The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, JudgeMudge said:

Interesting to hear McCall saying he’s prefers 4-3 over 1-0. Not even hiding that we’ll be shipping plenty of goals. Should be exciting. 

Always thought McCall’s Ayr team were a bit “best form of defence is attack” and that seems like he’s attempting to replicate that here. Fair enough, it’s about time we see some exciting football regularly at Firhill again (bar the end of last season), I don’t mind conceding a couple so long as we create and score freely.  

11 hours ago, AMMjag said:

Is that 'O'Ware is away' or 'O' Ware is still here but we're trying to move him on'? 

Based on his injury record, his general performances when he has actually played, as well as probably being one of the higher earners in the division, I can't imagine him being the easiest player to shift. 

Hopefully Falkirk can do us a favour, they seem to love a dumpling centre half. 

Oware is one of the highest paid players in the league?

11 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

McCall said "Tam O'Ware is seeking pastures new. He has been told that he won't feature here". He's a proven Championship level centre-back so I'm sure that he'll get sorted out. That may happen within the next two or three days, next week".  Based on those comments, Morton, Ayr or the Doonhamers would be my guess.

My guess would be Ayr because he is a coach for Troon FC, would make sense.

Always thought McCall’s Ayr team were a bit “best form of defence is attack” and that seems like he’s attempting to replicate that here. Fair enough, it’s about time we see some exciting football regularly at Firhill again (bar the end of last season), I don’t mind conceding a couple so long as we create and score freely.  
He did drill into that Ayr team an "they score 3 we'll score 4" mentality. Is exciting to watch so will see how it pans out for him now with a bigger budget.

Smith is a great signing. He sits in that group of players who've never quite managed to cut it in the top flight but every time he's in the Championship he just looks too good for the division. Looking at the squads across the division he walks into every starting XI IMO.

As for O'Ware, I'll refrain from laughing until we know where he's ending up, having already failed to dodge the bullet marked 'Jack Hamilton' this summer.

Tam O’Ware might be one of the biggest myths to have played in this league. Built up a reputation because he had one season where he scored a few goals which massively papered over his inability to defend.

I’m quite glad we’re already sorted for centre halves.

Heard this morning that the loanee from Rangers will be Lewis Mayo. Expected over next couple of days. Would be very happy if this happened.

Talk of Jake Hastie as well. Don't think he did anything much at Motherwell?

Heard this morning that the loanee from Rangers will be Lewis Mayo. Expected over next couple of days. Would be very happy if this happened.

Hastie would at least provide width and pace, two things we are lacking

Before everyone thinks I'm a admirer of O'Ware as a footballer I am not, but I spoke to his father when he first signed & it was a massive step up for him, more than even he thought at the time. Tam himself thought he was very fit but soon realised with now doing full time training that he wasn't as first thought. In his father's words also "he will be a coach further down the line". His attitude was never in doubt but sadly a good attitude doesn't make you a good footballer.
Good luck to him wherever he goes next.

1 hour ago, colliedug said:

Before everyone thinks I'm a admirer of O'Ware as a footballer I am not, but I spoke to his father when he first signed & it was a massive step up for him, more than even he thought at the time. Tam himself thought he was very fit but soon realised with now doing full time training that he wasn't as first thought. In his father's words also "he will be a coach further down the line". His attitude was never in doubt but sadly a good attitude doesn't make you a good footballer.

I’m surprised at the massive step up comment as he was going from a full time footballer with championship Morton to full time Partick Thistle in the championship-I wouldn’t have homes thought there was a massive gulf in terms of training etc and he would have been playing the same teams whether it was for Morton or Partick Thistle.  While Morton also finished above us that season and every subsequent season since

Edited by third lanark

1 hour ago, Jag71 said:

Stephen Robinson – https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jake-hasties-rangers-issues-outlined-19448815

"Hastie hasn’t done enough, there’s no disguising that - it’s taken us a long long time to get him to where we thought we could, through lack of confidence, lack of fitness. He’s been pushing himself, he didn't come to us in good condition and he knows that himself, that’s not saying it was anything to do with Rangers, he left them in good condition but he didn't push himself and he has now. He gave us something we haven’t had here and gave us a little hope."

Latest update – https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jake-hasties-rangers-issues-outlined-19448815

"Rangers winger Jake Hastie has suffered a blow to his career at the club after being left to play with the B team during pre-season.... "he returned to the club this summer and joined in pre-season training with the B team and lined up for the Lowland League outfit in a pre-season friendly... "It’s a huge blow for Hastie who now looks unlikely to earn another chance in Steven Gerrard’s first team. "

Edited by Bishop Briggs

McCall might just see Hastie as a wee development project on a similar trajectory to where Shankland was when he went to Ayr.

Not saying he has that level of potential, but McCall could well be the right man at this stage of his career.

If we could get Mayo and Hastie we'd be a full back and maybe another CB away from the squad being complete IMO.

2 hours ago, colliedug said:

Did O'Ware not come into the squad that Caldwell repeatedly called out for not being fit enough? 

As others have said, he went from full time at Morton to full time with us. Our standards werent exactly sky high when he came in so doubt there would have been too much a step fitness wise.

I know he has had bad injuries, but O'Ware was, and is, a poor player whose reputation rocketed because he scored a few goals and got made captain. Might well make a good coach or manager in the future, but he is as rank rotten a Championship centre back as you'll find based on ability, not a lack of fitness.

Genuinely dont wish ill on the guy and hope he lands somewhere he can get back playing injury free. But i wouldnt be surprised if he is turning out for Darvel in the next couple years.

Full list of players we've had on loan from Rangers since 2000 who have played in a competitive game as per @The Thistle Archive :

Billy Gibson
Jukka Santala
Steven Campbell (15 games apparently...)
Steven Lennon
Kyle Hutton
Kal Naismith
Darren Cole
Cammy Palmer
Jamie Barjonas
Lewis Mayo
Rhys Breen
Kieran Wright

Not that a Celtic list would produce any more successes but deary me.

Santala is genuinely the biggest success there and that's only because he was so shite in defence we stuck him up front to cause chaos, which he did. Wright, Billy Gibson, and (I think) Hutton were OK. Mayo and Breen were both affected by the various covid shutdowns. Barjonas, Lennon, Naismith, and Cole were actively rotten. I genuinely have no memory of Steven Campbell but he was a forward we had on loan in the first half of the 2006-07 season.

Law of averages we're due a good one, I guess.

Edited by Fuctifano

1 minute ago, Fuctifano said:

Full list of players we've had on loan from Rangers since 2000 who have played in a competitive game as per @The Thistle Archive :

Billy Gibson
Jukka Santala
Steven Lennon
Kyle Hutton
Kal Naismith
Darren Cole
Cammy Palmer
Jamie Barjonas
Lewis Mayo
Rhys Breen
Kieran Wright

Santala is genuinely the biggest success there and that's only because he was so shite in defence we stuck him up front to cause chaos, which he did. Wright, Billy Gibson, and (I think) Hutton were OK. Mayo and Breen were both affected by the various covid shutdowns. Barjonas, Lennon, Naismith, and Cole were actively rotten.

I think it was @ThistleDoNicely who described Santala as "goalscoring oaf, Jukka Santala" which still tickles me as apposite. One of the worst players I've ever seen at Thistle. 

Darren Cole was a lazy waste of a jersey, but Billy Gibson was absolutely fine. Barjonas though was a baffling loan. Rubbish 

I actually thought O'Ware was good until his awful injury against Dundee Utd. He did look a bit porky tbf.

35 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Billy Gibson
Jukka Santala
Steven Lennon
Kyle Hutton
Kal Naismith
Darren Cole
Cammy Palmer
Jamie Barjonas
Lewis Mayo
Rhys Breen
Kieran Wright

Santala is genuinely the biggest success there and that's only because he was so shite in defence we stuck him up front to cause chaos, which he did. Wright, Billy Gibson, and (I think) Hutton were OK. Mayo and Breen were both affected by the various covid shutdowns. Barjonas, Lennon, Naismith, and Cole were actively rotten. I genuinely have no memory of Steven Campbell but he was a forward we had on loan in the first half of the 2006-07 season.

A who's who of players that thought/think theyve made the big time cause they play with Rangers*. 

And, as such, a who's who of exhibit As when it comes to why the colt/B team idea is fucking baffling.