The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Still absolutely boils my pi*s he was left out of the under 21 squad, round about 2016/17 was it? 

Yep. He made the SPFL team of the year but didn't make the u21s. Thought he wasn't far away from the senior squad at the time. 

Disappointed he's not kicked on as much as I'd expected since then. Stoke were too much of a basket case and I think he was made a bit of a scapegoat.

6 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Still absolutely boils my pi*s he was left out of the under 21 squad, round about 2016/17 was it? 

Same.

Cant remember if it related to Linsday or not, but I'm sure Scot Gemmill mentioned something about players progressing through the Scotland youth teams, basically indicating that players who had played at U17s and U19s for Scotland had a better chance of playing for the U21s almost irrespective of club form because....reasons.

I could absolutely have made this up in my head, though it does sound like the type of shite him and Malky were spouting at the time.

Edited by Jacky1990

I'll probably be against the grain here but I don't think this is a great move, he was undoubtedly very good in the winning run, but I've been banging the drum (in my head anyway) all close season about not getting blinded by a 7 game run against mainly part time teams playing 4 times a week, and a Falkirk team in the midst of one of the biggest implosions in recent memory when it came to re-signings for this season.

We're going up a level and he'll be another year older come the next run-in. Presume he'd have to go back full time with us which would be an odd step for someone at his stage of career.

I will be OK with it if we punt O'Ware and sign another CB, ideally a left sided one.

Edited by Fuctifano

McCall will know the effect that Bell will have in the dressing room and is someone he can rely on to help any younger players you have.

I’d be surprised if he played every game given you already have Brownlie, McKenna, O’Ware and even Holt who can play there but Bell was worth his weight in gold at times when we had him in this league.

A genuinely lovely guy as well as a solid player. I’ll be gutted if he plays against us next season.

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'll probably be against the grain here but I don't think this is a great move, he was undoubtedly very good in the winning run, but I've been banging the drum (in my head anyway) all close season about not getting blinded by a 7 game run against mainly part time teams playing 4 times a week, and a Falkirk team in the midst of one of the biggest implosions in recent memory when it came to re-signings for this season.

We're going up a level and he'll be another year older come the next run-in. Presume he'd have to go back full time with us which would be an odd step for someone at his stage of career.

I will be OK with it if we punt O'Ware and sign another CB, ideally a left sided one.

Partly agree with this, Bell was brilliant for us last season however not sure he can be relied on to be a first choice this season if we want to be challenging at the top. That said, from an off the pitch as well as on it, point of view it might actually make a lot of sense and I'll trust McCall's instincts.  As a squad player its not a bad move. Not sure what his job was when he was part-time but isn't it possible he could just remain part-time with us? (He did for the time he was at Firhill last season). 

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Agree 100% here.

Pretty happy with everyone who has stayed on bar Shea Gordon, but hes likely to be 4th choice CM at best so I can live with it.

Bell might be more important on the training ground and in the changing room. Would be worried if he was a regular starter but surely a good guy for like of Sena to learn off.

Hes had a mare with injury with us, but I wouldnt be surprised to see OWare mutally consented once teams are back training. 

Just now, JagsCG said:

Partly agree with this, Bell was brilliant for us last season however not sure he can be relied on to be a first choice this season if we want to be challenging at the top. That said, from an off the pitch as well as on it, point of view it might actually make a lot of sense and I'll trust McCall's instincts.  As a squad player its not a bad move. Not sure what his job was when he was part-time but isn't it possible he could just remain part-time with us? (He did for the time he was at Firhill last season). 

He will not give up his day job , in a really well paid job which he loves and has been there a fair number of years , I believe he will be part time with you , at Ayr he trained full time and then went to other job in the afternoons 

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

He will not give up his day job , in a really well paid job which he loves and has been there a fair number of years , I believe he will be part time with you , at Ayr he trained full time and then went to other job in the afternoons 

Cheers. Thought he'd probably be able to remain in his job outside football, would make sense. 

46 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I agree, don't think this is a good move unless his wages are dirt cheap.

15 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

14 hours ago, partick_twinny said:

Yep. He made the SPFL team of the year but didn't make the u21s. Thought he wasn't far away from the senior squad at the time. 

Disappointed he's not kicked on as much as I'd expected since then. Stoke were too much of a basket case and I think he was made a bit of a scapegoat.

9 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Same.

Cant remember if it related to Linsday or not, but I'm sure Scot Gemmill mentioned something about players progressing through the Scotland youth teams, basically indicating that players who had played at U17s and U19s for Scotland had a better chance of playing for the U21s almost irrespective of club form because....reasons.

I could absolutely have made this up in my head, though it does sound like the type of shite him and Malky were spouting at the time.

Liam Lindsay was considered for the qualifiers in Sept/Oct 2016(the club had to submit forms stating his medical availability etc) but never made the final cut when the squads were announced. In the early months of the 2016/17 season, Thistle were poor and were near the bottom of the league(I think after our opening day win, we didn’t win a league game again until October), so maybe it wasn’t surprising he wasn’t picked after a developing  2015/16 with Thistle. When the qualifiers ended in Oct 2016, Scotland didn’t qualify for the under 21 Euros to take place in the summer of 2017 - at this point Liam Lindsay became ineligible to play competitive games for the Scotland under 21s as he was too old. Liam was obviously a standout for Thistle in the first half of 2017 but I can understand why he wasn’t picked when the focus was on the next campaign when Liam was too old and he wasn’t close to being ready for the senior men’s national team.