The Partick Thistle thread

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surely it’s worth selling him and trying to play Cammy Smith in the number 10 role behind Graham? It’s where he’s most effective and will likely contribute a fair few goals.

Rudden is a good player at this level but there’s ways around him if you decided to sell.

Ian McCall when someone tries to explain that you’re allowed to play a player in the number 10 role:

GIF by Achievement Hunter

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Noticed Watt appears to be off to Tannadice today, which might mean Motherwell put in a bigger bid for Rudden. Hopefully we avoid the nightmare scenario where we sell him too late in the window to get any sort of replacement.

Tbh, Alexander's already been quite pointed in saying he doesn't plan to bring in a direct replacement for Watt. Which is fair enough, Van Veen's our first pick #9 and we've got Woolery, Shields, Roberts and Tierney as options for forward positions.

I'd say it'd be more likely that we'd just PCA Rudden (assuming he wants to sign etc) and pick him up in the summer for whatever nominal development fee is due.

I'd be surprised if we chucked money at Thistle for him.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, Alexander's already been quite pointed in saying he doesn't plan to bring in a direct replacement for Watt. Which is fair enough, Van Veen's our first pick #9 and we've got Woolery, Shields, Roberts and Tierney as options for forward positions.

I'd say it'd be more likely that we'd just PCA Rudden (assuming he wants to sign etc) and pick him up in the summer for whatever nominal development fee is due.

I'd be surprised if we chucked money at Thistle for him.

I think that’s the most like outcome, would not be surprised to see it happen over the next few days. Even if he did join us now he would be very much on the fringes of the first team and not a starter.

It might be good for Griff to move to Thistle, and specifically to be playing under McCall, a man who battles with and therefore understands addiction.

It could be what he needs. 

Obviously there's the consideration of his off-field baggage, but honestly if he had the intention of getting himself in some sort of order then I'd be happy to have him. I don't feel too optimistic about that tbf, but it could be worth a punt.

Just now, velo army said:

It might be good for Griff to move to Thistle, and specifically to be playing under McCall, a man who battles with and therefore understands addiction.

It could be what he needs. 

Obviously there's the consideration of his off-field baggage, but honestly if he had the intention of getting himself in some sort of order then I'd be happy to have him. I don't feel too optimistic about that tbf, but it could be worth a punt.

No thanks. He is endless trouble. Don't want our squad poisoned by the that repulsive human being.

I don't really see him being the sort of player who'd play out his career in the lower leagues and if he can't agree a deal with Dundee he might just pack it in.

Speaking of which, and I'm not for a millisecond suggesting we sign him, but I'm assuming Doolan has quietly retired? All I've heard of him of late was he's done some radio punditry. In contrast to Griffiths he was someone I could have seen going back to Talbot for a couple of years to finish his career.

Didn't realise he had an addiction, thought he was just an idiot who makes idiotic decisions and doesn't consider how they reflect on him or affect others.

12 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Speaking of which, and I'm not for a millisecond suggesting we sign him, but I'm assuming Doolan has quietly retired? All I've heard of him of late was he's done some radio punditry. In contrast to Griffiths he was someone I could have seen going back to Talbot for a couple of years to finish his career.

Seems to run his own football academy now, alongside the punditry as you say, so I think it’s a safe bet that he has indeed retired.

I’d be up for bringing him back out of pure nostalgia. Get him, Ross Forbes and Freddie Frans signed up and I’ll be happy regardless of the numerous thrashing’s we’d take. 

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Didn't realise he had an addiction, thought he was just an idiot who makes idiotic decisions and doesn't consider how they reflect on him or affect others.

I thought he was battling some sort of addiction during lockdown. The term "addiction" needs to be understood and used more broadly as a system of behaviours designed to soothe or numb (Gabor Mate is the man for this).

It's not to excuse the behaviour.any more than depression or the vague "mental health" labels do. I kinda fear for him. He's not a well guy and I can see him spiraling like Gazza (who looks utterly fucking awful these days) without football. 

He's absolutely had every chance, and he may be utterly toxic at Thistle if he came here, but I wonder if working under a guy who is older and has been in a position to not only work on his own shit, but to mentor others (as part of McCall's 12 step work) is precisely what he needs at the moment. 

As I said, I think it could be worth a punt.

When it comes to Griffiths a lot of people keep claiming that he’ll be going on a journey down the leagues, but I don’t see that - as one or two others have suggested I reckon he’d just give it up. Most pros who continue to play at lower levels for a variety of reasons do so because they still have hunger & desire to play the game, by all accounts Griffiths doesn’t look like he has that and he’s surely got enough money in the bank that he could retire. 

Still, don’t think even from a footballing point of view it would be a good signing for us, and doubt he’d be interesting in coming - if he can’t perform to a decent standard for his mate who’s constantly facing a barrage of supporter criticism at Dundee, why would he for us? 

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Speaking of which, and I'm not for a millisecond suggesting we sign him, but I'm assuming Doolan has quietly retired? All I've heard of him of late was he's done some radio punditry. 

It looks that way, never seen any official announcement but he’s pretty busy with his academy now I think. 
Hopefully we get to see Doolan playing in Red & Yellow again at Bannigan’s Testimonial Match whenever that’ll be. 

5 hours ago, velo army said:

I thought he was battling some sort of addiction during lockdown. 

There were rumours he had a gambling issue but I'm pretty sure it was just opposition fans spreading it.

He took time off to deal with mental health issues. Thats all we know.

On 15/01/2022 at 20:53, velo army said:

Any idea when the postponed games will get played? For some reason I fancy the trip to Inverness but can't see it listed on our fixtures on the main site.

Re-arranged dates should be confirmed tomorrow once the SPFL reviews the requests. 

6 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

We lost 2-1 with MacIver scoring a good goal. The stream was pretty good.

Our team was a mixture of fringe players, loanees and Thistle Weir youths.

Steven Bell did not make the squad so he must still be struggling with his fitness..

Pretty embarassing considering the team we fielded

2 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Pretty embarassing considering the team we fielded

To be embarrassed you have to actually give a f**k about the game.

Which I doubt we, QP or any of the other teams do. 

A run out for our youngsters and the guys who havent played much. No more, no less.