The Partick Thistle thread

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Aye McCall could conceivably just stick him at RB permanently. Especially if Milne on the other side is bombing forward all the time.

That's my fear after his McKenna folly last season. If Muirhead signs, it will be as a first choice starter. There is no need to sign utility or back-up players at the start of the window. I was very positive when Milne was announced but this signing would be depressing.

That's my fear after his McKenna folly last season. If Muirhead signs, it will be as a first choice starter. There is no need to sign utility or back-up players at the start of the window. I was very positive when Milne was announced but this signing would be depressing.

Tbf from what I’ve seen of McKenna, Muirhead is a clear upgrade at right back. However I’m glad he’s away as our defence needed a bit of an overhaul and this makes space for two new centre backs to come in.

10 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

But if he’s coming in to replace Steven Bell, then you won’t attract many players willing to do that role who’re better than Muirhead. The only worry would be if McCall fancies him as a starter. 

See my comment above. It's logical to prioritise the signing of starters.

McCall could see him as McKenna's, not Bell's, replacement. 

ETA - Muirhead will be on a bigger wage than Bell who IIRC was part-time.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Tbf from what I’ve seen of McKenna, Muirhead is a clear upgrade at right back. However I’m glad he’s away as our defence needed a bit of an overhaul and this makes space for two new centre backs to come in.

Typically, McCall played McKenna out of position. He was never a RB but McCall did not sign a back-up RB to cover for Foster.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

See my comment above. It's logical to prioritise the signing of starters.

McCall could see him as McKenna's, not Bell's, replacement. 

Fair point, but I suppose it's just a case of waiting and seeing what the rest of the window brings. Any of the 3 RBs previously mentioned in this thread would be improvements on McKenna and Muirhead. 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

We signed Ross MacIver in May last year and Steven Bell in early June, so the date of signing (which we haven’t even announced yet, and still might not) obviously doesn’t mean that someone is viewed as first choice. 

Two poor signings that did not work out well. We need real competition for places not obvious back-ups.

Our starting line-ups last season were predictable. At times, we had less than a handful of senior players too.

Opposition managers were able to expose our defensive weaknesses and blunt our attacking threats easily.

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Two poor signings that did not work out well. We need real competition for places not obvious back-ups.

Our starting line-ups last season were predictable. At times, we had less than a handful of senior players too.

Opposition managers were able to expose our defensive weaknesses and blunt our attacking threats easily.

None of that is really relevant to the point I’m making though, is it? 

45 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Another CB to play at RB (i.e. a straight replacement for McKenna) or to play on the right of a back three?

In any case, we need to attract better players than Muirhead to get promoted.

We got promoted with Muirhead the last time he was here.

Muirhead would be a pretty underwhelming signing but he is a fairly solid defender at this level. Would presume if we play a back 4 that Brownlie and Holt would be the first choice CB pairing. I think we may play a 3-5-2 which would make sense since we would have about a million CBs and CMs.

Hopefully we don’t plan to use Muirhead as a RB. Watching McKenna uncomfortably playing out there and being hung out to dry was painful.

Edited by Reid

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

None of that is really relevant to the point I’m making though, is it? 

I did not contradict you. It was relevant in that those early signings did not work out well.

Unless McCall's budget has been increased significantly, the objective is to improve the squad asap. We don't want to lose quality targets to other clubs.

Really? Can they afford to offer better wages than Ayr?
Several Ayr players have just signed new deals so it's unlikely that Muirhead was offer less money.

Apparently we have offered him less money and reduced playing time. Wouldn’t have been starting for us next season if he’d stayed.

37 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Really? Can they afford to offer better wages than Ayr?

Several Ayr players have just signed new deals so it's unlikely that Muirhead was offer less money.

He was only on a 3 day week at Ayr due to a job outside football in Dumfries which topped up his income , likely going to QOS with no travel would allow him to do more work outside football or to Partick where a player there currently stays minutes away from him would reduce his travel cost thus earning him more money 

8 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

He was only on a 3 day week at Ayr due to a job outside football in Dumfries which topped up his income , likely going to QOS with no travel would allow him to do more work outside football or to Partick where a player there currently stays minutes away from him would reduce his travel cost thus earning him more money 

I thought all Ayr players were full time Finlay? 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Apparently we have offered him less money and reduced playing time. Wouldn’t have been starting for us next season if he’d stayed.

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

Many thanks for those useful updates. I had thought all Ayr's senior players were FT. QOS would be a logical move and help Muirhead develop his new career in Dumfries. Going back to full-time football could be a bit of gamble but his fitness and performances should improve. 

5 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Many thanks for those useful updates. I had thought all Ayr's senior players were FT. QOS would be a logical move and help Muirhead develop his new career in Dumfries. Going back to full-time football could be a bit of gamble but his fitness and performances should improve. 

Steven Bell was not full time with us, so maybe a similar situation with Muirhead?

24 minutes ago, third lanark said:

I thought all Ayr players were full time Finlay? 

Not Muirhead , was classed as full time but only trained 3 days 

Edited by Finlay21