The Partick Thistle thread

We might not get as many Rangers loanees now that Ian's pal has gone doen to Aston Villa. On the other hand that could be an interesting source of future loan players.

There old manager certainly wasn't shy in giving youngsters a place on the bench anyway. I think there were 3 or 4 brothers in one of his match day squads. 

Can we put a case that second tier Scottish football can help the footballing education of some of their young players? 

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

What you on about?

If Hendrie leaves we will be in exactly the same boat we are now. Why would that suddenly mean all our other fullback options arent good enough and should be released?

Foster, Holt and McKenna are okay fullbacks at this level. Nothing spectacular, nothing too shite. We can definitely upgrade both fullback positions, IMO, but I dont think its that immediate a concern. 

Well you seem to be saying we need to bring in players that are better than our current starters. 

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

I think if he goes to another club then they'd need dispensation? He's already appeared for us and Rangers B in competitive action this season. Or is the Tidser rule not a thing anymore?

Not sure how far down the ladder the rule goes, so you might be right (obviously excluding the fact Rangers B are more an abomination than an actual club).

Does that mean if Mason McCready made an appearance for us between now and January, we couldnt loan him out to anyone other than Gala Fairydean?

37 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Well you seem to be saying we need to bring in players that are better than our current starters. 

Yes. Thats exactly what I'm saying. We arent going to be in the market for players that are actively worse than our current starters, are we? How else we meant to improve?

4 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

If it makes you feel any better, my own shout was as follows…

It would appear that I’m a fucking idiot. 

You're forgiven tbh, Chris Erskine looked every bit a junior player for months for us. It happens.

Delighted Rudden's turned out to be a good forward for us, easy to forget how unforgiving being up front can be at this level when games turn into scrapfests etc

Not sure how far down the ladder the rule goes, so you might be right (obviously excluding the fact Rangers B are more an abomination than an actual club).

Does that mean if Mason McCready made an appearance for us between now and January, we couldnt loan him out to anyone other than Gala Fairydean?

Yes. Thats exactly what I'm saying. We arent going to be in the market for players that are actively worse than our current starters, are we? How else we meant to improve?

Right we are back to where we started. You bin players that can’t get a start,  so if we bring in somebody that’s better than our current starter, they get binned. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Right we are back to where we started. You bin players that can’t get a start,  so if we bring in somebody that’s better than our current starter, they get binned. 

And, in theory, the team on the park improves. Yes.

Youve basically just described the transfer market. 

What am I missing here? If Hendrie leaves in January and we go to replace him, Id expect us to replace him with a player better than him who can go straight into challenging for a starting position. If that means Foster or whoever gets dropped and ends up leaving, but we end up with a better left back, Im struggling to find the problem here.

And, in theory, the team on the park improves. Yes.

Youve basically just described the transfer market. 

What am I missing here? If Hendrie leaves in January and we go to replace him, Id expect us to replace him with a player better than him who can go straight into challenging for a starting position. If that means Foster or whoever gets dropped and ends up leaving, but we end up with a better left back, Im struggling to find the problem here.

I know what you are trying to say - but just because Hendrie hasn’t managed to break into a defence that has lost 1 goal in 8 games doesn’t mean that he isn’t good enough if/when his opportunity arises. The bit you are struggling with is how solid the defence has been.

What a signing the big man has been. Sometimes think what may have been if we had got him in the Premiership rather than the likes of Sammon or Storey...or any time since we got relegated...

I think we tried to sign him when we went up but he went To Tannadice instead, and again a few years later, maybe when he left Hibs?

That said, and while I'm glad he's here, his goalscoring record between his spell at Raith and arriving at Firhill was nothing brilliant. 

Yeah, maybe not the most prolific top flight record. Then again considering we entered the play-off on a one goal difference he may well have done enough to keep us up that season.

48 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Seems they are happy with everything else. Surprised Neilson didn't mention Jamie Sneddon's great run was the barrier to Harry getting more games.

Happy enough to keep Stone as backup but there'll be plenty of similar placed keepers to take his place if required.

I’m certain Stone will get a chance at some point. Sneddon being in the best form of his career is obviously great for us, but I can understand why Hearts aren’t thrilled at his 1 league appearance. But Sneddon’s form won’t continue forever, and he’s seems to pick up an injury that keeps him out for a few games every season. 

If he goes back to Hearts, good luck to him and I’m sure we’ll be able to find someone else. Maybe just get Kieran Wright back.

On 25/11/2021 at 10:28, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m certain Stone will get a chance at some point. Sneddon being in the best form of his career is obviously great for us, but I can understand why Hearts aren’t thrilled at his 1 league appearance. But Sneddon’s form won’t continue forever, and he’s seems to pick up an injury that keeps him out for a few games every season. 

If he goes back to Hearts, good luck to him and I’m sure we’ll be able to find someone else. Maybe just get Kieran Wright back.

Great idea let's dowgrade to Kieran Shite

3 hours ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Great idea let's dowgrade to Kieran Shite

Harsh. 

If we bring in another goalkeeper, I think it's likely to be a more experienced No.2 rather than Wright, but he was a fine loan goalie for us. In the context of loans from the old firm clubs, the only one in recent years better than him is Lewis Mayo. 

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Harsh. 

If we bring in another goalkeeper, I think it's likely to be a more experienced No.2 rather than Wright, but he was a fine loan goalie for us. In the context of loans from the old firm clubs, the only one in recent years better than him is Lewis Mayo. 

Average at League 1 level and nothing more than that. He will be listed in a what happened to the sevco youths in 5 years time as he plies his trade at Brechin City,

Unless I’ve missed something saying he’s injured, I wonder if Mayo being missing could be an indication that he’s going back to Rangers in January. He’s nowhere near good enough for the first team but maybe they’ll loan him elsewhere. 

Archie said in video preview Foster, Mayo and Graham all had knocks but there was no team news in the text preview. 

I think as long as he's playing every week there won't be an issue. The fact they've loaned him out to this level 3 years running and not down south or to a bottom 6 Premiership club suggests to me he's not one expected to make it.