The Partick Thistle thread

6 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Its not just one game though. Thats all we've seen of him.

McCall and his coaching staff see him every day in training and have decided that, at this stage, playing a right back at left back is a better option.

Would be surprised if he's still at the club come end of January.

Isn’t that a wee bit simplistic ? Foster played left back well last season. Foster was going to play. So the decision became McKenna vs Hendrie. Doesn’t mean he is surplus to requirements. I guess time will tell.

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Isn’t that a wee bit simplistic ? Foster played left back well last season. Foster was going to play. So the decision became McKenna vs Hendrie. Doesn’t mean he is surplus to requirements. I guess time will tell.

Not as simplistic as saying we shouldnt patch Hendrie because "he's only played one game".

Its true, but he isnt playing for a reason. The coaching staff see him every day in training. And if hes not better than what we have we should be looking to cut our losses and bring in someone better.

Edited by Jacky1990

It’s even more simple than that for me - his deal only runs until January, and he’s done absolutely nothing to suggest he’s earned an extended one. I’m no talking about getting rid of him early, I’m just saying I don’t see him being kept on longer than currently planned. 

I wonder if McCall’s no defensive additions in January interview means he keeps him until the end of the season? We seem to have improved on the rake of soft tissue/ muscle injuries that have plagued the squad over the last few seasons. Just as well with the smallish squad we are running with. 

I don’t think we will add to the squad just for the sake of numbers but I would assume Sir Ian has one or two targets up his sleeve. 

Do we have any players that might be targeted by teams higher up the food chain in the January transfer window? My worry would be someone doing a cut price deal for Rudden but I guess the Rangers have first choice.

Given we'll be entitled to compensation for him if he doesn't extend his deal the club would likely gamble on keeping him and the compo being as much/more? Could only see rangers exercising their clause if they thought they could then sell him on for a profit

31 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Given we'll be entitled to compensation for him if he doesn't extend his deal the club would likely gamble on keeping him and the compo being as much/more? Could only see rangers exercising their clause if they thought they could then sell him on for a profit

Since he’s only been here a short time, compensation would likely be pretty small but I also can’t see us receiving an offer which would be worth our while losing him tbh. I think we’ll have him for the season, but we need to plan for him not being here next season unless we’re a Premiership club, and even then I think he might be off anyway.

Since he’s only been here a short time, compensation would likely be pretty small but I also can’t see us receiving an offer which would be worth our while losing him tbh. I think we’ll have him for the season, but we need to plan for him not being here next season unless we’re a Premiership club, and even then I think he might be off anyway.
Agree, sadly I can't see Zak being at firhill next season

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Agree, sadly I can't see Zak being at firhill next season

Aye, likewise. He’ll either be away to a bigger club in Scotland or head down south for a better payday.

Still mental how the first 12 months he was here, the only “highlight” of his Thistle career was getting sent off for swearing at the referee against Falkirk, and having to make a donation to the Thistle Trust as an apology.

Some of the posts on here from last season, including many from myself, will look absolutely ludicrous in hindsight. 

I think I'd rather keep Rudden and take whatever buttons come our way as compensation in the summer rather than punt him for marginally more buttons in January.

Obviously if we got a ludicrous offer we'd take it but why would a team do that rather than wait 5 months - plus his first jaunt to England didn't go very well albeit he was still a teenager at that point. 

I guess with Hendrie his lack of versatililty doesn't help either whereas pretty much all our other defenders can play 2 positions along the back line. He may not want to stay if he's not getting a game. 

Think we need another winger, whether that's instead of or in addition to Hastie I'm not sure. As jagfox said we're normally about 10 players down injured at this stage of the season so don't really need to make the squad much smaller. 

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the script with Rudden? He seemed to be an expensive flop for you in League One and now he's caught fire?

That is pretty much the script, although he did start his upturn in form after the resumption of league one following the covid shutdown. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's the script with Rudden? He seemed to be an expensive flop for you in League One and now he's caught fire?

The old adage of “he just needs a goal” certainly applied to him. Since he chested the ball into the net in a scrappy win over Clyde for his first goal his record is 14 in 26, which is good.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, likewise. He’ll either be away to a bigger club in Scotland or head down south for a better payday.

Still mental how the first 12 months he was here, the only “highlight” of his Thistle career was getting sent off for swearing at the referee against Falkirk, and having to make a donation to the Thistle Trust as an apology.

Some of the posts on here from last season, including many from myself, will look absolutely ludicrous in hindsight. 

I believe I said he’s “never a footballer”, which now looks like a hilariously bad shout.

That said, he’s technically a bit of an enigma. Sometimes he looks like he can’t trap the ball to save his life, but on other occasions his first touch is excellent. Seems to be a big time confidence player, and for the first few months at the club he just didn’t have any.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Is Hastie not only here till January as well? Haven't seen anything to suggest that will be extended either

Yeah that's true, I've had it in my head incorrectly it was a season long loan with a break clause in January.

There's not been much of a case so far for extending it. 

Edited by Fuctifano

23 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I believe I said he’s “never a footballer”, which now looks like a hilariously bad shout.

That said, he’s technically a bit of an enigma. Sometimes he looks like he can’t trap the ball to save his life, but on other occasions his first touch is excellent. Seems to be a big time confidence player, and for the first few months at the club he just didn’t have any.

If it makes you feel any better, my own shout was as follows…

On 07/04/2021 at 10:05, oneteaminglasgow said:

On Rudden, I think John Baird is the last striker I can remember us having that was so ineffectual. You’d forgive the lack of goals a bit if he did anything else, but he doesn’t really. Get him shifted to part time football as soon as possible.

It would appear that I’m a fucking idiot. 

4 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Not as simplistic as saying we shouldnt patch Hendrie because "he's only played one game".

Its true, but he isnt playing for a reason. The coaching staff see him every day in training. And if hes not better than what we have we should be looking to cut our losses and bring in someone better.

But then what we have won’t be good enough and they should be getting ditched too.

49 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

But then what we have won’t be good enough and they should be getting ditched too.

What you on about?

If Hendrie leaves we will be in exactly the same boat we are now. Why would that suddenly mean all our other fullback options arent good enough and should be released?

Foster, Holt and McKenna are okay fullbacks at this level. Nothing spectacular, nothing too shite. We can definitely upgrade both fullback positions, IMO, but I dont think its that immediate a concern. 

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah that's true, I've had it in my head incorrectly it was a season long loan with a break clause in January.

There's not been much of a case so far for extending it. 

He'll either end up stinking the place out at Falkirk for the second half of the season or be a revelation at Arbroath or Raith and fire them to a place-off place. 

Either way, cant see him hanging around Firhill come January.

He'll either end up stinking the place out at Falkirk for the second half of the season or be a revelation at Arbroath or Raith and fire them to a place-off place. 
Either way, cant see him hanging around Firhill come January.
I think if he goes to another club then they'd need dispensation? He's already appeared for us and Rangers B in competitive action this season. Or is the Tidser rule not a thing anymore?