The Partick Thistle thread

6 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

They start looking for another club. Something appears on Twitter and Jags fans blame the club (J Low) for not announcing they were leaving.

I honestly don't know why you're making a fuss over this.

I think he dislikes McCall intensely and wants to have a go at him about anything he can

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

He could told them privately before a public statement at the end of our season.

You would imagine he did. It's Ian McCall, not P&O.

I can see a reason for keeping Hendrie. I think Gordon's goal record does him a lot of favours.

Edited by Smurph

14 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Was hoping Sena would be the defensive midfielder we need but obviously hasn't progressed as expected at Alloa.

The others weren't up to it at this level, was surprised both Gordon and Maciver were offered deals this season tbh. 

If you wanted him to develop as a player then sending him out to a club managed by Barry Ferguson probably wasn't a great idea. Sena did well at times and there is a player in there, but still prone to flying into challenges and lack of composure on the ball. He might yet improve on those points and I'd be happy enough to see him back at Alloa. 

MacIver missed quite a lot of good chances in his short time with us and needs to work on that but his link up play was good. He'd be worth a shot at our level too. 

I think it's been long decided who is and isn't staying by the manager, at least who he wants to stay. I think the one player there's some doubt over is Hendrie who may choose to go somewhere he's likely to be first choice/more money. I think of the out of contract players only Crawford is likely to be offered a contract apart from Hendrie as he's a very McCall type player plus he has a love of playing central midfielders out wide.

There’s plenty things you can have a go at the club, and even McCall for. But I don’t think announcing the release of 3 players who cannot play for us again this season and have finished their seasons at their loan clubs, is even close to being one of them. 

Holt is basically a centre half now, so even with Milne signed up I’d rather have someone else to provide cover at left back. Would be happy enough if that’s Hendrie - thought he was shite the first few times I watched him, but he’s gotten better and seems to be fine for this level. If he goes to Falkirk/QP, then good luck to him. 

Sadly the video when the players return to the pitch after ht there is very clear sectarian abuse directed at Foster. The culprit(s) are not visible in the footage but they have rightly been called out by the vast majority of jags fans.

36 minutes ago, killiekranky said:

There was a video at the start of the second half where some wee fannies were shouting stuff like orange barsteward and *** trying to get a reaction when he came back out.

Out of order if he was getting sectarian abuse at the end of the first half too.

Thing is about these idiots, and racists/bigots in general, imagine looking at Ricky fucking Foster and the only thing you can come up with is some bigoted/sectarian bollocks.

Beyond the nonsense of abusing one of your own players, the lack of imagination is damning in itself.

I like how Foster is making out as if he lost it only because of some disgusting sectarian remark and we're meant to just ignore his previous for attempting to leather his own teammate at St Johnstone or spending half his time on the pitch for us when we're losing flying into challenges in a complete rage.

He's an angry wee guy who hopefully fucks off once the playoffs are done.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

21 hours ago, third lanark said:

I think he dislikes McCall intensely and wants to have a go at him about anything he can

I don't dislike McCall intensely. I just think that our management team have, given their budget, under-performed since they were appointed after the Caldwell disaster. McCall's team failed to save us from relegation and they were fortunate that Falkirk fell apart last season. McCall admitted that he was close being sacked after the East Fife game. Steven Bell saved his job.

This season, we were lucky that Raith Rovers imploded after the Goodwillie fiasco to enable us to finish 4th. Even so, we finished 15 points behind Dick Campbell's part-timers. We had a great chance to finish second but our performances since January have been dire. It's up to McCall and the management to deliver tomorrow and then against Arbroath. 

Thistle's loyal and long suffering fans deserve much better than McCall's mediocrity and Low's mendacity. I just fervently hope that they get it - starting tomorrow evening.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

42 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I don't dislike McCall intensely. I just think that our management team have, given their budget, under-performed since they were appointed after the Caldwell disaster. McCall's team failed to save us from relegation and they were fortunate that Falkirk fell apart last season. McCall admitted that he was close being sacked after the East Fife game. Steven Bell saved his job.

This season, we were lucky that Raith Rovers imploded after the Goodwillie fiasco to enable us to finish 4th. Even so, we finished 15 points behind Dick Campbell's part-timers. We had a great chance to finish second but our performances since January have been dire. It's up to McCall and the management to deliver tomorrow and then against Arbroath. 

Thistle's loyal and long suffering fans deserve much better than McCall's mediocrity and Low's mendacity. I just fervently hope that they get it - starting tomorrow evening.

My big worry about potentially emptying McCall is who we might end up with.

Especially when things are looking dodgy off the park, at least McCall gives us a form of stability on the park, even if its mediocre at times, as you say.

If we sacked him and ended up with another Caldwell, added to the toxicity around the fan ownership stuff and Low in general, it could rip the arse right out the club for years to come.

3 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Is he any good ? 

Tbf, Hendrie has not had much game time until recently. He was McCall's 3rd choice LB behind Holt and Foster. His performances have been decent at this level. 

An upgrade on Tommy Robson would be a fair assessment. IIRC Robson was relegated from the Championship in successive seasons with Falkirk and then us.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

The relegation was a controversial demotion.

We won league one because we were the better team

qualifying for the playoffs is not mediocre - really as most of us would have been delighted with that a year ago.

we have been poor since January obviously some of that has not been helped by the pitch. Also we ended up with non scoring strikers like Jakubiak and Allegria because the directors didn’t back him in the January window.  Not a chance either of these guys were main targets

Additionally the departure of Rudden didn’t help either