The Partick Thistle thread

Sprinters, running purely in a straight line, no ball control. The ghost of Miles Storey is never far from this thread.

I would love to see the 110m hurdles with folk being given a shove in the back just as they're about to take a hurdle though.

And no to Christie Elliott for me .

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fancy taking Christie Elliott back? One of the shitest RB's we've had. Makes me long for Cammy fucking Kerr man.

Was he that bad for you lot?

He was an exceptionally limited footballer who tried his best. Always seemed a nice bloke. Was ok to have in the squad as a utility man. 

I wouldn’t want him back though. 

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fancy taking Christie Elliott back? One of the shitest RB's we've had. Makes me long for Cammy fucking Kerr man.

His career came full circle during his time with us. Looked miles out of his depth when we first signed him, but he seemed to work very hard at improving, up to the point that for a couple of years was a very reliable FB who started most weeks in the top flight. But during our relegation season and the season after that he looked like a player bereft of confidence, and if he's still struggling for you then I'd guess he never really got it back.

I like Christie and he gave a lot to our club. Probably wouldn't take him back, though.

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

He was an exceptionally limited footballer who tried his best. Always seemed a nice bloke. Was ok to have in the squad as a utility man. 

I wouldn’t want him back though. 

Accurate assessment in my opinion.  It also annoyed me a bit that after 7 years he still couldn’t put in a decent cross - always seemed to go to the first person who was an opposition player.  

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think the guys doing the 110m hurdles are also trying to focus on bringing a football under control at the same time.

And trying to bring a ball under control doesn't require so much mental energy that it overrides his unconscious capacity for remaining upright.

Our player made a meal of it.

Awa with this obtuse pedantry.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Solid utility player, gave everything he had every game and genuinely seemed passionate towards the club. Wouldn’t take him back now though. 

6 hours ago, third lanark said:

Accurate assessment in my opinion.  It also annoyed me a bit that after 7 years he still couldn’t put in a decent cross - always seemed to go to the first person who was an opposition player.  

Not having that.

He put in an excellent cross v Sevco @ Firhill in 2017 which was dispatched brilliantly by Kris Doolan for one our best goals that season.

It may have been an exception, but let's appreciate a truly fine assist by Christie for what it was.

No, I wouldn't have him back.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Elliot started as a centre forward, but was pretty rubbish at that. How he morphed into a right back, I don’t know - maybe because he could get up and down the wing all day long. His delivery into the box wasn’t great either. He was always lost when we played Celtic. So, no don’t want him back.

I can't mind if it was due to an injury crisis or struggling to fit him in the side (maybe after ATS left, idk) but i think he played a fair few games at left back and all. From memory Christie did better than Lawless or Bannigan when they were been shunted there, can mind Lawless juuuuuuust scraping through a game at LB but by the skin of his teeth, looked very uncomfortable there.

saw him described in the thread iirc as someone who just made a career out of being able to run fast with the ball at his feet in a straight line which isn't far off, but a solid hand. Abiding memories are, as mentioned, a great assist against Rangers* and I'm sure he scored a really good volley against Celtic when they *flashbacks intensify* won the league at Firhill scudding us 5-1. Also a late late late double against Airdrie after we'd won the league. edit: might have that wrong come to think of it, was a 2-1 win, deffo two late goals. Feeling it might have been Erskine with the first, wasn't there, sue me.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

"No good at crossing"

"Useless against Celtic"

C'mon literally the only score draw we've managed against them since November 2002 was a result of an Elliott crossed assist.

Edited by Ad Lib

6 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

"No good at crossing"

"Useless against Celtic"

C'mon literally the only score draw we've managed against them since November 2002 was a result of an Elliott crossed assist.

He was bad at crossing, that doesn’t mean that every cross he put in was bad. I’d fancy most of the posters on here to be able to occasionally put a decent ball in, but you’re kind of hoping for more than that from a professional footballer.

Didn't Christie score the OG which finally prompted the Lowster to relieve Alan Archibald of his duties after our shambolic start to the new championship season after relegation, when our summer recruitment had left us with about 2 players on the bench?  Other than that, I only remember a sense of not really knowing what CE was for or what he was supposed to be doing in the years of watching him run around at Firhill.  Like everyone else is saying though, he seems like a nice chap.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Elliott was an underappreciated full back. This underappreciation largely stemmed from his history at the club. I believe that if we had signed him as a fullback at about the time he was moved to that position, he would be remembered as a steady, decent fullback who was good defensively, had pace and could get into good positions along the wing (although his final ball was at best, hit or miss). In that respect, I suspect he would be remembered in the same way as Booth: decent without ever being particularly memorable or exciting.

However, as he came to the club as a striker, and was pretty rubbish in that position, many always felt that his playing as a fullback was an afterthought and he was only ever just filling in rather than finding his true position. This always coloured many fans' opinion of the player throughout his Firhill tenure. There was probably some truth in him being a fill-in FB at the very beginning,  but then it became clear (to me at least) that he was very competent in that position, such that he would keep seeing off others signed to play right-back. His long term injury for a large chunk of our relegation season from the top flight was an important factor in how that season turned out, I always felt.

2 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

"No good at crossing"

"Useless against Celtic"

Ok maybe a bit harsh singling out Christie as useless against Celtic, as invariably every other player was too. However, in our time in the premiership we probably played Celtic 16 times plus we seemed to get them in at least one of the cup competitions every season. People on here have noted maybe 2 or 3 highlights in those near 20 games.(not sure how many games he played).