The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Pat Boon said:

McCall also got to take the blinkers off regarding Docherty. He is garbage. In my living memory, only Kenny Brannagin was a worse choice of captain.

You were talking shite last time you hit out with this, and you’re talking shite again now. 

49 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

You were talking shite last time you hit out with this, and you’re talking shite again now. 

Is that right big mouth? Not allowed an opinion? Get real mate. He is a disaster not only as a player but a captain? My God you must be an easily pleased happy clappy.

10 hours ago, Pat Boon said:

Is that right big mouth? Not allowed an opinion? Get real mate. He is a disaster not only as a player but a captain? My God you must be an easily pleased happy clappy.

You’re allowed your opinion, it’s just that your opinion is absolute nonsense.

Ross Docherty is fine for this level. He’s absolutely nowhere near being the biggest issue with our current squad. 

29 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Ross Docherty is fine for this level. He’s absolutely nowhere near being the biggest issue with our current squad. 

Seen similar fuckwhittery regarding Bannigan on other social media platforms. Both are fine at this level. We need a pace injection in attack and hoorfully Milne brings some to the defence. 

The first half of 2022 has been a write off. Poor management off the pitch and not that impressed with the choices taken on it. Certainly January transfer window seemed to set us back.

I would have accepted a playoffs place at the start if the season but there has to be a big improvement in performance or McCall could be on a shortly peg.

Hopefully any funds acquired for Tiffoney are well invested. Do we still get a development fee fee for Rudden even we did not offer him a new contract?

Good that the pitch seems to have been prioritised.

Highlighlight of the season? Really struggling. 6-1 at Accies which I watched in TV.

Killie 1-0 at RP was decent. 

Best game at Firhill for me was probably the QoS game at the start of the season.

I think Bannigan is past his best. He's fine as a squad player at this level but I wouldn't be building a team around him. Docherty is much of a muchness but offers more goal threat and is a better passer of the ball.

17 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Some amount of utter dross on the pitch for us at the end of that game. Looking forward to the clearout announcements over the next few days.

It’s not been the worst season; just a bit forgettable really. I’d guess most people would have been pretty happy with a 4th place finish before a ball was kicked, but it still feels a bit disappointing the way we’ve capitulated since the turn of the year. I think it’s a pretty wild shout to call for McCall’s head right now, but I do agree he’ll be going into next year with a decent level of pressure on.

Low out.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. 

I'd have bitten your hand off at the start of the season for finishing in the playoffs the year after being promoted. 

Clearly there are things to be improved upon but I don't think we should be calling for too many heads to roll at this point. 

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He is garbage mate.

On 05/05/2022 at 20:25, Bishop Briggs said:

We should have been nowhere near relegation. McCall had plenty of time and the budget to turn it around. We won League One because Falkirk imploded.

We qualified for the play-offs this season because, fortunately, Rovers were even worse than us after signing Goodwillie. It's too easy to the blame the Firhill pitch. as other teams have been able to beat us on it.

McCall chose to sign non-scoring strikers like Jakubiak and Alegria. They will be getting a decent wage. McAllister was brought in and has contributed very little. Firth was added to the squad too. The Directors backed him in January but our performances deteriorated.

McCall gave new deals to Niang and MacIver and then punted them out on loan. He has just released MacIver and told Niang to find a club. The reality is that his recruitment and judgement have been poor but not as bad as Caldwell's.

Funny how our winning the league and reaching the playoffs is down to other teams doing badly, but us being “relegated” in a season cut short is wholly down to McCall. We don’t know what went on with Rudden and trying to get replacement strikers, but again you are putting that squarely at a McCalls door. The way Low has acted with the share transfer, I am not sure I am so confident on him getting the board’s backing. Is McCall blameless? No.

We should have been nowhere near relegation. McCall had plenty of time and the budget to turn it around. We won League One because Falkirk imploded.
We qualified for the play-offs this season because, fortunately, Rovers were even worse than us after signing Goodwillie. It's too easy to the blame the Firhill pitch. as other teams have been able to beat us on it.
McCall chose to sign non-scoring strikers like Jakubiak and Alegria. They will be getting a decent wage. McAllister was brought in and has contributed very little. Firth was added to the squad too. The Directors backed him in January but our performances deteriorated.
McCall gave new deals to Niang and MacIver and then punted them out on loan. He has just released MacIver and told Niang to find a club. The reality is that his recruitment and judgement have been poor but not as bad as Caldwell's.

Why should you have been nowhere near relegation? You clearly had one of the worst squads in the league and COVID or not would’ve finished in the bottom two.

Why should you have been nowhere near relegation? You clearly had one of the worst squads in the league and COVID or not would’ve finished in the bottom two.
With our budget we should have been nowhere near relegation, is presumably what he means.

The season seemed to have a similar trait for McCall as it did when with us that season in the championship in 2018/19. 

Blitzed the first half of the season and was one of the best teams in the league, but took too much out of the players in the 1st half and also had an iffy transfer window in January which sees them regress over the 2nd half of the season and stumble across the line 

The Firhill clique are in town. Sheep.

Legitimately, what is it about Ross Docherty that bothers you so much?

For my part, I think he’s a decent passer of the ball, retains possession fairly well and has a pretty good goal scoring record - I’d wager he’s scored more than every single one of our other centre midfielders combined, and a fair few that were very good strikes. I think he could be stronger defensively, he could also do with breaking the lines a bit more to support attacks - about the only thing that Shea Gordon was pretty good at. As said by others, I’m also not convinced that him and Bannigan work as a pair, although that isn’t entirely his fault. All said, I think he’s a more than comfortable top half championship player - if we went up, I’m not entirely sure if he would be good enough there but we aren’t there yet anyway. 

Whats your critique of him? 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Legitimately, what is it about Ross Docherty that bothers you so much?

For my part, I think he’s a decent passer of the ball, retains possession fairly well and has a pretty good goal scoring record - I’d wager he’s scored more than every single one of our other centre midfielders combined, and a fair few that were very good strikes. I think he could be stronger defensively, he could also do with breaking the lines a bit more to support attacks - about the only thing that Shea Gordon was pretty good at. As said by others, I’m also not convinced that him and Bannigan work as a pair, although that isn’t entirely his fault. All said, I think he’s a more than comfortable top half championship player - if we went up, I’m not entirely sure if he would be good enough there but we aren’t there yet anyway. 

Whats your critique of him? 

That's where we differ. I think his passing is pretty poor. He has a habit of misplacing passes between our penalty area and halfway line, leading to panic in the defence. I don't think him and Bannigan work well at all and if i was to choose between them then Banzo would be my pick. Also as a captain i don't see him bringing anything to the team. There's no urgency about him , no grab the game by the scruff of the neck and fighting attitude. He's not a captain full stop. As for his goals then you're probably right but as captain he should be giving so much more. FWIW, i'm sick of McCall constantly signing guys that might have done it for him in the past but have been garbage for us.

FWIW, i'm sick of McCall constantly signing guys that might have done it for him in the past but have been garbage for us.

Is that really the case?

Ross Docherty - I think to claim in his 2 seasons at Thistle he’s been “garbage” for us is complete nonsense, even if you isolate it to just this season, for the most part he’s been average at worst, but fairly solid a lot of the time, whether him and Banzo in a midfield 2 work at this level is a different question. 
Steven Bell - Alongside Tiffoney was a very crucial and important signing last season, he was brilliant in L1, huge part in us getting promoted. Not played much this season but by all accounts has been very good around the dressing room, such is required from an ‘old pro’
Andy Geggan - According to McCall was crucial to the dressing room in the title run-in, didn’t really play much - “Garbage”? Still unfair to say that. 
Robbie Crawford - I think he’s the only one who you could perhaps justify by that term, although he hasn’t played much in his natural position in fairness to him.  (McCall’s fault not really his). 

Yeah. Really seems like McCall signing guys who “done it for him in the past but have been garbage for us” is a significant issue we must overcome in the new season. Also, does 4 guys in 2 seasons (1 of which being Geggan who came in solely to boost squad numbers due to us having a fixture overload) now constitute a “constant” trend of McCall’s?

Edited by JagsCG

7 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Is that really the case?

Ross Docherty - I think to claim in his 2 seasons at Thistle he’s been “garbage” for us is complete nonsense, even if you isolate it to just this season, for the most part he’s been average at worst, but fairly solid a lot of the time, whether him and Banzo in a midfield 2 work at this level is a different question. 
Steven Bell - Alongside Tiffoney was a very crucial and important signing last season, he was brilliant in L1, huge part in us getting promoted. Not played much this season but by all accounts has been very good around the dressing room, such is required from an ‘old pro’
Andy Geggan - According to McCall was crucial to the dressing room in the title run-in, didn’t really play much - “Garbage”? Still unfair to say that. 
Robbie Crawford - I think he’s the only one who you could perhaps justify by that term, although he hasn’t played much in his natural position in fairness to him.  (McCall’s fault not really his). 

Yeah. Really seems like McCall signing guys who “done it for him in the past but have been garbage for us” is a significant issue we must overcome in the new season. Also, does 4 guys in 2 seasons (1 of which being Geggan who came in solely to boost squad numbers due to us having a fixture overload) now constitute a “constant” trend of McCall’s?

Your opinion. I put my opinion. I have based Docherty on this season not last. As i've said before i am entitled to my opinion and based on what i've seen this season, he's been garbage. I might be in the minority on the Thistle clique here but you just need to listen in the stands and find others agree. End of subject for me.

On 06/05/2022 at 22:24, dundeeunited83 said:

43 mins in 😁

A real collection of morons there. Charlie Adam ridiculing the size of support at the ICT v Thistle play-off - clearly only thinks his big team has any relevance - and Alan Rough, a PTFC director, dropping hints about one of our key players leaving.