The Partick Thistle thread

Petty vengeance would be blocking Rudden's move tomorrow. Letting him go for a modest fee would be poor business. It would also help a potential play-offs opponent.
Here a bit from McCall's recent BBC interview with Tom English
"Winning League 1 was a big moment in the healing process from two summers ago. Famously, the club informed the SPFL executive [Neil Doncaster and Murdoch MacLennan] that they were weren't welcome at the title flag day.
"The board backed me on that albeit I think I said it on Sportsound before I'd actually consulted the board, but they were happy. We felt it was the right thing to do. To be honest, I felt a bit uneasy that they [the SPFL hierarchy] felt it was still okay to come. They had a lack of foresight about what they'd actually done.
"I've said before that if we manage to do something this season then they can come in. I'll have nothing to do with them and I'm not sure many of my board will either, but we won't stop them. They'll be brave people to come into Firhill with 10,000 in it, though."
Is that petty vengeance too? IMHO we should not forget the damage that relegation did and who was responsible for it.

What damage did it actually do? You came straight back up and you’ve got a strong team.

The whole thing of getting relegated to League 1 really isn’t the disaster (from a business POV) that people make it out to be. It’s only damaging if you find yourselves down there for more than a couple of seasons.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

What damage did it actually do? You came straight back up and you’ve got a strong team.

The whole thing of getting relegated to League 1 really isn’t the disaster (from a business POV) that people make it out to be. It’s only damaging if you find yourselves down there for more than a couple of seasons.

We were lucky that Falkirk imploded and blew a huge lead last season. McCall has said that he was close to being sacked after the East Fife game. He brought Steven Bell into steady the defence. We then went on a great run to win promotion. 

If we had not been relegated, we could have been even stronger financially.. That would given McCall a bit more cash to strengthen the squad. There have been some good signings but some disappointing ones too. It will be interesting to see who goes out and who comes in tomorrow. 

We were lucky that Falkirk imploded and blew a huge lead last season. McCall has said that he was close to being sacked after the East Fife game. He brought Steven Bell into steady the defence. We then went on a great run to win promotion. 
If we had not been relegated, we could have been even stronger financially.. That would given McCall a bit more cash to strengthen the squad. There have been some good signings but some disappointing ones too. It will be interesting to see who goes out and who comes in tomorrow. 

Right so there wasn’t any actual damage done to the club. If you hadn’t won the league that would’ve been solely down to the shortcomings of your own management team and players.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Right so there wasn’t any actual damage done to the club. If you hadn’t won the league that would’ve been solely down to the shortcomings of your own management team and players.

There was £350k of financial damage done by us being expelled to league one. That’s a significant amount of cash at our level. Championship clubs all got £500k last season League one got £150k.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

The lack of financial "damage" was due to the generosity of our fans. If we hadn't won the league, the lower playing budget and weaker squad would have been key factors.

The real effect (i.e. damage) of relegation was losing a season in the Championship to develop and improve the squad. That has had a knock-on impact on  the size and quality of our squad this season.

It's great to see that Ayr fans are still obsessed with us despite being on your third manager since McCall left.

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

100%.

There's no guarantee that Partick would have stayed up had that season been played out. I actually think the counter argument is stronger, they were on a negative spiral. 1 win in 9 or thereabouts.

It's the old one step backwards to take two steps forward. It's all a bit hypothetical but they are not in a bad way now. It also galvanised the fans and club.

Before they got unceremoniously dropped into League One there was supporter discontent and Low and Britton were getting rightly hounded. They are both still there and the fans seem on side. I suspect its more to do with the product on the pitch than any faith in either of them right enough.

Edited by Trogdor

There was £350k of financial damage done by us being expelled to league one. That’s a significant amount of cash at our level. Championship clubs all got £500k last season League one got £150k.

No that’s not true is it. It is a fact that you missed out on £350K but it’s not as if the club would’ve been expecting this money. They didn’t budget for it. It wasn’t stolen from you nor did you actually lose that money. So no, not really damaging at all is it. It’s a bit of a shame at most but it hasn’t affected the club at all besides it being used to add to the siege mentality that Partick fans have developed since being relegated.
The lack of financial "damage" was due to the generosity of our fans. If we hadn't won the league, the lower playing budget and weaker squad would have been key factors.
The real effect (i.e. damage) of relegation was losing a season in the Championship to develop and improve the squad. That has had a knock-on impact on  the size and quality of our squad this season.
It's great to see that Ayr fans are still obsessed with us despite being on your third manager since McCall left.

Okay so there wasn’t any financial damage done. Glad we’ve cleared that up. As for your point of developing the squad, you managed to build a good squad in the league below and carry a good amount of momentum into this season having already bedded several good players in. Had you stayed up you’d have had to build a new squad whilst playing in a harder league which would’ve added its own challenges.

Your final point has absolutely nothing to do with what we’re talking about but Partick fans seem to use it when it becomes clear that their whole argument about being relegated is revealed to be nonsense and they want to deflect from it.

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Sadly as we’re obviously having to make severe cuts we had to let go of some of the non playing staff.

I can't see how there's any solid argument that being in League One last year was financially beneficial to the club, even putting aside the £350k grant difference (and an extra couple of home games with the championship playing 27 games) you're playing against teams with bigger fan bases so streaming income would have been higher and the higher up the leagues you are the more marketable the club is. 

I get the argument that going down can give a team a chance to clear out and regroup but McCall had already started that process in January 2020 signing Graham, Rudden, Brownlie and agreeing PCA with Docherty, who were all mainstays of the 20/21 team. The 3 mentioned only had a chance to play a handful of games before the league was abandoned. 

Getting into if your auntie had baws territory but if we had stayed up then who's to say we couldn't have kicked on as a championship club, attracted better players in the summer of 2020 and sneaked a playoff place? 

So yeah we're not in a bad  position now but it's more likely than not we'd be in a better one as a whole if we hadn't gone down. 

Edited by Fuctifano

43 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

us being expelled to league one. 

Leaving aside everything else, this has to stop. We weren’t ‘expelled’, we were relegated for being the worst team in the division. The undoubted financial damage was caused by us assembling a mostly fucking rancid squad of players. 

22 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Back to something remotely interesting, what position does McAllister play and is he any good? From wiki he looks like another central attacking midfielder, which isn’t really what we need…

I'm pretty certain he's an actual winger, which is nice, but I'm also sure he has a Sean Welsh-esque injury record. I assume he's quite good, but no idea really. 

6 hours ago, Trogdor said:

100%.

There's no guarantee that Partick would have stayed up had that season been played out. I actually think the counter argument is stronger, they were on a negative spiral. 1 win in 9 or thereabouts.

It's the old one step backwards to take two steps forward. It's all a bit hypothetical but they are not in a bad way now. It also galvanised the fans and club.

Before they got unceremoniously dropped into League One there was supporter discontent and Low and Britton were getting rightly hounded. They are both still there and the fans seem on side. I suspect its more to do with the product on the pitch than any faith in either of them right enough.

I do think the big winners were Queen of the South who were on an equally nasty run and my tip for the drop. 

We egged it on in the aftermath but we were due some exciting football to end that season. Things finally seemed to have clicked with Banks, O'Hara, Connelly and another half season of Flannigan along with the usual stalwarts. We were only looking up in those heady days. Long time since we could dream about that.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Looks like McAllister is a right winger (going by Transfermarkt) and is out of contract in the summer, so not sure if this would be a loan or permanent deal. I’d be quite pleased with his signing, and he surely must be an upgrade on Hastie.

6 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I don’t think many are on side with Low. Maybe more so on Britton because of the goodwill he retains from his playing days, although personally I think he’s in way over his head.

Either way, I think if you polled our support you’d find that a majority still want Low out.

36 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I do think the big winners were Queen of the South who were on an equally nasty run and my tip for the drop. 

We egged it on in the aftermath but we were due some exciting football to end that season. Things finally seemed to have clicked with Banks, O'Hara, Connelly and another half season of Flannigan along with the usual stalwarts. We were only looking up in those heady days. Long time since we could dream about that.

Aye, although QoS still had to bank their complimentary three points from our visit to Dumfries.

It's all hypothetical, I actually preferred when Alloa were in this league you were always very kind to us after almost costing us the League 1 title in 2017/18.

10 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t think many are on side with Low. Maybe more so on Britton because of the goodwill he retains from his playing days, although personally I think he’s in way over his head.

Either way, I think if you polled our support you’d find that a majority still want Low out.

You'll know better than me certainly. However, the opposition seems less vociferous than it was back then.

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, although QoS still had to bank their complimentary three points from our visit to Dumfries.

It's all hypothetical, I actually preferred when Alloa were in this league you were always very kind to us after almost costing us the League 1 title in 2017/18.

You'll know better than me certainly. However, the opposition seems less vociferous than it was back then.

Was always fun games against Ayr United - the football before McCall left in the 4-1 win at the Indodrill was unreal but apart from that they were generally exciting end to end games.