to replace Penrice and Williamson if they leave.

Could do with extra option in midfield, maybe even get someone like Declan Glass back on loan.

2 wide players (hopefully 1 being Tiffoney).

Another striker so we can keep the same shape for when Rudden and Graham inevitably get injured/suspended.

We have a good start in squad building terms, but still think we need 6-8 players minimum.

33 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I would be a lot harsher tbh, I'd obviously like Tiffoney to stay but would imagine his form will have alerted a lot of other clubs even in the Premiership bottom 6.

Everyone else could go and I wouldn't be fussed. The way I look at it is if we hadn't got promoted everyone would be wanting a clearout but now people want to keep some of these guys for a harder league?

Bell played well but this interview suggests he went P/T for a reason plus we're going up a level.  Geggan, Erskine similar re going P/T. MacIver clearly not any better than our own front 2 and Wright was fine, I'd rate him slightly above Sneddon.

Of our own players I still don't see it with Sneddon and I've been consistent with this over the last 3 years, makes some good saves but let too many easy ones in. Williamson can go to Falkirk if he wants, think L1 might be his level. Penrice looked like a pound shop Arjen Robben vs Falkirk playing on the right wing but not sure that's the game to judge him on in that role, he needs to make a position his own and if Livi are interested he'd be stupid not to go. He'd probably be the only one I could be swayed on staying.

Cardle I didn't want to keep last summer, he did OK but again he's another year older and we're going back up a level. Gordon still doesn't score enough goals for being invisible 90% of the game.

In terms of incoming, it'll depend on whether McCall wants to stick with the 4-4-2, if so I would expect a few wingers and strikers given Rudden's injury history and his and Graham's likelihood of picking up suspensions. Wouldn't tremendously surprise me if we sign Dobbie, there was talk of it in January.

Pretty much agree with all of this.  Tiffoney is an obvious priority to re-sign and I would hope we'd make him a good offer but if a top-tier club wants him then that's probably that.  Foster still has enough in the tank for next season a league up but I doubt Cardle does, although he might stay on as an impact sub.

We definitely need a new 1st choice keeper.  Penrice is very meh but if he does hang around then I've not entirely lost hope in him.

Edited by VictorOnopko

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Yes your probably right it’s amazing how  quickly we forget when things turned around saw Tom Oware on some videos and he looked slightly embarrassed at being there there’s a player in there somewhere maybe he would benefit with another club what age is Dobbie  

Unfortunately, I think our central defensive partnership next season is likely to include Tam O’Ware. Admittedly, I think most of his Thistle career to date has been beside Sean McGinty so maybe (and I’m aware I’m massively clutching at straws here) with a competent player next to him, which Brownlie appears to be, he might be ok.

6 hours ago, Vinnyjag said:

McCall said in his Jagzone after match interview that he would be sitting down in the coming days with Jagzone interviewer to share his thoughts in what happened, so maybe aired later this week.

Saw that this morning vinnyjag. Look forward to hearing it. I'm hoping there will be some more detail other than his thoughts/opinion. Details of who drove the decision, who supported the decision. Not that it matters anymore, to me anyway, just nosey, would like to know who and why.

53 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Unfortunately, I think our central defensive partnership next season is likely to include Tam O’Ware. Admittedly, I think most of his Thistle career to date has been beside Sean McGinty so maybe (and I’m aware I’m massively clutching at straws here) with a competent player next to him, which Brownlie appears to be, he might be ok.

We cant afford to start next season with OWare as first choice. Not only is his injury record awful, he's generally been piss poor when he has managed to play.

The injuries obviously arent his fault, but sometimes things dont work out for a player at a certain club. 

I wouldn't be overly against him and Sena being back up next season if he gets himself fit. But if we get an opportunity to sign better, we should shake his hand, wish him well and allow him to sign for another club.

Just now, Jacky1990 said:

We cant afford to start next season with OWare as first choice. Not only is his injury record awful, he's generally been piss poor when he has managed to play.

The injuries obviously arent his fault, but sometimes things dont work out for a player at a certain club. 

I wouldn't be overly against him and Sena being back up next season if he gets himself fit. But if we get an opportunity to sign better, we should shake his hand, wish him well and allow him to sign for another club.

I agree, I just have a feeling that McCall will have him in his plans for next season. 

I would still be slightly interested to see him playing next to someone half decent - playing next to Sean McGinty can't be a fun time for anyone. 

I would try and move O'Ware on but realistically we've paid his wages to rehab for a year and we would then be giving him a payoff as well AND paying wages for a replacement so I think the chances of him being at Firhill next season are very high.