The Partick Thistle thread

16 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Steven Bell was not full time with us, so maybe a similar situation with Muirhead?

Fair point but we are in a FT league even though Arbroath have shown that PT players can be very effective in it. IIRC Bell had a well established business career outside football. 

I'd prefer us to recruit and develop young talent than sign older former favourites. But it's just my personal opinion and I'll fully support all our players next season.

19 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I'd prefer us to recruit and develop young talent than sign older former favourites. But it's just my personal opinion and I'll fully support all our players next season.

I think that’s a fair point and we do need to do that, but I suppose you’ve got to try and get the balance right with experienced players - “good types to have around the dressing room” etc. Even if you have a few old pros who don’t get much game time (ie Bell) it can still be very useful. 

Of all the players currently signed up for next season I think only 1 is over 30 (Graham). 

I loved Muirhead in 2012/13. Not sure how to feel about this 10 years on, but he is only 31 and has been a steady Championship player since he left us - so not the worst squad signing. I reckon he'll be a back-up central defender (behind Holt/Akinola/Brownlie) who can fill in at right-back whenever our still-to-be-signed first choice is unavailable. A sort of replacement for both McKenna and Bell.

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

If he's third / fourth choice centre half then fine, if he's first choice right back then no.

I wonder -especially if Tiffoney is away- if we'll go to a 352 as our main formation next season.

Given the number of CMs we have, I think this would be the logical step. Milne is more than comfortable as a LWB, we’d just need someone to complement that on the right. 

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Ian McCall has no imagination whatsoever :lol:  

Hard to argue with that. I am counting down the time until Robbie Crawford is signed up for the coming season.

23 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

If he's third / fourth choice centre half then fine, if he's first choice right back then no.

I wonder -especially if Tiffoney is away- if we'll go to a 352 as our main formation next season.

McCall used to love 3-5-2 when we had Simon Storey.

Just now, jagfox said:

Hard to argue with that. I am counting down the time until Robbie Crawford is signed up for the coming season.

Had Jordan Houston been out of contract, he’d have been a shoe on for you right wing back slot. 

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Had Jordan Houston been out of contract, he’d have been a shoe on for you right wing back slot. 

We've been linked with Paddy Reading too. Not sure of his contract status.

You lot better pray that McCall doesn't fall into the same trap as some of our jobber managers who regularly played Muirhead in midfield. Just awful.

I don't really rate him that highly as a CB, possibly biased because of all the times he's lost his head and given away stupid fouls or got himself sent off.

If he's a back up for you then that should be fine. If you have any intention of being at the top end then he really shouldn't be near the starting 11 most weeks. He's a lower championship/top of league 1 player at best imo.

Aye McCalls recruitment consists of ex players, players he’s seen play against his teams, OF youngsters and the odd player recommending by an auld pal.

Never anything out of the box with him really.

Just now, jagfox said:

We've been linked with Paddy Reading too. Not sure of his contract status.

Out of contract and been offered a new deal. Left back so would be surprised with you signing Milne. Has played right back for Scotland u21s, but never for us. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye McCalls recruitment consists of ex players, players he’s seen play against his teams, OF youngsters and the odd player recommending by an auld pal.

Never anything out of the box with him really.

...and yet we'd take Uncle Ian back in a heart beat.

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Out of contract and been offered a new deal. Left back so would be surprised with you signing Milne. Has played right back for Scotland u21s, but never for us. 

Having shipped out Foster, McKenna (who played right wing back) and Stephen Hendrie as well as Kevin Holt playing centre back rather than full back I can see us still being in the market for another full back especially one with the potential to play on either side of the pitch.