The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

It shouldn’t be as bad as the rugby, and a decent pitch should be able to manage a game per week on average. My only concern would be where we’re both playing at home on the same weekend - if we bump QP to Friday night they’ll get the “good” pitch and we would play on it the following day which wouldn’t be ideal. Prefer if we push them to the Sunday.

Within the agreement, where both clubs are scheduled to play a home match on the same weekend or midweek, Partick Thistle will reserve the right to play first, subject to broadcast arrangements.

54 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Slightly concerned we might be in for one of the keepers freed by Dundee. There's not a great amount of free agent ones out there. 

Jack Hamilton has played for Scotland U15s to U21s levels and has been in senior squad too. What's happened to him at Dundee? Has he regressed?

Transfermkt says that Kieran Wright is out of contract. Rangers have McCrorie and a few other young keepers. Could we get him permanently on a similar deal to Rudden's?

As others have said, Celtic could make Doohan available again. He played for McCall at Ayr but Celtic could send him to another Premiership club.

Either would be fine but we must trust McCall to make the right choices.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

19 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Not being funny, but is there any team in the country bar Rangers* got as much of a head start in terms of next season's squad?

Big fan of getting this type of thing done so quickly.

The squads, what, 3 or 4 players away? Keeper, right back, right mid and maybe another centre back? A 4th choice striker if we are being greedy?

Happy days.

In his interview, McCall said that he wants a squad of 19 plus the youngsters. He thinks that Lyon could break into first team.

Gordon, Niang and, possibly, Owens can cover right midfield.

2 keepers, a right back, a centre back (Bell?) and a striker would complete the senior squad of 19.

If O'Ware is still injured/unfit or leaves, another centre-back will be required.

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I don’t see it happening, but if we sign Jack Hamilton I’ll be calling for McCall’s resignation. He’s an absolutely dreadful goalkeeper, and always has been.

My money would be on Doohan on loan, or someone from England. 

I haven't seen much of Hamilton but there must be better options available.

It's always a risk to bring in players that the management team don't know well. Archie and Caldwell signed several duds from down south.

McCall knows Doohan and Wright who would do a good job for us.

11 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

In his interview, McCall said that he wants a squad of 19 plus the youngsters. He thinks that Lyon could break into first team.

Gordon, Niang and, possibly, Owens can cover right midfield.

2 keepers, a right back, a centre back (Bell?) and a striker would complete the senior squad of 19.

If O'Ware is still injured/unfit or leaves, another centre-back will be required.

My issue would be who starts at right mid. I think Murray is fine as a squad player but not sure he should be a regular automatic starter.

2 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

My issue would be who starts at right mid. I think Murray is fine as a squad player but not sure he should be a regular automatic starter.

If we stick with 4-4-2 it could be Turner playing as a RM who regularly drifts inside.

I don’t see McCall dropping Bannigan or Docherty, so it’ll be interesting to see how he tries to accommodate all three.

9 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Atm, the starting line-up would be

AN Keeper, Foster, McKenna/new CB, Brownlie, Holt, Docherty, Bannigan, Turner, Tiffoney, Graham and Rudden.

Subs - AN Keeper/McCready, O'Ware, Niang, Gordon, Owens, Lyon, Murray, MacIver

Edited by Bishop Briggs

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If we stick with 4-4-2 it could be Turner playing as a RM who regularly drifts inside.

I don’t see McCall dropping Bannigan or Docherty, so it’ll be interesting to see how he tries to accommodate all three.

4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

AN Keeper, Foster, McKenna/new CB, Brownlie, Holt, Docherty, Bannigan, Turner, Tiffoney, Graham and Rudden.

Agree with both of the above.

I cant see Docherty, Bannigan or Turner not being starters, so will be interesting to see how we line up.

I'd be reluctant to have a player on the right drifting in as Foster doesnt have the legs or attacking threat to play the wing himself.

For me, assuming we are going 4-4-2, we either need someone to play that right mid role and drop one of Bannigan/Docherty/Turner depending on the game, or an attacking right back who can basically play on the right himself. We could obviously go 4-2-3-1 and drop Graham or Rudden, but again we would need a right mid for that.

The great thing about where we are now is that it is the beginning of June and I'm nit picking about 3 or 4 positions and possible changes in shape. Most teams havent even began their complete overhauls yet. Squad building wise we are in a very good position compared to normal.

Is that a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 - with Turner ahead of Bannigan and Docherty, with Tiffoney and Rudden both having freedom to play off / around Graham? And Foster / Holt supporting with width?

I can't believe there hasnt been more discussion around the video announcement of tiffoney. An absolute thing of beauty and if you said I had watched it over 50 times then you would be absolutely correct. I hope you win the league, scottish cup and league cup this year based on that video. 

Is that a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 - with Turner ahead of Bannigan and Docherty, with Tiffoney and Rudden both having freedom to play off / around Graham? And Foster / Holt supporting with width?

Yes but I saw it as a 4-3-2-1 Xmas tree formation.  Alternatively, it could be  4-3-1-2. Tiffoney would have a free role, supported by Turner pushing forward, behind the two strikers. But it's early days and McCall could yet bring another winger to provide competition and cover.

The Spiders' rent could fund at least one more signing but there's no need to rush with the squad in good shape already. Two goalkeepers and at least one centre-back will be the immediate priorities. Let's hope that McCall's targets are not on holiday in Portugal.

There's the possibility of a midfield diamond surely? Docherty at the base behind Turner and bannigan with Tiffoney at the point behind the strikers?

7 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

There's the possibility of a midfield diamond surely? Docherty at the base behind Turner and bannigan with Tiffoney at the point behind the strikers?

Its a possibility and a good choice to have.

But Graham's strength is in the air and Rudden thrives on those low balls into the box. We'd be reducing the effectiveness of our strikers if we set up too narrow.

Bloody hell that's a good kit. 

My one concern is that the away shorts being black might mean the home shorts are red again, though we had black home and away shorts this season so hopefully not. 

Edited by Fuctifano