The Partick Thistle thread

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You'll know better than me certainly. However, the opposition seems less vociferous than it was back then.

It possibly is, but that’s (IMO) because there seem to be actual moves towards fan ownership and getting her to f**k already underway. If she manages to hang about regardless or that hits the bricks, it’ll undoubtedly start up again.

I’d say she’s still, at the very least, pretty widely disliked by the Thistle fanbase. 

I'm pretty certain he's an actual winger, which is nice, but I'm also sure he has a Sean Welsh-esque injury record. I assume he's quite good, but no idea really. 

He mainly plays as a winger for us, but he can play as an attacking midfielder too.
I think he’ll be brilliant in the Championship actually. He was for us in his brief time there, which got him his move to Derby County as a 16 year old.
He was outstanding against Ayr just last week and scored.
He’s not got the physicality for the top flight, but with that extra yard you get in the second tier he will score and create goals regularly.

Was always fun games against Ayr United - the football before McCall left in the 4-1 win at the Indodrill was unreal but apart from that they were generally exciting end to end games.

Goodwin always had our number the year we both went up but then in the Championship, we seemed to be pretty comfortable in most of the games against Alloa. At least until McCall left anyway.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Goodwin always had our number the year we both went up but then in the Championship, we seemed to be pretty comfortable in most of the games against Alloa. At least until McCall left anyway.

I keep thinking every time on this thread your going to post an update on Maxwell given our 2 teams were rumoured to be signing him.  Have you heard anything more about him joining either of us on a permanent?

I keep thinking every time on this thread your going to post an update on Maxwell given our 2 teams were rumoured to be signing him.  Have you heard anything more about him joining either of us on a permanent?

Nope, it’s strangely gone very quiet on that front. Last thing I heard was that we have offered him terms and he was keen to stay but Rangers have also offered him a deal in order to be due a fee from us. I’d say it’s likely that he’ll sign for us but Mathie has decided it’s something he’ll deal with after the transfer window is over and we’ve finished our other business.

McCall seemed to play down the rumours that you lot were interested and Yogi said it was unlikely he’d sign for Dunfermline. I’m hoping he stays but at the same time I’ve no idea where we play him long term unless our first choice LB Paddy Reading leaves in the summer.

16 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Right so there wasn’t any actual damage done to the club. If you hadn’t won the league that would’ve been solely down to the shortcomings of your own management team and players.

There would have been a few TV games, I guess,plus an extra £350K Covid grant. Plus extra prize money in the championship.

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

There would have been a few TV games, I guess,plus an extra £350K Covid grant. Plus extra prize money in the championship.

TV games lose you money, not gain it. There is no payment for a televised league game. Just means you didnt get any income from streaming. 

19 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Petty vengeance would be blocking Rudden's move tomorrow. Letting him go for a modest fee would be poor business. It would also help a potential play-offs opponent.

Here a bit from McCall's recent BBC interview with Tom English

"Winning League 1 was a big moment in the healing process from two summers ago. Famously, the club informed the SPFL executive [Neil Doncaster and Murdoch MacLennan] that they were weren't welcome at the title flag day.

"The board backed me on that albeit I think I said it on Sportsound before I'd actually consulted the board, but they were happy. We felt it was the right thing to do. To be honest, I felt a bit uneasy that they [the SPFL hierarchy] felt it was still okay to come. They had a lack of foresight about what they'd actually done.

"I've said before that if we manage to do something this season then they can come in. I'll have nothing to do with them and I'm not sure many of my board will either, but we won't stop them. They'll be brave people to come into Firhill with 10,000 in it, though."

Is that petty vengeance too? IMHO we should not forget the damage that relegation did and who was responsible for it.

To answer the question, yes it was. Not sure the relevance to the debate but it was incredibly petty.

12 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I do think the big winners were Queen of the South who were on an equally nasty run and my tip for the drop. 

We egged it on in the aftermath but we were due some exciting football to end that season. Things finally seemed to have clicked with Banks, O'Hara, Connelly and another half season of Flannigan along with the usual stalwarts. We were only looking up in those heady days. Long time since we could dream about that.

Lee Connelly started ONE game for you in 19/20 and was criminally underutilised by Grant. 

There's absolutely no doubt we benefited hugely from the covid stoppage as it saved us a battle. Maybe we'd have gone down, maybe Thistle would gave. Maybe even Alloa would have, they were far from out of it although Thistle and us had worse form. I agree the season end would have been very interesting. The painted narrative that only covid and a league vote caused Thistle to be relegated is nonsense though. 

If we're getting Jakubiak I'd like to hope it was on a permanent deal rather than a loan to ease my horrible feeling of us ending up in the playoffs v Dundee, Graham being injured and us being forced to go with MacIver up front on his own because Jakubiak can't play against his parent club. Or we sign Erwin too.

Pleased with McAllister, if memory serves he was very good at this level with St Mirren as a youngster before his move to Derby.

If we come out of today having signed McAllister, Jakubiak and Erwin plus a bit of cash and only Rudden out I'd be pretty happy. Akinola signing a new deal and getting rid of Hastie as well would make this a pretty decent window.

As an aside, not sure why, but I've had a feeling for a while Erwin would end up at us at some point in his career. Maybe today is the day.