The Partick Thistle thread

2 hours ago, dougie247 said:

whats with the Motherwell hate of Lawless?

Probably cause he is a gutless shitebag that vanishes when the going gets tough. But i am sure there will be those people, the same who clamour over any ex player wishing he comes back whilst getting the vaseline out to rub the head off it in excitement!

1 hour ago, Jollyjag said:

Could he do a job for us 

No thanks, the boy just doesn't have the heart. We seen that when the chips went down in his final season he threw the towel in. Granted he was not the only one one but not what we need. From what some say he was a disruptive influence in changing room as well, not sure if that is true but not worth the risk.

Edited to add, from looking at what Well fans say about him, the disruprive influnce seems to still ring true

Edited by The Firhill Frozen Pie

On 08/10/2021 at 00:30, DiegoDiego said:
On 07/10/2021 at 23:40, Nightmare said:
Davie McParland - over 400 appearances as a player and the manager for our League Cup win in ‘71.

Also the man the new training complex, which is totally happening, is named after.

Yeah totally happening haha

PENALTY THISTLE, YES!

Very pleased to be publishing out latest Partickle this evening.

Charting the drama of Thistle's penalty-kick awards, our story takes it all the way back to the start in 1891. Who was first? Did you know Thistle's first goal at Firhill was a penalty? Who are Thistle's penalty Kings? It's been an emotional rollercoaster ride!

By the way, it's Jered Stirling's birthday today. Co-incidence? I think not...

Penalty Thistle, Yes! →

In support of this piece, we have a brand-new list page, intended as a complete and definitive list of  Every penalty (taken) →

penalty-yes.jpg

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Still mind a Doolan penalty against either Caley or Ross County being one of the worst efforts I’ve ever seen.

And Sammon’s penalty in the playoff final too. Dreadful. 

The Doolan one was against Caley, fortunately it was in injury time when the game was already won. 

That was the only penalty he took between 2011 and 2018.

That list shows about another 30 penalties we had in that time tho even I'm not going to check how many he was on the field for, but he could easily have padded his stats with another few goals. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Still mind a Doolan penalty against either Caley or Ross County being one of the worst efforts I’ve ever seen.

And Sammon’s penalty in the playoff final too. Dreadful. 

I mind Doolan missed one away to Falkirk in his early days. Was worse than Diana Ross’ effort at USA ‘94.

On 13/10/2021 at 19:37, Fuctifano said:

Great work. Grant Murray definitely the weirdest one in a competitive game in my time. 

Also makes me think what Doolan's record could have been like if he'd not missed a couple and been taken off them. 

He was pilloried for his 2 misses because our expectation levels of him were so high. Fact is his conversion rate (71.4%, 5/7) is on historical par. We can look back and laugh at that Falkirk mind you, and I'm quite sure he'd be the first to do so.

On 14/10/2021 at 09:31, Skyline Drifter said:

Were penalties more difficult in the early days or something? Seems an incredibly low conversion rate for the first decade.

Yes! Any club historian dedicated / mental enough to research their entire penalty history will surely come to the same conclusion. Using the close-season 1902 changes as the divider the main stat's difference is clear to see:

1891-1902: success rate: 40.5% (15/37)
1902-date: success rate: 71.9% (528/734)

On 14/10/2021 at 09:39, Fuctifano said:

The accompanying article says between 1891 and 1902 the kick could be taken from a line 12 yards out and the keeper could advance up to 6 yards out, so probably. The current set up was introduced in 1902 

So it does. Hadn't clicked that. Have read it now, thanks.

As an aside moderately amused by the suggestion that Aaron Muirhead's missed penalty in the 118th minute of the 2013 Challenge Cup Final cost you a cup as you went on to lose on penalties. Thereby completely ignoring you were actually losing the game at the time and all it would have done was secured the penalty kick shoot out 2 mins earlier than you actually did. It's a fairly sizeable reach to extrapolate Thistle would have won without that miss. It very much ignores the fact the Thistle equaliser came AFTER the miss.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So it does. Hadn't clicked that. Have read it now, thanks.

As an aside moderately amused by the suggestion that Aaron Muirhead's missed penalty in the 118th minute of the 2013 Challenge Cup Final cost you a cup as you went on to lose on penalties. Thereby completely ignoring you were actually losing the game at the time and all it would have done was secured the penalty kick shoot out 2 mins earlier than you actually did. It's a fairly sizeable reach to extrapolate Thistle would have won without that miss. It very much ignores the fact the Thistle equaliser came AFTER the miss.

Away man, momentum was all set to carry us to a glorious 2-1; you were on dead on your knees and powerless to resist the Magyars in full flow.

The retro kits have been cracking, fair play. Hopefully a good omen for next Saturday as the first time I can remember us wearing a retro kit was when it was 100 years of Firhill in 2009 and we beat Dunfermline 2-0. 

There was stuff on before the game including a beat the goalie stall which I ran. Think I saw Ryan Scully save more shots in that hour than the rest of his Thistle career combined.