The Partick Thistle thread

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

You're right about Killie not being able to play on the Sunday, but the Thistle statement does mention that you wanted the Friday rather than the Saturday to make sure the pitch is in better condition.

I did notice when we played Alloa a couple of weeks back that it's starting to look a bit dodgy, hopefully it doesn't get too bad though (for both teams' sakes).

Has there been any word on when lesser Hampden will be ready? Would really hope we’re not sharing the pitch next season too, given the state it’s looking just now. 

36 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Has there been any word on when lesser Hampden will be ready? Would really hope we’re not sharing the pitch next season too, given the state it’s looking just now. 

Your guess is as good as mine I'm afraid. Nobody seems to know, but I'd rather we didn't have to share beyond this season as well.

5 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

It isn’t to allow QP to play on Saturday - it’s because Killie have a game on Tuesday and Friday and for some reason can’t play on Sunday. Imagine having to play games 2 days apart - it’s never happened before !

Ah ok, guess work on my part because QP at home, probably still not ideal pitch wise. 

8 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

It isn’t to allow QP to play on Saturday - it’s because Killie have a game on Tuesday and Friday and for some reason can’t play on Sunday. Imagine having to play games 2 days apart - it’s never happened before !

It is to allow us to play before QP. So technically it is to allow QP to play on Saturday as they cannot pay on the Sunday.

Brand new 'Partickle' published today...

When it comes to penalties, we've had many more against us than for us, and here we chart the story all the way from the beginning in the 1890s and every decade since. For the goalkeeper, it's his big chance to win games, to be the hero, and to get a taste of the striker's glory. Read about the first-ever penalty in a Thistle game. Which save ensured a cup final win? Who's faced the most pens? We look at all the trials and tribulations and conclude with our ultimate three penalty prevention Kings...

Penalty Them, No! →

13459915.jpg.gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Also published today is our brand new list page, putting at your fingertips the definitive list of every penalty faced by Thistle, 1891 to date...

Every penalty (faced) →

every-pen-faced.png

Interesting.  Based on a quick browse and possibly wonky addition, the recent run of 13/13 scored against us (various keepers) was the worst since 20 in a row in the 60s. 

I always thought Scott Fox usually looked like he had very little chance of saving pens - and he did assemble a run of letting in 11 in a row - but he managed to save 3 in his career for us... out of 26 (not including a certain miserable cup final shootout, with one more save). His first save came against pen #15.  He was no Bobby Johnstone (or Kenny Arthur).

Edited by VictorOnopko

Good work as always. One thing I noticed when flicking through the records was there were a couple of saves I don't remember despite being at the game (Fox vs Killie, Cerny vs Hearts) and that's because the rebound was scored. Probably confirmation bias but I seem to remember this happening more often against us than for us. 

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

He was no Bobby Johnstone

Love it!

^ Fuctifano, yeah, the rebounds could do with an asterisk couldn't they? We've got the majority side-noted, still to check some so we can present to Archive standards. To-do list! Actually, the slow reaction of our defenders for rebounds is one of my biggest pet peeves.  😠

Edited by The Thistle Archive

On 04/11/2021 at 18:05, jagfox BLM said:

It is to allow us to play before QP. So technically it is to allow QP to play on Saturday as they cannot pay on the Sunday.

The question is why can’t Killie play Sunday/Tuesday or Wed/Fri ? It was ok for league 1 clubs to play Tue/Thu last season.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Ok it is partly that, but also down to scheduling, tv and an invisible rule that you can’t play 2 games in 3 days.

Teams shouldn't be asked to play 2 games in 3 days if it can be avoided.

As it can here by us playing on the Friday.

Its really not that big a deal.

12 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Teams shouldn't be asked to play 2 games in 3 days if it can be avoided.

As it can here by us playing on the Friday.

Its really not that big a deal.

I agree it is not a big deal, although it has been suggested that the Friday evening game will have a lower attendance than a Saturday 3pm.

in the past we used to play our midweek games on Monday’s(alsoOur league cup Q4 in 1971 was Monday/Wednesday and playing 1st/2nd Jan was a New year staple